Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: To Meniscectomy or Not, That's My Question  (Read 1511 times)

Offline flmarchmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
To Meniscectomy or Not, That's My Question
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
I am new to the boards and have read several posts about meniscus tears.  I just wanted to get some opinions/ personal experiences and perspective on my situation.
I am a 30 yr. old female.  I'm a stay-at-home mom to two toddlers (2yrs and 1yr old) needless to say I do lots of squatting bending crawling around on my knees, ect.   I'm trying to decided what I should have done concerning my torn meniscus.
Background Info:
I had ACL surgery, using a graph from my patella tendon, 6 years ago.  They also found a small meniscus tear which they repaired at the time. 
I recently had an MRI due to pain in my knee and found a torn flap in my lateral meniscus.
I do not know if it is the same tear as was repaired during my ACL surgery (I've requested surgical notes to determine this).
The doctor gave me three options. 
1.  Do nothing, let it be but no high impact running, ect. (this is hard since I'm very active and probably run 3 times a week and cross train 2 times a week)
2.  Have a meniscectomy, he estimates 1/3 to 1/2 removal.
3.  Have a repair with stitches, he is hesitant about this due to how small my children are and rehab required.

I'm leaning towards a meniscectomy; however, I'm frightened of osteoarthritis. 
All suggestions are welcome

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: To Meniscectomy or Not, That's My Question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »
Were I in that situation, I would say go in, TRY for the repair if he thinks it's possible. You can always clip later, You only get one meniscus (well, in theory).

Do you have someone who could help you with the kids for a bit?
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
I've had 3 meniscectomies on my right knee leaving me with 20%.  That finally tore, and I ended up with a meniscus transplant which worked wonders, but was a very rough rehab.  I'm in the same boat as you on the left knee now...I have a tear that needs to be addressed.  I found the best guy in my region to try and preserve my meniscus with a repair...I'm not loving the rehab, but you only get so much of it. 

Good luck

Offline flmarchmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »
I could get help for some time with my children.  But how log is the rehab?  And how much does the surgery/rehab hurt?  If it is anything like my ACL surgery, I don't know if I'm in for that much pain again.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:14:32 AM »
Everyone is different, so it's hard to say...but a repair is 4-8 weeks in a brace/crutches. With just a clip, you may walk out of hospital on your own, or only be on crutches for a few days.

As far as pain, well, again, it depends. I've not had a repair, but I will say I'm more than willing to put up with 4, 6, 10, 16 weeks of discomfort and inconvenience if it meant getting my knee back to normal as possible.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline flmarchmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:31:45 AM »
Everyone is different, so it's hard to say...but a repair is 4-8 weeks in a brace/crutches. With just a clip, you may walk out of hospital on your own, or only be on crutches for a few days.

As far as pain, well, again, it depends. I've not had a repair, but I will say I'm more than willing to put up with 4, 6, 10, 16 weeks of discomfort and inconvenience if it meant getting my knee back to normal as possible.

Thanks, this info really helps with my decision. 

support