Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dragonfly18 Pre/Post op Diary TTO 8/25/11  (Read 1505 times)

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dragonfly18 Pre/Post op Diary TTO 8/25/11
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
Ok I am gonna start this before my surgery.  I am having an issue sleeping wondering what the surgery is gonna be like for me.  I have done tons of research, watched videos, and have talked to the DR.  I know what to expect, but I am still nervous.  I am having a TTO and LR on Thursday...3 days....geez!!!  My DR is the best in Michigan, so that part doesn't worry me, just the whole pain thing afterward.  I am more than ready, I have my shower chair, my CPM is coming on Wednesday, my couch is waiting to be set up, my family has been given their list of chores :)  and mentally I know that it is gonna be a long road to recovery.  So why am I still worried?  HELP!!

Offline blueices

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Dragonfly18 Pre/Post op Diary TTO 8/25/11
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
Being nervous is perfectly normal!  I was certainly nerve-wracked too, especially since it was my first surgery ever.  Having family close by will be very important, especially in the first few weeks.  Great to hear that you have all your ducks in a row before surgery.  It will minimize stress afterwards.  Keep lots of distractions at hand too to keep you entertained while in bed.

Lots of luck!
2011/06 - Right Knee - TTO/Denovo graft with collagen patch/LR
2012/03 - Left Knee - TTO/Denovo graft with collagen patch/LR

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:04:04 PM »
Its normal to feel nervous about this operation and is good that you have been doing your research, but try and not watch too many videos lol, you will just make yourself worse.

I had my TTT in June this year and one thing I can advise is to stay on top of your painkillers. I missed one dose of mine during the night and I paid for it the next morning, I was in agony.

Have everything you need at hand for when you get out, i.e. laptop, magazines, remote control etc. The first couple of weeks will be the worst (getting used to the brace you will have on, the crutches and getting to the toilet) but believe me it does get easier.

It is only 2 months since my operation and I can already see and feel a difference.

Good Luck with everything and remember to let us know how you get on.

P.S It is normal to feel worried,

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies!  I am so grateful!  This is by no means my first surgery, but I am still freaked out.  Never had to get a full physical for previous surgeries  ???  Anywho, I guess my biggest worry is asking for help, I just don't like to do it.  I am very independent. My hubby hates that, but guess what?  He is gonna have to help me a lot  :P 

WOW only 2 days!!!  Yikes

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
Post op day one.......Oh man this sucks!  I got home after my surgery, got on the couch, good to go.  The hubby carried me up the stairs to the bed!  Took my meds every four hours, woke up puking everywhere, ate before I went to bed, guess all the food was gone.  Vicodin kicked my ass!  Finally got something to stay in my stomach.  Took the immobilizer brace off to get some ice on my knee, that is when the s**t hit the fan, all of my dressings were soaked with bright red blood.  I freaked a little.  Took the blood soaked dressings off, appears to have been bleeding form the incision site, not the arthroscopic ports.  So now I have clean dressings on, a call into the Drs office, and I am going to attempt to take more pain meds.

Offline blueices

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
Sorry your first day has been rough.  Sadly the first week is going to be the worst but it will quickly get better from there.  Keep your leg straight and elevated and be sure to ice as much as possible to keep the swelling from getting out of control.

If you find your feet are getting swollen, do ankle pumps while lying in bed to keep the circulation flowing too.

Things will get better!  ;)
2011/06 - Right Knee - TTO/Denovo graft with collagen patch/LR
2012/03 - Left Knee - TTO/Denovo graft with collagen patch/LR

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
Talked to the doc a little while ago, said that the bleeding was normal, apparently the Tibia has a bunch of vessels around it.  Plus the Saline solution they used for my arthroscopy was draining out there too.  Ok crisis averted!  Have I mentioned that I love Saltines crackers?  They seem to be the only thing stayin down.

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Ok so here we are...day two...woke up feeling pretty good, no nausea this morning.  Cut down on the pain meds last night and it is working pretty well.  Ate some chocolate pudding last night, stayed down!  Yippee!!!  Started with the CPM machine this morning, Love it!  Feels good to move my knee.  gonna try more food today, see what happens. Wish me luck!

Offline dragonfly18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
Day three is going great so far, I am weight bearing so at least I am mobile.  I can make coffee so that is my saving grace.  Notin too much pain so I will only take it when I absolutely need it.  Like after two hours of the CPM.  Thanks for letting me get this down for others to see!