Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bucket Handle Tear - 2 weeks post op!  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Netball Nat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bucket Handle Tear - 2 weeks post op!
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
Hey everyone

I am 2 weeks post op, had a medial meniscus repair.  Swelling gone down no major pains except....when i put my wieght down I get a sharp pain through the centre of my kneecap.

I am not supposed to put more than 50% weight down until i see consultant at 2 weeks (which is tom). I am still using two cructhes but only cos thats what i was told to do in recovery. My brace is fixed at 30% extension. Not doing any exercises as I wasn't given any told to just make sure i keep mobile!

Ayone know when I might be able to have brace extension increased? walk with just one crutch? how long before driving?!!!!

Due to fly on 10th Aug anyone else flown post op? any tips? I know the space in front of the seat will be a struggle if brace extension isnt increased!!!

Look forward to your reply x

Offline zaiemk

• Regular Poster
Re: Bucket Handle Tear - 2 weeks post op!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
Hi Netball Nat

I'm not sure what to say - I'd follow your OS's instructions.  Are you ice-ing the knee - this may ease off the pain behind the kneecap?  Have you been advised to do any patella mobilisations?

You could also do with some Physio advice from the hospital PT.

I do think 10th Aug is a few weeks off yet and that you will be at greater flex by then, if the flight isnt too long you should be OK, but try to keep the leg extended when you can.

Take care
Zaiem

Offline Netball Nat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Bucket Handle Tear - 2 weeks post op!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »
Hi Zaiem
The pain is the front of my patella starts at the top running down to top of tibia, it feels like a bone type pain if that makes sense!
Will def mention tomorrow with the OS, hopefully he will start me on some PT too.

Another thing I forgeot to mention in my first message is 'HAs anyone suffered severe loss of breathlessness after the op?'
I cannot hobble far without panting for breath, it makes me feel faint and dizzy. I was checked out on Friday for possible blood clot in my lung but it was all clear.

Its hard to believe its just loss of fitness from 6 weeks of sitting on my butt! I was very fit running several times a week prior to my injury so this breathing problem is quite worrying:(

Any ideas?