Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus damage  (Read 915 times)

Offline Aidie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus damage
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »
Hi - I recently injured me knee and my physio has indicated that I have damaged my medial meniscus,  the extent of damage is still unknown whilst I await an MRI scan.  I have noticed 7 days after the injury,  that my calf muscle aches and there is a definate pain at the back (inside soft area) of my knee.  This pain eases and infact ceases on stretching,  but restricts my movement.  Any ideas what this might be?  I was please with the progress prior to this and I  had hoped that the meniscus damage might not need surgery....is this a set back?  Could this be muscle damage due to my limp.  I started walking without a crutch on day 3 post injury.  The injury was 7 days ago.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Meniscus damage
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
The back of yoru knee could be a baker's cyst--they often fill up with a meniscal injury, and can certainly inhibit ROM.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline TriGuy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
Hi Aidie, I have a similar condition and its driving me nuts.., I slipped on some ice while out run training.., I did have an MRI and my OS told me I was OK to continue training.., I race IronMan Triathlons and this was great news.., the muscles around my knee are strong from bike training and weight work.., I was pleased not to have surgery.., but recently the pain has returned big time and although my knee does not lock or click or swell.. it has started to really hurt in the soft tissue behind the knee and I am not recovering from post long run training without limping for days..., I will go back and see my OS..., I don't want to be a moan-ass and I can manage a certain amount of pain...I am 55 so I guess that's to be expected.., but can't go on like this...I am nervous regarding the surgery option as I would like to continue with my sports activities...but also nervous of making thing worse...'what to do...???'

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
The pain at the back of the knee could very well be a Baker's cyst (also called a popliteal cyst), and I think it's pretty common with meniscal injuries.  I've had one for years, but it's small and has never been painful so I've never had anything done for it. 

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

support