Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: finding someone for correct evaluation  (Read 2268 times)

Offline napost

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
finding someone for correct evaluation
« on: October 01, 2002, 02:22:49 PM »
 :Hello,  Am new to the board.  Have a 12 year old boy who may have patellofemural pain syndrome.  I live in Greece and would like to know of anyone with any experience here.  Otherwise would love to hear of good place in London UK to have him evaluated, maybe we can find where pain is coming from.
THanks

Iona_-Uk

Re: finding someone for correct evaluation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 08:21:27 PM »
Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that your son may be suffering from PFS, it's very painful and not very nice at to have to live with.

How long has your son been having knee pain? has he had any injury?, you may want to ask him this just in case it may be an injury.

There are a few good consultants in London, one is Mr Strover who works at the London Bridge hospital. The only draw back about coming to the UK for an assesment is that you would not be eligible to wait on the UK waiting list and been seen on the NHS free of charge, so you would most probably have to pay to see a Dr, unless of course, the surgeons in Greece do not feel that they can help your son and then they might be able to do something here for nothing. The cost of seeing an OS over here, privately is usually around 100-120.

It may also be worth exploring other options such as physiotherapy, as most surgeons will suggest this in the first instance for PFS.

Good Luck
Iona

Offline napost

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: finding someone for correct evaluation
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 05:43:18 PM »
Dear Iona,
Thanks for your reply.  He has been suffering for several months.  He is a very active football player, gymnast etc...and we are not aware of any significant specific injury.  His pain is when sitting for long periods, when going up/down stairs as well as when playing sports so I fear it is PFS from what I have read.  What I want to do is to evaluate his posture really well to see if it is from his back or his hips or his feet which I understand is quite usual for adolescent children.  This is what I feel I may not be able to do adequately here.  Any physio of course I will do here as I guess it will be long term.  Anyway thanks for your help, if I do decide on the UK I will check this DR out.
Nadia

support