Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kneecap "jumping" into trochlear groove  (Read 865 times)

Offline Kates327

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Kneecap "jumping" into trochlear groove
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
Hi all-

I had a partial knee replacement in June of 2009.  I am only 26 years old and as such have 2 cadavers in my knee instead of metal and plastic, I received a kneecap from one and a trochlear groove from the other.  My kneecap used to dislocate very often (and the left knee still does as it has not been fixed yet) but I destroyed my knee to the point of being bone on bone.  All I want to be able to do is walk and go up/down stairs and hills, nothing major, just simple everyday activities without pain and discomfort.  The surgery went very well and I am finally stable after 15 years of dislocating.  I am so excited about that.  The problem is however, my kneecap now seems to "jump" into my new groove.  My surgeon has never seen this before (and that is partly due to the fact that very few full trochlear groove replacements have been done) and is hesitant to fix it and she doesn't even know if it would get better.  This jumping happens all the time, mostly when I move through the 60 -90 degree range (I have gotten my full ROM back)... but this jumping doesn't hurt it is just uncomfortable and just plain strange.  I am to the point where I cannot live with this jumping for the rest of my life.  It jumps when I walk up and downstairs and when I get into and out of my car ... basically all the time.  You can actually see it happen as well, it is pretty gross. 

I guess my question is has anyone ever seen this problem before?  Does it get better with time or through strengthening?  Or is this something that will progressively get worse?  I am lost as to what my options are to make this better.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Kneecap "jumping" into trochlear groove
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »
Wish I had an answer.  My kneecap did that after my last LR (it was also pretty worn out anyway so no cartilage to hold it in place).  I can't help but think that there would be some where on both the grove and kneecap after a while.  At least it is not painful.  Is the kneecap alignment correct?  Maybe one side or the other is lax in the soft tissues or something.  Very strane indeed. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support