Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'm stuggling with pain!!!  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I'm stuggling with pain!!!
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
I hurt my knee in November...I knew I tore my meniscus the second it happened.  I waited 6 weeks to go in, and after another 6 weeks got an MRI that confirmed a medial meniscus tear.  My doc said wait 6 weeks, and if its still bothering you, let's scope you..that was 3 weeks ago.  I've been through that drill 4 times on the other knee.  I really aggrivated it last weekend getting out of my car.  It's killing me.  If I do too much during the day I can pretty much guarantee that I won't sleep that night.  I've tried Advil and all of the over the counter stuff.  I pretty much in daily pain that's 5/10, and if I pivot wrong, slip, or even turn over in bed I get pain that's 9/10.  My next appointment is on February 16 (we are going to sched. surgery then), and I called to get an earlier date, and they were booked.  I'm going on a nonrefundable vacation on March 20, and I was considering holding off to get this fixed until I get back, but I can't imagine this pain for another two months (looks like I'll be crutching on the beach).  I'm so tired of dealing with my freaking knee every day!!!!

As I said, I've torn my meniscus before, but it has never hurt this bad.  I don't want a pain prescription...I want it fixed.  Sorry to vent here, but I've been through some nasty injuries from sports, and this one one of the worst.  Like I said, whatever I did this time is really bad...anyone else have serious pain from meniscus injuries?

Thanks,

AC

Offline badmoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: I'm stuggling with pain!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »
Hello there,

I'm so sorry you're going through all this pain right now and it sounds horrendous with the pain at a fairly constant level and even then at times almost unbearable.

Did you ask them to put you on any cancellation list (if one's available that is) for appointments?  If not or even if so then I'd keep phoning as you never know when  someone may cancel.

Good luck in getting it sorted and even more so for being pain-free or close to it at least and hopefully crutch-less too for your holiday. 

I'm a step ahead of you, feel bad for saying that given the pain you're in right now,  had my hospital appointment on Jan 12 and got my op on Feb 11.   Very lucky there's a fairly new treatment centre in the NW of England that just looks after orthopaedics.   Mine's a torn meniscus.  I've been very up and down with the pain and discomfort.  It's always there but in the main I get by, just dose myself up with paracetemol. (don't get on too well with anti inflammatories or codeine)   Have managed to continue doing front crawl 2 days a week but that's been less possible in the last couple of weeks.  I'm now in a lot of pain and discomfort.  It's affecting sleep, I feel grumpy and in a lot of pain whether I'm stretching my legs out, bending them or even walking.   Lots of new not so good sensations in my knee and a lot of pain and swellling so I do know exactly how you feel.

I'll keep everything crossed for you (left knee excepted..) that you get a cancellation and an early date for surgery asap. 

Take care.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
I know the pain has got to be driving you up the wall. Ice it every chance you can get. Try wrapping it with an ace bandage or neoprene sleeve and see if the compression helps with the pain. If you've got something slipping out of place, sometimes the compression can help with the pain, not always, but worth a shot. The ace bandage is the cheapest option to try, get the widest one you can. You can try a topical local painkiller like aspercreme that has aspirin in it, but be careful about how often you use it. You can also call the doc and see if you can stop by and pick up a script for painkillers until your office visit, because the pain is that bad. If you've got a torn piece pinched up in there, I'm not surprised you're in a lot of pain. The doc ought to be willing to at least give you enough meds to get you through until you can be seen in the office.

Mine was so bad at one point, when I finally got to surgery, when I was on all the montors preop, I was doing what's called agonal breathing from the pain and setting off the O2 sat monitor, and even though I didn't want preop meds, I got them anyway to stop me from doing that after the 3rd time I set of the oximeter. They don't like it when you set off the alarms on the monitors before surgery, so they dosed me up.... but not with the good stuff....they saved that for later.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
I iced on and off a few times after I got home from work.  I took an old painkiller from a previous surgery last night and I was able to sleep for a few hours without waking up.  That hasn't happened much for me over the past few weeks.  This morning I woke up and the pain was at a 3/10, just a nagging dull ache.  If I'm still, its nothing, but if I twist on it at all, it hurts a lot. So long as I walk perfectly straigt it's okay, certainly I've never paid so much attention to my gait.  I don't know if the "floating piece" is out of the joint or not, but I can make it two more weeks like this.  So weird.  After 5 pretty rough days, I feel like a have a break today.  It's amazing how a litte relief can lift your spirits.   I'm going to try to wrap it tonight after I ice.  I have this great compression sleeve, but it's too bid since it's from after my meniscus transplant on my other knee (I was really swollen). 

Yesterday was a rough day...thanks for the positive vibes I really appreciate them.  I can't wait to get this fixed. 

Offline jbtncusa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:29 AM »
icing and compression is a good pracitcie if you are opposed to prescription pain meds, also topicals can be very effective. i have a physical therapist that uses something called biofreeze and it helps a lot. i will only add this, pain is very stressful to the rest of your body and can trigger many things like increased blood pressure, gastro-intestinal problems, sleep interruption, etc. perhaps you should ask your doctor for a prescription for a mild pain med (ultram, darvocet) and an anti-inflammatory (naprosyn, mobic, celebrex), or a prescription topical application like voltaren gel. i have one other non-medical therapy that you may be interested in. i have used guided imagery for pain many times. there are several websites that have great guided imagery downloads. this relaxation technique is very effective and restorative. good luck. as a patient with chronic pain (i suffer from ankylosing spondilitis , an autio-immune arthritis) i understand your dilemma and wish you luck. giving in to pain does not make you a weak person, that is a hard concept for many to accept but one that i have found very helpful. jane

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
Thanks Jane, I have used visualization for many years.  I was a baseball player (college and minor leagues), and we had an amazing coach who worked with us on visualization...I'm a believer.  My doctor returns from his vacation next week, so I'm hoping to get in a little early.  I'm totally frustrated, and despite my icing, wrapping, and elevating last night, the pain is just there all night.  I wake up every time I roll over...which is a lot during the night.  I'll be calling first thing Monday morning to see about a "cancellation appointment" or to request a mild painkiller to get me through the nights. I wanted to get my surgery going before to get back to sports, but at this point, I just want the daily pain gone.  I've never dealt with the constant pain like this before....  I'm sorry to hear about your condition Jane...makes me feel silly for even complaining. 

Thank God for my Breg Ice Machine...it was a slice of heaven last night when I got home from work.

Heal well all.

AC

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
I called my OS again and tried to move up my appointment...not going to happen.  The other problem is I think its starting to affect my right knee.  I don't limp all the time, but I have been limping a lot. I had a meniscus transplant on my right knee in December 2008.  It has been great, but during a therapy/workout session yesterday it locked up and then popped back in (that's bad bad bad)...it hasn't happened since my surgery and now I'm scared about that knee too.

I played college and pro baseball (2 years in the minor leagues) as a catcher.  I have suffered from knee problems on and off for the past 15 years...I certainly don't regret the athletic career (it has led to a lot of my professional successes), but dealing with daily pain isn't something I thought would be in my future.  I'll be glad to have this resolved, and then I've got some lifestyle decisions to make.  Up until this year, I've been opposed to giving up my highly athletic lifestyle for a more restricted one, but shoot, I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. 

I don't want my kids to remember their dad being on crutches for their entire youth!!!

Today, I hate my knees...hate them.