Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cracking noise from knee area  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Cracking noise from knee area
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
I was recently diagnosed with a rupture to my acl in my right knee @ i am currently waiting a date for surgery

however prior to that and at the moment i have been working to regain strength in both legs etc to give me more stability pending the surgery

i was doing hamstring and think i may have overdone the weight and felt alot of tenderness in my uneffected leg and have been aware of swelling at the back of the left knee. I think because of my acl injury i am more concious to pops cracks  etc in my knees probably just a fear of further injury

Anyway whati have been aware of is when my left left is striaght out infront of me and i cross my right over the leg and place a bit of downward pressure i get a very loud crack @ a feeling of the tib @ fremure cracking off each other

i have no pain in it, and have a full range of movement. Is this common or am i being a bit paranoid

any feedback would be appreciated

cheers

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
Re: Cracking noise from knee area
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »
i think its coming from the kneecap & something i have considered is i have have injured the left knee at an extent at the time the right acl was torn ?

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »
sorry I dont have an answer for you I'm kinda new to all this knee stuff
I have read alot on this board and I know people have compared swelling to the back of the knee to a backers cyst and that is usually due to a meniscis tear so maybe thats something you should look into.
As for your acl rupture do you have any medial pain as I have been diagnosed with a acl rupture 3 weeks ago after my  original injury 18 months ago and the pain has been my main problem during this time
At the moment I am trying to decide whether to have the reconstuction or not If I can find out if the acl injury is causing my medial pain then I would go for the recon but if its coming from somwhere else and the fact that I dont have instability I would rather not have it done
I hope you get some answers for your problem and you start to feel beter soon.   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »
my acl rupture happened back in august 09, and it was through martial arts, the mcl tore as well and it was obvious the mcl had gone. The mcl gives me the odd tweak but nothing bad, for me the leg just isnt as stable as the other.

the only other obvious sign is when i straighten the leg is goes a bit further and hyperextends. I havnt had it giving way, but i would trust it tbh

the left leg is probably me being too concious , but i think i have hurt it going to heavy on deadlift as i dont have any pain just a bit of clicking. I reckon you become a bit too para as you begin to think about the knees alot haha

I am going for the op as i need a stable knee for my job. But i have given up the martial arts as im not going through this again . Just gonna stick to road racing with the bike.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Is it a one off "crack" that happens? My bad knee does the same - usually when its been extended and then I flex it, both when standing or when sitting. I've got patella cartilage damage and to me it *feels* like it is the patella snapping against something as it moves downwards. It doesn't hurt (I save my pain for descending stairs...)but it can wake the cat at 30 paces.  :o

I suspect you might have just overdone it a bit of you've been deadlifting and are listening for all the noises. Plus your good knee always works harder when you have an injury with the bad one, so you might just have a bit of general tired-knee syndrome!
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:15:38 AM »
Your left knee might just be overworked at the moment since it is compensating for the injured right knee. After I had a microfracture on my left knee my right knee began to bother me and swell up a little. My right knee would get really sore and sometimes put me in more discomfort than the left knee that had just had surgery. As I went through PT, I noticed my right knee began to bother me less and less as my left knee got stronger and stronger. Even now, I am still working to balance the two knees out, there needs to be balance between the amount of load/stress that each knee takes in order to prevent injury and pain in either knee.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline Bazzak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
cheers thanks for replies

i have actually have clicking on extension and its catching when walking, no pain, just an anoying feeling. I guess i have hurt something in the capsule. WHen i injured my right knee, for months after i could kneel on my heels however over time it got better to the point i dont get any pain

the left knee injury is weird as there is no pain just a sensation of catching and tension at back of knee when its extended straight

support