Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus diagnosis  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Run1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus diagnosis
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
I am having a big problem deciding if surgery is the right route and wondered if my symptoms are normal for a meniscus tear.

I have been having various calf and thigh strains in my right leg for the past 18 months but my recent symtoms started 11k into a 14k run.

At 11k, I had pain on the inside of my right knee, I massaged the area and completed my run. That night, the pain spread to the front of the knee and did not improve, eventually leaving me limping at which time I went to an OS. He completed some X-rays and an MRI scan of my knee and said that I had a horizontal, oblique medial meniscus tear and had 4 options, rest, injections, physio and arthroscopic surgery, but that only surgery would solve the problem.

Now, after 3 weeks, my knee feels normal and I managed a 3.5k run without any side effects and I am thinking that if I need surgery, how can I run without any problems ?

Is this normal after resting a tear and if I ran further would the pain return ?

I feel that I am being rushed into an operation which may not be necessary. All the running books I have read have advised surgery as a last resort.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Run1

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Meniscus diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:29:20 AM »
As I understand tears in the meniscus, a horizontal tear like yours isnt a full thicknes tear, top to bottom, it splits the meniscus in two, like stacking two pieces of bread, the tear is the horizontal "slit"between the two bread pieces. Once the initial inflammation/swelling went down, since the two torn pieces are still stacked on top of each other, you're still able to run okay. If you displace the torn piece, and make the damage flare up, it'll inevitably hurt again, as I understand it.

I'm no expert, this's just my explaination for what is going on, it makes sense to me .
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support