Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 weeks post op medial plication, also 6 months pregnant  (Read 682 times)

Offline shanwhiting

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 weeks post op medial plication, also 6 months pregnant
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
HI all,
I have some questions for everyone in terms of recovery time and process.  I went in for surgery on Jan 22nd for a lateral release on my right knee, had a spinal done because I'm currently 6 months pregnant, and of course spinal wore off before the end of the surgery! Once he got in there he decided not to do the lateral release and just medial plication.  I guess I had so much plica he couldn't even see his sutures once he began and they went through 3 kits until they got it tightened down, they did do some shaving as well behind the knee cap,etc. to clean me up. 

I've tried to read as much as I could online about this procedure.  I am in a full immobilize for 6 weeks+, not allow to stand/walk with out it.  I am allow to remove it when sitting (occasionally) with my leg elevated and when sitting on a shower bench.  But not allow to stand in the shower without it yet.  I've been off the crutches since a week after the surgery, and only was allow to start PT 14 days after the surgery.

I can't help but feel that my OS is being very conservative with me, I'm guessing that the amount of plica he tightened up was pretty severe, because I've read other peoples recovery process was a lot more accelerated then this.

Only now 3 weeks out is the PT beginning to bend my knee, I had been in PT for months before the surgery trying to strengthen the quads,etc before the surgery.  She said I'm doing well, as I can tighten my quads, but we've only bent it once and I made it to 30 degrees with her pushing.  3 weeks post op, and I've only bent it once?  Does that make sense?  I trust this particular PT a lot as she is the one who immediately told me to get a second opinion after another OS started injecting cortisone in me at 30 years old and it did nothing for me. 

I'm happy the OS went on the conservative side during the surgery and made a judgment call.  He said this should get me 80% back to normal function in a couple of months.  But 4 weeks till I see him again, still with the immobilizer locked when standing and walking?  Is this normal? 

Is it me...or are they being really conservative? 

Offline MsShel330

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 3 weeks post op medial plication, also 6 months pregnant
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
Hi Shan,

I had a medial plication also on my right knee in 2005. Honestly I've forgotten some of the details (I posted them on here so you can probably find them by doing a 'search') but I was only in the immobilizer for 4 weeks so they might be taking a more cautious approach with you due to the pregnancy. After the immobilizer was removed I could bend my knee and I did, I think, 6 weeks of P/T.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. And congrats on the pregnancy.
Hereditary knee problems.
Tore meniscus in both knees, March 2005.
Partial menisectomy, medial plication and cartilege clean-up on rt. knee, July 2005.
Partial menisectomy on left knee, April 2007.
Tore meniscus in left knee again, Jan 2010, fixed in June 2010. Tore again in August 2011.