Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Vacation 3 weeks after knee surgery????  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Vacation 3 weeks after knee surgery????
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
I'm trying to schedule my meniscus repair/meniscectomy surgery and unfortunately the only time I really have due to work (and life stuff) is about 2-3 weeks before my vacation to Hawaii.  I've had meniscectomies before, and if that's all they do, I'll be fine to go over, but if they repair it (which I sort of hope they can considering the negative results of cutting it out), I'm pretty sure I'll be on crutches still.  It's a 5.5 hour flight, and our condo is basically on the beach, but man I can't imagine being stuck in a beach chair for the entire trip.  Plus, you pretty much have to walk to everything around there.

Has anyone vacationed on crutches?  What types of things went well or bad?  I would be bummed to do it before I go, but I just don't know how I can wait until the end of summer with the pain I'm having. Any recommendations or things to consider?

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Vacation 3 weeks after knee surgery????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
After my microfracture in 2002, I pretty much did everything on crutches for 8+ weeks...including camping (several times), hiking, even did a race. Getting in and out of a tent sucked, that was pretty much the worst of it. I didn't do any technical hikes, so that was okay...but I missed out when others got to go MTB riding. I think a lot of it will depend on how agile you are on crutches... although I woudln't want to crutch in the sand.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Vacation 3 weeks after knee surgery????
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:43:09 PM »
Nice!!!  I'm a crutch veteran, so I'm agile.  I haven't flown and been on crutches, and I'm wondering about the dreaded sand (there is a pool though).  I have a 7 and 4 year old, and traveling with them is quite the workout without being on crutches.  My wife will be with me, but I'm nervous about being comfortable on the plane both ways.  I won't know what they are going to do until they get in there, and the uncertainty might just make me wait.  However, I have two weddings I'm in after I get back, so there isn't any good time.

Racing on crutches!!! too hardcore for me.

AC

support