Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL problem  (Read 3796 times)

Offline rubyroo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL problem
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
 ???I  had an mri a week or so ago.  It  (radiologists report) said tha my acl is inflamed.   Somdeone told me that an inflamed acl is torn or severely damaged and therefore will probably be useless when the inflammation and swelling go down.  Is this true?  What's it like if I need to get it reconstructed?

ncarson

Re: ACL problem
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:54:23 PM »
If you have a small, partial tear of your ACL it certainly shouldn't be useless, I have a partial tear of my ACL which didnt need surgery and I could still do a lot of what I did before the tear, once the inflammation goes down you'll have a better idea of what kind of damage you have, it may be relatively small and wont need surgery to repair it, if it is severely damaged or if you do a lot of intense sport, there are surgeries to repair to the ACL, although not having had that particular surgery myself I can't really advise you on that, although there are plenty of people on this board that can, you may have to modify your sports a little depending on the extent of the damage and what procedure you have to fix it if necessary but it certainly shouldnt be useless whether you have surgery or not.  Good luck, hope its not too badly damaged.

Natalie.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
I had an mri on my right knee that said the acl was fine, then a scope that revealed a partial tear and then another mri that showed it was fine.  My OS said it would be strong enough, but the pt has shown me that it is not doing its proper job.  I categorically can't have reconstruction unless the pt doesn't work.  A partially torn acl is not the same as no acl or otherwise os's would just reconstruct it anyway.  Once you've got the swelling down a pt should be able to tell you wether the acl is functional or not, but it would have to be in a real mess to warrant reconstruction.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »
Your acl is inflamed for a reason - it might be a partial tear that hasn't shown on the MRI or it could simply be due to overuse or an awkward movement. Can you think of any triggers for the inflammation? Your first line of action  is to bring down the swelling (a course of decent NSAIDs should do the trick along with the usual RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and then assess the function. As said, many people exist with some form of damage to their acl or other ligaments. Mine is "attenuated" according to my MRI but it doesn't cause any problems (I leave that to my kneecap!).

Good luck and hopefully it will settle down once the inflammation has reduced.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
m.r.i's are not 100% acurate a lot of the time. My acl is ruptured but it did'nt show on on the m.r.i it was only when the o.s did  a scope that it was diagnosed from what I was told I had a lot of scar issue that gave the apperence of an intact acl so I think it is very difficult to find out for sure without a scope, or possibly if you go to p.t then they could maybe tell by doing there tests
I hope this helps Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

support