Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chafing under knee brace  (Read 16967 times)

Offline mdawson7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chafing under knee brace
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »
Hi,
I was hoping someone might be able to help me.  I wear a Donjoy Defiance ACL knee brace when I play sports, mostly baseball and now racquestball.  I have actually had 3 ACL surgeries over the years and have always had chafing problems with the brace.

After my first surgery I wore a neopren sleeve under the brace but that was think and hot but I still got some chafing on the back of my knee from the straps.  I switched a the lycra knee sleeve after my second surgery but since that is thinner I got worse chafing.  So I started to wear under armor leggings under the sleeve and brace.  That helped a ton but is obvioulsy hot with baseball pants on in the summer.

I just started playing racquetball and didn't want to wear the leggings so I just wore the knee sleeve. After playing today I got bad chafing again.

Any suggestions out there on how I can prevent this?  The braces have all been custom fit so that is not the problem.

Thanks!
ACL on left knee '95.  ACL on left knee '03.  ACL on right knee '07.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Chafing under knee brace
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
With my Townsend Premier custom brace was a tubular cotton knit sleeve to use if the brace chafed. You might find something of the same sort at a surgical supply pharmacy. I can't vouch for how well it would work because I didn't have an occasion to use it but it might be worth a try...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »
What abour something like body glide in the areas that are chafing?
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline mdawson7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:21:07 AM »
I was wondering if there was some sort of cream or something.  That might work.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!  Anyone ever use Body Glide before for something like this?

Offline bracebaz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
Hi,
I use either tubigrip doubled up, which is a tubular cotton sleeve, but mostly a neoprene sleeve I put talcum powder on my leg & in the sleeve as this helps stop sweating.
Baz
,lcl,mcl,pcl tears 2001
braced for 2yrs no surgery.
jan 07 disloction pcl grade 2, lcl beyond repair.
 2011 diagnosed medial OA
Brace user up to 18 hrs a day
Holding off PKR

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
Baz wrote: "I put talcum powder on my leg & in the sleeve as this helps stop sweating."

A friend who had to wear a knee brace at one time said that he would rub anti-perspirant on his leg to stop the sweating.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:24:48 AM »
I was wondering if there was some sort of cream or something.  That might work.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!  Anyone ever use Body Glide before for something like this?

I used body glide on the hinge areas of my unloader, as they tend to rub (or rather, on my skin where the hinge areas rubs). I prefer it over stuff like aquaphor in that case, b/c bodyglide is nonstaining and washes out of clothing, etc.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline mdawson7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
Thanks!  I'll try that and see how it works!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:07:46 AM »
If you have just one particular strap or area that chafes, like the strap right behind the knee is a big one for me, I use a couple layers of polar fleece (my preference) or fake sheepskin fabric from the fabric/crafts store between the strap and my skin. Gives a bit of "breathability" right where that strap is, and the material absorbs/wicks away sweat, and the material is washable and resuable. you can also cut the fabric a bit wider than the strap, so that the edges of the strap/strap pad don't chafe either.

For commercial brace liners, a brand called "bracesox" is one I've tried and found lightweight, thin enough to not be hot to wear, and comes in several material types. This company even sent me a sample to try.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline mdawson7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
I'll look them up too.  Thanks!

support