Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR - IT STARTED WITH A FROG  (Read 2168 times)

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
TKR - IT STARTED WITH A FROG
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Howdy all!
Well, I'm back.

I'm now a 55 year old active single female.  I used to enjoy racing sailboats, working around the house, and traveling.  I'm a Merchant Mariner, and my job can be be very physically demanding

In March 2006, while walking on a dock in Guam, I slipped on a frog (yes, a frog), and hurt my knee.  Had a scope, and was getting better.  My OS recommended riding a bike, so I did.
In October, while riding my bike out of town, I hit a gravel patch, and went down - flaying the knee open.  Emergency Room stitched everything back together.  Knee refused to improve. 
April 2007 - OS decided to do medial tune-up and TTT.  The scope and medial tune-up went well, but when OS made big TTT incision, he found massive amounts of black infected gunk, and many pieces of leftover gravel.  No go on the TTT - he spent forever cleaning the gunk out.  After about 10 days incision developed a 1 inch split between staples - which drained gunk and bloody blobs - so back to surgery for more debridement and joint powerwash.  Also, the gunk's culture came back as some bizarre bacteria with an 80% fatality rate. Lots of really horrible antibiotics.  My OS said he would no longer consider any more surgeries because of the infections.
Spent a year looking for another OS - everyone petrified of infection.  Finally found one who did not dismiss surgery completely.  He isn't the friendliest guy, but he is a hot shot - and the only OS who will see me.
Tried cortisone and Synvisc - didn't help, much, but I was able to go back to work.  ( I am an officer on civilian manned US Navy ships)
FINALLY - hot shot doc said he would consider surgery, but first - he wanted to fix my other knee - which had crapped out due to overuse.
July 2009 - scope on "good" knee.  No infection or other problems - Piece of cake! 
August 2009 - Hot shot doc says he will fix knee, but now best option is TKR.  I decide to wait til after my daughter's wedding (in Costa Rica) in November.
Now, it's January 2010, and my left TKR is scheduled for January 26 in the Houston Texas area.
Hooray!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:34:24 PM by 2ndmate »

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: TKR - IT STARTED WITH A FROG
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »
Hi There...

Well dosen't this bring back memories from a few years ago! Been a long time since I have heard that Frog story  ;D  I don't know if you remember but we had (or should I say we were scheduled for) TTT (well my 1st TTT) around the same time - April 17 2007 for me!  Sorry to hear all you have been through but at least there is a end in sight now.

Take Care,
Karen

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
I forgot to mention, in 2008 I managed to acquire a MRSA infection in my back (in Guam - again).  I spent several months with a gaping hole - which was supposed to "heal from within".  Please note - your family gets mad if you send them an email picture of your gaping wound (from your ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean), claiming your were stabbed by an irate worker in a dispute about overtime - they don't don't see the humor.

At 2 weeks before surgery, I visit my OS.  He answers all my questions.

CPM - yes, hospital and home
Icing machine - yes (have to check if Insurance will pay)
Hospital stay - surgery on Tuesday, go home Thursday or Friday.
He uses DePuy rotating platform knee.
He will use antibiotic cement
He uses quad-sparing techniques
He uses something better than epidural or femoral block - I'll be pain numb until I leave hospital. (I don't like general anesthesia)
I can be awake, but I can't watch
If he finds any gunk/infection - TKR surgery will be aborted.
His concern is for the same exact bacteria/infection bug as before still lurking, not just general infection stuff.
I will start IV antibiotics as soon as I arrive at hospital.  Will see how long I have to stay on antibiotics
No need for blood donation.
I will begin PT in hospital next day after surgery - Wednesday
Begin PT at their site on Monday after discharge.  3 times a week for 8 weeks

I visited hospital - a private surgery hospital where (as OS says) - "there are no sick people" - less chance of infections.
Hospital - Saw recovery area.  All private rooms.  Nice TV, good internet.  Talked to nurses and staff - all nice.  they told me my OS generally keeps TKR patients catheterized for entire hospital stay.  Nice to know.
I visited PT facility.  Nothing fancy, looked OK.

Now I'm reading stories from this site, and getting the house ready.  

Any suggestions fellow TKR vets?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
I'm not a TKR vet but your knee story is amazing!! Its started with a frog...that well known Hot Chocolate song... ;) ;D

Just to wish you lots and lots of luck and healing wishes for the 26th.  :D

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
Good Luck with your operation on the 26th..  Sounds like you time lined the whole event and seem to be very excited ..  Good for you..   Hope all goes well.  If insurance does not pay for the ice machine..suck it up and get it anyway..  Ice is very nice.

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:32:37 AM »
Hi Plumb
I think I remember you from 2007.

It's Tuesday.  TKR in 1 week!  I'm starting to get into Frantic Cleaning Mode.  Cleaned the garage today.  I figured you can hire someone to clean your house - but not your garage.  I stripped the trampolines, centerboards and rudders off my Hobie sailboat to work on later.

I've been reading up on the DePuy knee.  They make several "models" - including one they list as "high flex".  I'm going to call my OS tomorrow to see if that is what I'm getting - flexibility is SUPER important to me.

Has anyone else had a DePuy knee?

I put a notice on my community bulletin board for a raised toilet seat, and got one for free.

Still waiting to see if insurance will pay for Icing Unit - looks good though.  My OS uses the GameReady - cold AND compression - nice.

Still looking for suggestions on anything else I should be doing.

JBS

Offline MsShel330

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:28 AM »
Hi 2ndmate,

That's great about the free raised toilet seat, I actually hadn't thought of that and using the bathroom was one of the worse things about having my Medial Release, sitting down wearing a calf to thigh immobilizer was horrible! Do you have a shower chair? I had one that I left at my sister's house (where I recuperated from my MR) but I left it there and they've put it to good use since then. For my 2nd knee surgery, a "simple" partial menisectomy, I just used a PVC garden chair.

Good luck with your surgery.
Hereditary knee problems.
Tore meniscus in both knees, March 2005.
Partial menisectomy, medial plication and cartilege clean-up on rt. knee, July 2005.
Partial menisectomy on left knee, April 2007.
Tore meniscus in left knee again, Jan 2010, fixed in June 2010. Tore again in August 2011.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
Hi,  Hope everything went well on Tuesday and you are on the road to recovery!!!  Post when you are feeling up to it.

Take Care,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:44:44 AM »
Hope to hear how things went..   Wish you a fast recovery.  Take care

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »
Reading your posts and thinking of you. You are definitely not in the fun zone--but I know things will get better for you. First 2 weeks--well I only wish I could -wish them away for everyone.
debbieo
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

Offline fire535

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
I remember you hows that TKR,  I got some shlep-rock stories too.