Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Radiology  (Read 1346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Run1

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Liked: 0
Radiology
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:57:13 AM »
Can anyone explain how a Radiologist determines whether a meniscus tear is a grade 1, 2, 3 or 4 ?

My MRI scan was diagnosed as a grade 3 yet I can still run with only slight discomfort on the inside of my knee for an hour after stopping. With a grade 3 tear, I would not have expected to be able to run.

This situation is making me reconsider the doctors suggestion to have Arthroscopic surgery. especially after reading some of the recovery stories here.

Offline Lottiefox

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2393
  • Liked: 16
Re: Radiology
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
As I understand it a Grade 3 is a proper "tear":

http://www.csmc.edu/9909.html

However many people do function adequately with tears, and some might not even realise they have them. The risk to weigh up is whether the tear will get worse without surgery - then you might end up with missing meniscus rather than mended. My friend had a Grade 3 mended through arthroscopy and was back on the football field 3 days later - not advisable  ::) but he made a fast recovery. It sounds like you're fit and active and that will help. Surgery of any kind is a risk, if symptoms aren't bad then watching and waiting could be an option. But be careful you know the risks of anything progressing if you don't deal with it.  :)

good luck!

Lottie  :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Run1

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Liked: 0
Re: Radiology
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
Hi Lottie,

Thanks for the reply, I have had a second opinion and received the same result. Even though I can still run I should have the op, he says that my brain is compartmentalising the pain, whatever that means !!!! still seems strange to me.

The OS did say that even with the MRI, until he gets inside the knee with his camera he cannot confirm if he needs to do a repair or a shaving, but he did say that I should have the op sooner rather than later.

Why do I get the feeling that all the OS want to do is operate, when all my running books say that this should be a last resort. Anyway, I have decided to do a half marathon next week and decide after that !!!!!

Thanks again,
Run1

Offline Lottiefox

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2393
  • Liked: 16
Re: Radiology
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Hi!

I like your style - do a half marathon and decide after that!  ;D  That'll certainly show if you get pain.  :D

I think surgeons will always tend towards the surgical option especially for a defined tear or anomoly. I guess its their job. Many people do function with a tear. If it reaches the stage where the risk of surgery outweighs the coping with it day to day you will probably realise it is time. As said, my friend's op was simple and fully effective. He lived with the tear for 3 years and that was a full on lifestyle (he is a personal trainer and keen Thai boxer), but eventually the wearing of a support, swelling and risk of more damage took him to the operating table.

I think you know your knee better than anyone and I'd say don't be rushed into surgery unless you are 120% sure.

Good luck with the half - which one are you doing? My friend is doing her 2nd Bath Half in March - I'll be cheering her on and drinking coffee. Easier on the knees.... ;) ;D :P

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Run1

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Liked: 0
Re: Radiology
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
Hi Lottie,

For some reason my knee seems to be getting better the more I run, something I cannot explain especially as the MRI confirmed a torn meniscus.

I have now cancelled my surgery and have started some strengthening exercises before my run on Friday. I am based in Dubai and the half marathon is in the northern Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah.

Since cancelling, the surgeon has called agreeing that I should hold the surgery until my symptoms interfer with running. At least now, I feel a little more in control !!!!

Run1