Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 month post surgery  (Read 1400 times)

Offline noogie98

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
1 month post surgery
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:34:04 AM »
I joined this site at the suggestion of my physical therapist; she thought I could use the morale support.á

I had a meniscus repair last June 2009; I had a total knee replacement June 28, 2010 on the same knee, and I am having a rough recovery. I had a sadistic CPM machine when I first came home from the hospital that beat me up and bruised me every time I used it; the machine was an older model that needed to be retired.á I have gotten stuck in a rocking chair that sat too low to the ground while home by myself; I was stuck in the chair for almost an hour until someone came home & got me out of the darn thing (I am now banned from sitting in the chair until fully recovered).á I have fallen to the floor while home by myself, knocking over my laptop and my walker in the process. Most recently, I slipped on a rug in my bathroom yesterday, almost ripped the wash basin out of the wall to keep from falling again.

I hurt regularly, especially at night, and cannot sleep. I don't think I have gotten a decent nights sleep (except for my 2 different surgery nights - I was literally knocked out on morphine for both) since before I initially hurt my knee in early December 2008. I am taking Vicodin for the pain, but it does not help me sleep. I took a Lunesta the other night at 9 pm, and did not fall asleep until 4 am...

I hate for my first post here to be one where I feel like I am a whining, complaining person but I really could use some suggestions on dealing with not being able to sleep at night. I will have to eventually return to work & at that time sleeping during the day will not be an option. I would seriously kill for a good night's sleep... any and all thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: 1 month post surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »
Hi Noogie and welcome,

I can't offer any sleeping advice but I am sure other people on here will be along soon to help. Could I also suggest you post this down in the Total Knee Replacement section of the Arthritis forum, as many people there will have been through exactly the same thing as you - the "Up all night club" I believe they are known as!!  :D  They don't always look at post op diaries so you may find you get more responses.

I guess you're only 4 weeks post MAJOR knee surgery and from reading other peoples' diaries after TKR it does take several weeks to months to start a decent sleep pattern. You have had your leg chopped in half virtually and rebuilt, so it is a long process. I am sure you'll get there but see what other TKR people can offer. Are you doing all the normal icing and elevation etc to try and get the knee as comfortable as you can before trying to sleep?

Oh and you're not whining - just frustrated and a bit tired! Things will get better - the only way is up now you've got a bionic knee!!

All the best

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
Welcome Noogie

Dont be so hard on yourself, you are recovering from major surgery that replaced a complete joint that is heavily relied upon by your body.

Compared to you I have had an anterior cruciate ligament replacement (ACLr), I am 4 weeks post op and still struggle with pain and some intermittent sleeplessness. 

I am sure things will start to improve, you do need to take care when moving around.  Rely on walking aids (crutches/stand) if this helps in difficult circumstances or when tired.

Perhaps talk to your Dr about different pain meds if the ones you are taking are not effective enough.

Keep up the initial PT exercises you were given when discharged from hospital - these are good for getting the blood moving around and providing stimulation to the necessary muscles and nerves for stability.

Try some light massage on the upper and lower leg to stimulate the nerves.

Sorry you may have already done all of this - dont mean to patronising.

Please keep posting tolet us know how things are going and if you need any questions answering or want to share how you are feeling.

Take care
Zaiem

Offline noogie98

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »
Thank you, Lottie, for your suggestion; I realized last night after posting this that it would probably be better on another discussion group. I reposted it on the page for encouragement & support. I will definitely check our the TKR section you mentioned. I am still trying to figure my way around here, but so far, I love it. Everyone has been so understanding & I wish I had found this site after my 1st surgery. I am now waiting to here the 'bionic swish' when I walk!  ;)

Zaiem, thank you as well for the encouragement; I greatly appreciate it. PT visits me 3 times a week, and when she is not here, she trained my wonderful husband to assist me with my exercises. I also have about 5 medium sized gel ice packs that are getting worked more than they ever bargained for when they left the ACE factory as well as a wonderful large gel ice pack that can be zippered around my leg & inflated to conform to my knee that I use daily. I swear that it was the best $79 I ever spent! And as far as feeling like you are patronizing, don't. I am feeling like a Zombie these days, and that thought never entered my poor, tired brain!

Thank you both for making me remember that this is an extremely major surgery and that the recovery is going to take some time. I guess I am just so impatient that it makes me a bit frustrated and on edge. I appreciate you both taking the time to answer me. Thanks!

Offline LARSknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
A big welcome Noogie and we are all on here to support each other on our pre and post surgery journeys.
I  found this site several weeks ago while researching recovery protocol for my surgery,it has been a great help for me.
On wednesday i will be on my recovery journey,and look forward to being able to come and share my highs and lows and get advice from everyone.
As a nurse i am aware that healing can be a slow process,especially after major surgery we sometimes have to just let our bodies have time ćo heal while at the same time fuelling the body with a diet to aid recovery and getting mobility back slowly and steadily.
I am going to try some homeopathic medicines to aid post op swelling and recovery,and have booked an acupuncture session to reduce swelling 3 days post surgery,have never had acupuncture before so will be interested to see the results.
Stay positive and dont feel guilty for posting negative thoughts,we are all human and getting advice from others help us become more positive.

Good luck with the recovery process

Shelli :>)

Offline noogie98

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
Shelli,

Good luck with your surgery. Let me know how the acupuncture works; as much as I hate needles, I am still curious to know if it works for the swelling, since my left leg is twice the size of my right.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!