Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end of my knee troubles (hopefully)!!!!  (Read 8752 times)

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I think I am coping well because I knew what to expect this time and I made sure that this time I was more prepared with the right pain relief and knowing what bothered me last time. Also havent tried to be too adventerous with moving about this time. 

Im not sure I can say I have 2 fixed knees yet, but hey it is a start, and everyone has to start somewhere.

I have hardly noticed my right knee even though I had the screws removed which is good as was concerned beforehand how that would affect me.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
5 days post op - Been doing the one exercise that the physio gave me which was basically straightening my leg out.

Pain is getting worse now especially my knee and down my shin, finding it difficult to keep the brace on for this reason, to begin with I could lift my leg but thats becoming more difficult.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
5 days post op already time seems to fly by and are now feeling more knee pain which is expected as you been through a failrly major surgery and just have to keep on taking the painkillers. I can imagine the PT you are doing is painful even if it just basic.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Happy Birthday for today ipswich1984, hope you have a fantastic day and weekend.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
9 Days Post Op

Well I have made it past the 1st week, although my knee and shin are still quite painful I know I am coping better than I was last year especially with the pain, but so far am still quite reliant on the painkillers.

Had a bit of a mix up with the Physio on Friday, when I left the hospial they gave me my appointments to see the OS and physio, they said my physio apppointment was on friday at 2pm, however when I went to go on friday I noticed that the appointment card actually said the 11th which was Thursday.
I rang the hospital and they said another appointment had already been sent to me for the 23rd, I am now concerned about my rehab being behind now but nothing I can do to change it, I am trying some of the exercises that I had to do with my TTT last year to hopefully ward off any atrophy of the muscles.

It was my birthday yesterday so I was taken out for dinner but by the end of that my leg was really sore, swollen and I was tired, so I know I probable pushed myself a bit to much.

I decided to have a shower today as was fed up only having washes, boy was that hard workeven just lifting my leg up and over the side of the bath, I do ache after that but I do feel better in myself for it.

Staples come out on wednesday which I will be glad about as they feel uncomfortable now.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline mca123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi ipswich (btw - Ipswich, UK? me too...). Hope you're doing ok.

I am calling my surgeon's secretary tomorrow to schedule in my TTT for my left knee. I have portal scars from 3 previous arthroscopy procedures - what's the scarring like from the TTT? Presume it's open surgery?

Left knee arthroscopy and microfracture April 2008

Lateral release both knees January 2009

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Hi.

Yeah I am in the UK.

My scars from my TTT aren't too bad, they are about 2-3 inches long just below both my knees, the one on my right knee had faded quite well although they have just reopened it to remove the screws, but all in all they don't look too bad.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Day 16

Well I had the staples out on Wednesday and they came out fine and the cut lookslike it has healed really well, so I am pleased.

Knee still really sore though, ROM still not much better around 30 - 40 degrees. I see the OS tomorrow which I am glad about as the area where the TTT was has been really painful and constantly aches with pains up and down my shin bone in addition the swelling has increased over the last few days, Although my last TTT was really painful I didnt experience these pains so need to have my mind put at rest that its all ok.
I am still quite reliant on the painkillers (Tramadol and Naproxen) and hate having to take so many as I am concerned of the damage they do as they are quite strong.

Also have a physio appointment on Tuesday and hope that this will help as I havent seen one yet and the only exercises I have to do is trying to straighten my leg which is ok but not doing much to help my ever decreasing leg muscles.

On the brightside being off work is doing wonders for my diet as I am not able to go and buy choclate bars, crisps and other snacks so easily - Ive lost 6lbs since my surgery on the 5th, so this surgery does have some upsides.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
It must be nice not to have the staples anymore I bet they dont feel comfortable and it is good the incisions are healing up ok. Your ROM will improve slowly and know what to expect as you have had knee surgeries before.

I hope your OS and physio appointment went ok this week, things will slowly improve for you day by day.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Day 18

Well I saw the OS and he had a look at my knee and seemed happy with things, I mentionned the pain in my shins but he doesnt think it is anything to worry about, said it was likely to be things healing.
He has booked me in for 1 months time to see him and to have xrays done to check the healing. He also increased the ROM on my brace to 60 degrees.

Then today I saw the physio and while I appreciate he was doing his job, he was mean!!! Since the surgery I have only had 1 exercise to do since I was discharged, he said I should have tried to do others especially as I had been here before with this surgery on my right knee and should know what is expected. I had tried that but preferred to make sure I was doing the right thing and waited till I saw him.

Then he made me do a lot of exercises that were quite painful  and he then said I wasnt trying and I need to stop protecting my leg and get on with them (easy for him to say). Now I know that these need to be done but I really didnt like being accused of not trying as I know that hard work is needed but last time they gradually increased the exercises whereas this time he has given me 7 to start doing in one go.

I have booked another appointment for 2 weeks time but luckily I am not seeing the same physio next time. They are hoping to increase the ROM to 90 degrees then.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Sorry you had such a lousy physio and pleased you are not seeing him again its good to push through the pain during physio but he making you overdo your PT. Pleased your OS is happy with with how your surgery gone and hope your knee starts to improve week by week.

I hope your next PT appointment goes better then your last one and would be great to gain 90 degrees ROM, Enjoy the weekend.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Nick - I think I was more annoyed that he accused me of not doing enough since my surgery more than anything. I continously did the 1 exercise I was given upon discharge. Like I said in my previous post I had tried some other exercises but stopped as wasnt sure if it was the right thing to do.

Well since I have started these exercises while my ROM feels better but the area where the screws are and my shin are becoming more painful so while the physio said to do the exercises 3-4 times a day I am just doing them twice a day at the moment and icing when I am done.

Anyway I shouldnt really complain as the recovery has been easier than I had from my TTT on my right knee last year and I have been lucky so far with a lot less pain which is why I am not going to over do it just yet.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Glad to hear things are going well. Why are some physios such terrorists? To accuse you of not trying - yeah right, like you're a real cop out aren't you going through your second elective knee surgery?  ::) Comments like that really frustrate me. You know your knee best - stick to what works in terms of doing the exercises but balance that with additional pain and don't do anything that feels wrong - I think you just know if things feel wrong rather than the good hurt that exercise can create. My PT last year tried to manipulate my patella - OK, gentle mobilisation is good and I do that myself but boy she went to town and I am sure that is what started my major 6 week flare and fat pad swelling attack!. You've been through it once already which will help.

Keep up the good work!! Have a good weekend,

Lottie  ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thats what I intend to do, I think it would be too much to go from doing 1 exercises for the 1st 18 days after my surgery to doing 7 excercises 4 times a day.

He has been the worst physio I have seen since my knee troubles began,  the others have been great and so supportive so I dont intend to let this experience spopil things.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well I have been doing the exercises and while the ROM is getting better, I can almost bend to 90 degrees (uncomfortably) while dangling my leg off the side of the bed then straightening it which is one of my exercises.

However the pain in my shin is not getting any better and for some reason I have an awful bruise on the side of my left foot which has appeared in the last few days.

I am persevering with the exercises as much as I can tolerate amd am icing straight after.

Still havent heard from the OS with my next appointment - saw him 2 weeks ago and he said he wanted to see me in 1 month but as yet I still havent had the appointment so I need to ring about that next week.

Still not sure if I can go back to work at the end of the 6 week med cert I have, will wait on the OS!!
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -