Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What are the official waitning times for surgery? Have I been forgotten?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Marantha

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi all,

Long time no post.  (been having some family probs too sort out after a death so, havent been on in ages)

Basically I want too know the waiting times for orth surgery on the knee for a lateral release.

I was referred by my GP too see a surgeon on the 20th of August and I have had my pre operation assessment on the 20th November.

The problem is I dont know when my surgery is.  I was told it would be in Jan then Feb and then March.  I have rang the hospital and left 2 messages and no one has gotten back too me.

What do I do, I want too know the waiting time so, I can say too them look I have been waiting over that time.  I was told by a friend that you are meant too have surgery before the 12 week mark after the pre assessment which I has in November if that is the case I am meant too have surgery about the 12th feb but I dont think that will happen as I havent heard anything.

If anyone could shred any light on this that would be great.

Many Thanks

Maz
2009 Physio
30/10/2009 OS appointment confirmed patella tilt, very hypermobile, and a rare bone deformity called hypoplastic medial femoral condyle.
10/03/2010 LR preformed and chondromalacia grade 1 spotted

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Re: What are the official waitning times for surgery? Have I been forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
Are you in the UK? If so then the target for the NHS is usually 18 weeks from when you were added to the waiting list usually. I know a lot of hospitals had to cancel operations because of weather and various viruses which can delay things.

Best thing you can do is ring the OS's secretary who should be able to tell you something.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
Hi Maz,

If you are NHS then definitely call your OS secretary.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but every OS appointment I have had since September has happened ONLY because I have called to follow it up.... !!!!

Now I go to the lovely (but overworked) OS secretary direct and she sorts it out :-) ......

Just explain your situation to the OS, sometimes it helps to make your name known ....

Good Luck!!
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
I have found that also that making contact with the OS secretary tends to get help. I phoned mine recently about a follow up appointment and when I rang she said while I have you on the phone we can arrange my surgery.

So it is definetly worth making contact, especially if you have had the pre admission appointment as in the hospital I go to they dont do that till you are within weeks of your sugery date.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
I'm not sure where you are located,  I am in Canada.  From the time I had my last appt with my OS on Nov 5th it will be 3 months to surgery date. I had to wait 2 months to get the date.  I go on Feb 3rd, next Wed.  And from what I have heard that is pretty standard for waiting time here.  However, it has taken an entire year to get to this point.

Definately give the OS's office a call and see what you  can find out.  I had to do that and only got the date I got because of a cancellation from soneone else.

Good luck to you. :)
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy

Offline Marantha

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Thanks all,

They have said because of the weather and sickness all there waiting times are a mess.  But I will either have surgery when a cancellation comes up or my surgery date which they dont know yet but they said the first or second week in March.

I cant wait even through this surgery has only a 30% chance of sorting my problem out, I just cant stand the pain any longer.

Thank you all

With love and hugs xx
2009 Physio
30/10/2009 OS appointment confirmed patella tilt, very hypermobile, and a rare bone deformity called hypoplastic medial femoral condyle.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »
I had a similar thing happen last year, I shouldve have gone in for my RK TTT in February but end up going in the following month which was down to cancellations due to an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

You will get there eventually but at least you know now they havent forgotten you.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
Hi Marantha,

I assuming you are from the UK and using the NHS which are not that reliable as I found out the hard way. It took over 2 years before I got anywhere with the NHS and ended up having surgery after being messed around for 2 years. I saw the OS on 30th June 2009 and was put on the waiting list and had surgery 18 weeks lator on 16th November 2009. I rang up at the beginning of November and was told I was having my surgery on Monday 16th November. The letter arrived in the post 2 weeks before my surgery which was short notice, so just as well I rang up the hospital.

I waited 3 months for my 1st physio appointment on the NHS so not very impressed with the NHS. At least you now have some idea when you will have your surgery there nothing worse the not knowing when its going to happen. Good luck when you finally have your surgery.

Nick :) {2010} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Marantha

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
Hi yes I am from the UK.

I hope they dont forget too put me through Physio...thats a disaster as I have a bone diformity too so the chances are my recovery from teh LR will be slow.  I am worried though because my surgeon said he might preform the LR but might not, it depends on what he sees but from my x-ray I have a patella tilt and I have hypermobility along with hypoplastic meidial ...something or other...its a long word.

But I cannot find anything on that hypoplastic condition so, I am assuming its rare.  And trust me too have it.

But back too the point, apparently its 18 weeks from the time your GP referred you and I was refferd on the 20th August 09....hmmm, thats about 22 weeks ago from todays day which is 28/01/2010.  That too me is terrible, I know am complaining but the pain I am in is like wow, and apparently I am likely too get worse.

Never mind I suppose I could have it worse.  Thanks all xx
2009 Physio

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
Hi again,

You may well find that they do not put you through physio after surgery as I was never was offered any phyiso on the NHS and had to find a private physio. The after care I got from the NHS was appalling as I was never given any crutches when I left the hospital and was unsteady on my feet and knee gave in at times so ended up using a walking stick my mum had in her garage.

I injured my knee in October 2007 and saw my GP in January 2008 and got a refferal to see a physio that took over 3 months. When I saw the physio was reffered to another one at the hospital who was useless as he thought I did not have a knee problem. I ended up seeing an OS at his private clinic and on the 23rd April 2009 and as you know had surgery in November 2009. I never saw him again at the NHS hospital he works at but saw his registrar who also did the surgery and was annoyed it was not the OS I wanted to operate on me who ment to be one of the UK's top knee surgeons.

I hope you get as date for your surgery soon its taking too long you waited far to long.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support