Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end of my knee troubles (hopefully)!!!!  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Good that your ROM is improving and can bend knee 90 degrees with some discomfort but its expected after the type of sugery you have had. I hope you get to see your OS soon and can asked him about the shin pain bruising, no need to rush back to work as I did will only make knee worse again.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I havent posted a lot as been busy trying to arrange sale of house and moving. That has been a nice distraction while recovering.

Well I have made some progress since my last post. After I saw the OS last week, the x-rays were all fine so I am now without the brace and the cruches and can almost fully bend my knee now. Still have some pain in my shin at the op site which I think is the screws as I had problems with them in my 1st TTT and the scar tissue is causing me some problems but I am working on that by massaging it while applying Ibuprofen gel which is helping a bit. .

I am now having a 1-2-1 class with my physio each week starting on 14/04/2010 but I saw the physio yesterday and she is happy with what I am doing up until now, I think it has been easier because I have been here before.

I started back at work today and although I now feel quite tired (I really didnt want to hear my alarm at 5.30am) and my leg aches I felt my 1st day back went well. Its my day off tomorrow and then I work again Thursday and am off again on friday so I have been able to ease myself back in due to easter.

I am now looking into running the London marathon next year as it will give me something to work on to ensure I dont undo the hard work I plan to do to build my muscles back up. The OS and physio think it is something I can definetly do, so here goes.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
Running the London Marathon would be a great accomplishment for sure.  However, I caution you to do too much too soon. (and coming from me of all people....I am not one to take it slow.)

But, I am back in full time training for some races this year and I can tell you that it takes a long time to get the knees back up to the point where they can handle full time pounding.  I would suggest scaling back, maybe looking at doing some 10K's and half marathons next year and then if all goes well, aim for the London Marathon in a few years. 

My sister ran a marathon in 2001 and she has never had an issue with her knees...she found the training and the race to be a lot for her good knees.  She was unable to run for about 8 weeks after her marathon because her knees were causing too much pain.  Again, she has never had a single knee issue.  It can be done, but take it slow.  There is no harm in going slow...I know this the hard way.  Last spring I went crazy with my running plan and within about 8 weeks of returning to running my right knee put up such a protest that I had to take 8 weeks off...did not do me any good.  This time around, I am going slow and my knees are thanking me for it.

I am 7 months post-op from ankle surgery and 2+ years post-op from TTT's.  With as great as my knees are doing, I still have to pace myself and cannot increase my milage too much too soon or I pay for it for days.

Check out this website for some training plans.  Hal Higdon is a very accomplished marathon runner and has training plans for every level. 
www.halhigdon.com

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thanks Brianne for the advice.

The London Marathon is a target for me for next year, I used to do a lot of running, I would do the 800 & 1500 meters as well as cross country and have done half marathons.

It is more an aspiration at the moment, luckly my fitness has stayed pretty good, just need to work on the leg muscles at the moment.

I will have a look at the link you posted to get some ideas of how to begin and am also getting help from a friend who is a physio with my training so will show her as well.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
I'd be lying to say that I have not dreamed a few times of running the Chicago Marathon.  However, I know from my experience, the knees do not handle the pounding of running after a TTT the way that they used to.  I was a runner in High School.

Thats not to say that it cannot be done, but I am finding that the knees need to be approached with added sensitivity after major surgery...go slow and stop when they start to hurt even a little.  When I follow these two guidelines, my knees do just fine.  Last spring, I was foolish and tried to make huge milage jumps all at once. (I am in great shape and so cardio wise the milage jumps were not an issue.  Just listen to your knees and be nice to them.

Good luck no matter what happens!
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thats why I have enlisted my friend to help with training so that I have help all the way through (I am also trying to get her to run as well.). My OS is the doctor for the football team here in Ipswich so I had a discussion with him to see if he thought I could do it, he basically said as lon as I plan properly and know when to stop then he sees no reason why I couldnt do the race, but although I say next year I know this is an optimistic target and will adjust it if need be, I like to be positive.

