Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sean's ACL recon and menisectomy  (Read 1273 times)

Offline scdono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sean's ACL recon and menisectomy
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:52 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the site and major knee surgery.  I originally had a scope in December 1999.  The last several years I've been having pain in the general area of my medial meniscus and mcl.  I am an avid runner and enjoy all sports.  On June 14, 2011, I was playing in a church softball game, and hit a ball to right center.  As I was running towards second, I looked into the outfield to see where the ball was located.  When I looked back at second base, I realized I was outside the base path and attempt to quickly recorrect my direction.  Unfortunately, I heard a pop and knew i had done tremendous damage to my knee.  Large horn tear in medial and torn mcl and acl.  On july 21, 2011, I went in for corrective surgery.

I now am 18 days post surgery.  I'm struggling to have complete extension and am worried.  I'm currently 95 degrees flexion.  When should I be worried about not being able to "lock" my knee.  I still have a bit of swelling.
Thanks,
Sean
Knee scope December 1999

Acl reconstruction, patella resection and
Menisectomy, 60% removal of medial meniscus
July 21, 2011

Offline Arity

• Regular Poster
Re: Sean's ACL recon and menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »
Hi Sean!

Does your OS or PT have a protocol they are working from?  My OS has specific milestones he wants me to reach within a timeline.  That being said there are so many different protocols.  Have they expressed concern that you are not there yet?  From what I have read on this board there are many different protocols/rehabs and every recovery is different and moves at its own pace but as long as you keep working at it you will eventually get there.

That being said I am no expert.  I am only 11 days post op myself. 

Offline scdono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
No protocols.  Only start pt as soon as possible and make sure to get back extension.  The rehab is obviously more than I was thinking.  I'm currently doing pt 3 times a week and try to do my stretches every morning and night.  Sleeping is very difficult as knee throbs and is painful.  I did officially reach the milestone of two days without the use of crutches.  Yay!
Knee scope December 1999

July 21, 2011

Offline scdono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:07:53 AM »
Hello all,

Been a while since I posted.  I'm still doing pt three times a week.  My extension seems to be improving.  I'm currently 4 weeks 3 days post surgery.  My flexion is still behind as I'm probably maxing out at 105 degrees.  Sleeping at night is still problematic, as throbbing prevents any tangible sleep.  Good news is I'm off pain meds. completely with exception of extra strength Tylenol.
Cheers!
Knee scope December 1999

July 21, 2011