Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brace for partial ace tear  (Read 889 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Brace for partial ace tear
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
I saw my pt today, he's really happy with the chrondoplasty, but he showed me just how bad my acl is.  He showed me that the legwas going too far worward and all the symptoms I reported were as a result of the acl tear.  One thing I neglected to ask was braces.  I only ahve a partial tear so my knee doesn't collapse and it doesn't actually give but it does feel week and combersome.  If I lean over to reach for something and shift my weight about it becomes apparent how week the leg is.

What I want to know is, would a brace help?
And if I wore a brace and had good muscles round the knee including calve and hamstrings would give me normal function and allow me to turn easier and pivot.

I don't think know if any OS would give me a reconstruction since its only a partial tear, so I thought I'd see if a brace would help.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

vinnic

Re: Brace for partial ace tear
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »
Kscope, you should talk with your OS about braces.  I had partial tear for twelve years before my full tear.  I got along quite nicely with a custom brace and modified activities.  The only thing I neglected after awhile is keeping the leg muscles in tiptop shape by keeping up with my rehab exercises.  I wore a CTI2 brace, and that allowed me to go skiing (once on a bunny hill though), ice skating, roller blading, and other activities - but I did give up all dance classes that required more turning, twisting, etc (ballet, tap, jazz, modern).  If you do get a brace, make sure you research them first and really go prepared with what you'd like your OS to prescribe.  My new OS (post-aclr) prescribed a DJ Defiance which I absolutely hate.  I'll be going back to him for a Townsend in the spring/summer when I can return to my rehab activities this time around (just had an emergency laparoscopy and laparatomy for ruptured appendix/peritonitis).  Best of luck to you.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »
I want to be able to get back into karate and that involves lots of twisting, pivoting and pushing off.  I was hoping maybe a brace would allow me to do that, bu since it didn't help you with dancing then I'm not so sure.  It's not so easy to ask my OS because its either 200 or about 8 weeks wait (NHS) if I want to see him.  I'm going to give my pt a ring this week so I'll see if he can recommend one.  I had thought the Donjoys were quite good from what I'd read before, so I'll see what he say's.

Even if it can't help me with Karate i'd still consider getting one for days when i've got to be on my feet for a while or do a lot of walking (especially since where I live is all hills).
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

vinnic

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »
Really, it may be worth your while to wait and have a talk with your OS.  He/she can prescribe you a custom brace versus an off-the-shelf brace.  And, that could make a difference for you.  Giving up dance was a personal choice; although I loved it I knew I could live without it since I wasn't a professional.  And, I could still do a lot of my other favorite activities like dancing for fun (versus classes), rollerblading, walking, etc.  Depending on the grade of your acl tear and your lifestyle, your surgeon can recommend what course might be best to try - rehab, brace, modifying activities, surgery, etc.  Give the boards and website a good search too - you may come across some more helpful posters into karate who use braces or have posted their experiences with a particular brand, model...(Townsend, Breg, DJ, Ossur, etc.).  Also, if your knee is still bothering you/giving out during daily activities such as walking or stairs with your partial tear, then definitely have a talk with your OS.  Good luck and hope your knee troubles get sorted soon enough!

support