But any advice is always gratefully received.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
The best advice for long distance running that I have gotten comes from a friend of mine who is a seasoned marathoner.  His knees bothered him so bad at one point that he nearly gave up running.  Then he got in the habit of icing his knees every day after a workout.  It works wonders for making sure that the knees don't start to get inflamed. 

I ice my knees every day after a work out, even if they feel good.  It really has helped to keep everything from getting out of control.
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I started my 1-2-1 classes with the Physio today and boy do I ache now.

I have done some time on the treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine. Bit of weights as well. The hardest thing was this wobble board that the physio made me try to balance on standing on 1 leg. But it made my ankle hurt more than my knee at the time.

Been back at work for 2 weeks now and it hasnt been so bad, they have been quite good letting me get up and move about when I need to and do my exercises.

Wii fit has been a godsend as the Yoga and Balance exercises have really helped.

So far I am really pleased with the progress its been hard work getting to this stage but I finally feel like I may rid myself of my knee problems.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Pleased you are able to do a good workout at the gym, I am limited what machines I can use at the gym until swelling goes down in my right knee. Good you are back at work agan as it can get boring if you on sick leave for too long, so nice to get back in a routine.

Be great if your knee problems are over as you have had problems for long enough and good to read about a successful knee surgery for a change.

Nick :) {2010} :)
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
Been glancing through your post, and I just saw how you are using the Wii Fit for balance exercises.  I had a LR/TTT 9 days ago and I can't wait to get on my Wii and do that!  I start physical therapy on Monday and as soon as my therapist clears me to try it, I plan on doing a long session of Wii Fit every day.  I also have a great balance board that Sharon's (Snorunner's) husband made for me that I'll be using a lot once I get cleared to do so by my therapist :)

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline missfefela

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi am gald you are doing so well keep going :)
Im due to have this done in the next few months after years of knee trouble. So far ive had a LR on each knee and somthing else done to my right but cant think what. Now my os thinks this is the way forward. Im a bit scared but feel a better after reading this.
Any tips you can give me would be fab one thing im stuck on is what type of shoes to get for afterwards. I know this isnt a big thing but due to having short calfs i tend to  where shoes with a heel or wedge.
Anyway Keep working hard you will be running races before you know it
Fe
xxx

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well 14 months on and I am starting to experience some pain again in my left knee. I am so annoyed, in the last few weeks my knee has been clicking worse, my knee cap feels like it is catching to the point that I am having to manipulate it to click which then releases some pressure around the knee cap. It feels like someone has sat a weight on top of my knee and once I manipulate it, it then removes the weight, strange description but the only way I can describe it.

I have made an appointment to see my GP next week to discuss option and to get my supply of pain killers as had got rid of them as had not needed them, for some time.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
Hi Ipswich,

I am also from UK and had my TTT on my right knee on june 13th 2011 after 13 years of patella dislocations in both knees. I have yet to start physio after my operation which I feel is far too long. When I questioned the ortho doctor about this he says i need to let the bone heal but i have to try and do some gentle exercises on my own until i go back to see him on the 1st September.

i have been doing exercises to build up my quads but I still can't do straight leg lifts and struggle to bend my knee. Did you have any of these problems, if so have you got any advice for me.

Sorry to read you are experiencing problems again

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I started Physio a week after both my TTT's altough the 1st 4 weeks were all pretty basic exercises as had brace on my leg restricted to 30 degrees initially building by 30 degrees each fortnight following the surgery up to 90 degrees.

By about 6-8 weeks I was bending my knee ok and lifting it although it was still painful.

Best advice I can give you is do everything yoy are told to do, one thing i do find interesting is the difference in treatment post op.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Ipswich,

Really sorry to read that you are still having ongoing knee problems 14 months post op and have to see an OS again. Does not sound too good clicking and catching and may need to have your knee scoped again, which is the last thing that you want to happen.

I know you been through a few knee surgery's already and bet you getting fed up with them all as you not making much progress and is an ongoing knee problem. Hopefully an MRI scan will pick up whats causing the clicking and catching and can be easily fixed.

Shelly, good luck with your recovery after TTT on your right knee and will take some time to recover from the surgery. I only had my fat pad trimmed and medial plica removed on my right knee and it took 18 months to fully recover.

Nick  :) {2011} :)