Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy questions.  (Read 937 times)

Offline bluey27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
High Tibial Osteotomy questions.
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:16:07 AM »
G'day guys,

I'm new here and on Feb 8 I'm going in for a HTO.  I have 2 questions for anyone who may be able to help.

1. I live in a double story house and I'm wanting to go straight into one of the bedrooms that is air conditioned upstairs. ( I live in Brisbane Austalia and its been over 30 C every day ). I was wondering if it will be possible to get up the stairs once I leave hospital?  Even if I edge up on my backside. Once I'm up there I can stay up there till I heal more.

2. Can you use the toilet once home or do you need a bedpan etc. for the first few weeks?

Cheers
Brad

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
I would imagine you'd want someone there to see you up, just in case, but I'm sure you can do it (how facile are you with crutches?). I think dragging yourself up would be terribly painful...but crutching would be possible. At least I HOPE it's possible, or I will be trapped in my garage starting next week, myself :p

AFAIK, most folks are able to crutch to the bathroom. You may want a grab bar to help yourself up and down, and maybe a stool to put your leg up on to help you sit, but...
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline bluey27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0