Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI - 6 years on and still doing great!  (Read 13772 times)

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: MACI - 6 years on and still doing great!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Hi Neal....do you remember the comprehensive rehab protocol that helped you get strong....any particular exercise that you feel helped most?

Offline NeilG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »
Hi Slyguy.

I would perform/still perform the following circuit 3/5 times. Make sure that you OS or physio is ok with you

Single leg bum lift(bridge) x8
Single leg squat with medicine ball x8
Single leg dead lift x8
Single leg killer squat with medicine ball x8 (these are the ones that you perform off a raised platform so that you can squat lower)
Single leg eccentric hamstring curl x8 (use very light resistance.use both legs for the initial part of the move. Then lower as slowly as possible with one leg - 20 seconds as guide).
Single eccentric leg press on machine X8. (again use both legs for the first stage and perform the second part very slowly).
Single leg calf raise with medicine ball. x8

At first I would use minimal resistance and perform the above circuit most days. Over time I increased the resistance but reduced the frequency of my sessions to 3 times a week.

Make sure that you OS or physio is ok with you doing these exercises. I would hate to suggest something that could re-injure the knee.

Offline CR_UK

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
Hi Neal
Like Renn, I also feel so much more hopeful after reading your post. I very much mirror what you describe in  one step forward one back. It just appears that I keep having one step forward  then 2 back.

I'm now 10 months post MACI MFC, graft site just outside full extension ie when knee locks and unlocks. I have never been able to do SLR as leads to step back. After 8 months my medial quad finally started to kick in (had switched off for the last 4 years in view of its action ..last few degrees of extension) However, since its been a very rocky road with constant setbacks as the med quad is inconsistent and imbalanced in its action. I have had to dial back my activity significantly as it gets tired and then causes all this imbalance. My latest setback occurred just from walking in sandals half a mile (usually in trainers with unloader brace and walking stick) as things had been going really well. (had cycled 25 km on holiday with ebike around a lake in the Alps. Really recommend ebike !! ;D) Rest did not help... could not walk properly as graft site very painful, including in activity such as just turning around in bed. After 3 weeks of not improving despite everything I went back onto crutches to help unload the graft site and it appears to have helped. I feel so dark about this and that it has'nt worked as I'm still worse off than preop. The graft site is just so tender.( I had really thought by know it would be hardening and more resilient.) However reading your post gives me hope again. :)

Offline AARON14

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
hi julian

i understand u r probably not in the u.s.a . the reason i'm saying that is because the maci is not approved yet in the u.s.a .   where did u had this procedure ?  what is the difference between this one and aci ?  how fast did u heal ? did u lost range of motion?

i had my biopsy for the aci + " fulkerson " osteotomy procedure , on 9/13 . i have stitches in three places that i was scoped at , and lost range of motion . it's hard for me to bend my knee .

would love to hear from you !

aaron

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
Hi Aaron

When I had my cartilage transplant surgery at RNOH Stanmore was under the impression it was a MACI, it was only the following January at review that I found out that it had been ACI, the doctor explained that there currently was no significant difference in clinical outcome and that it was down to individual surgeons as to which one they felt more comfortable with.

I had my ACI a year ago in August and its worked well in terms of mobility although didn't completely leave me pain free which they are looking into at the moment. I can bend my knee to 115 - 120 degrees but can only straighten it too 0 unlike my 'good' knee which will go to about -10, I haven't lost any ROM due to the ACI, it was carried out to correct an issue in the middle of the bending range.

All the best for your recovery, be patient.

Regards Andrew
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(