Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cortisone shot possible...nervous please help  (Read 1047 times)

Offline sweetheart0517

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Cortisone shot possible...nervous please help
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
Okay so I am going to my Ortho today because my right knee is giving me some problems. I had a LR on my left knee about five years ago and my right is completely the same as my left and he has already mentioned having a LR on my right knee. Abotu a week ago I pulled my knee on the dance floor and it still hurts really bad behind my knee cap when straightening and gives out all the time. I am going to the ortho to get the process of everything started. I am leaving for vacation on Monday though and am going to have to do a lot of walking :( I am going to ask for a new brace but I am wondering if he is going to do a cortisone shot. I have never had one before but I heard they hurt really bad. What is the purpose of this shot, will it really help, does it hurt...ugh someone please help! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Lateral release 1-12-2005
Pt for what feels like forever...

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Cortisone shot possible...nervous please help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
Personally I wouldn't waste my time with a cortisone shot.  My OS gave me a cortisone shot in my right knee back in Aug.  Yes it hurt and my knee ached for a couple days.  I only got minimal pain relief from it and it was very short lived.  Within 2 wks my knee was hurting again.  So the shot did absolutely nothing for me.  I was offered another shot back in Dec and chose not to take it and going for my surgery next wed.

But everyone is different, it may help you.  You will have to talk to your OS and decide if its what you want and if there is any benefit to you.
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
I have to agree.....Cortisone shots have been a waste of time for me also. 

What I don't understand is why people make such a big deal of getting one???  I've had several in my time and they have never hurt that bad..Yes, you feel the shot and I was uncomfortable for a day or two but nothing horrible. 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »
There is no way to tell how a cortisone shot will work for you until you actually try one.  They work differently for different people.  I have had several into the bottom of my feet for plantar fasciitis (now those DO hurt because of the location!) and they have worked amazingly well, full relief for 3+ months each time.  Unfortunately, they do wear off and I ended up having surgery on both feet.

I've also had cortisone shots for sacroiliac joint inflammation and hip bursitis, and they have also worked, but not for as long as the foot ones did, and not as painful either.

There are risks with having too many cortisone shots, so most docs will only do a series of two of three injections and no more.  You never know if it'll work for you unless you try.  Depends on how much walking you'll be doing, if you can get relief with a brace or taping instead, etc.   

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled