Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end of my knee troubles (hopefully)!!!!  (Read 8756 times)

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Although I am not post op yet, I thought I would start my diary now leading up to my surgery on Feb 5th which is my 2nd TTT.

My knee problems started late 2003 when I twisted my right knee walking the dog, I used to do lots of sport so I thought it was just a sprain and didnt worry too much about it, but then in the months after the pain and swelling didnt subside so I saw the GP who started me with Physio. This still didnt improve things and by this stage my knee was locking and also giving out sometimes.

I was referred to the OS who ordered an MRI which showed some damage to the cartilage, I had a Arthroscopy in November 2005 to correct this, things were ok for a bit after that but then the same things started to happen as well as my kneecap also coming out of place so I went back to the OS who didn more xrays etc which showed that my kneecap was higher than it should be. I had a LR which again helped for a time so back to Physio again and then back to the OS, I also saw another doctor who advised me that I had Hypermobile Joints which would be contributing to my problems.
I then had a TTT on my right knee which has been successful but my left knee has now deteriorated to the point that I am at the same stage that I was at with my right knee prior to the TTT.

I know from my previous surgery what I am in for as after my last TTT I was in quite a lot of pain as I came home the same day as my Surgery which I regretted as soon as the morphine wore off.

I saw my OS yesterday as I wanted to discuss some other pain I was having in my left knee after I twisted it a few weeks back, I now have this pain and catching which comes from inside my knee on the left side towards the back of my knee. He now plans to do an Arthroscopy in  addition to the TTT and possible LR. He has also agreed to take the screws out of my RK as I find them uncomfortable.

I have my pre op appointment where I have to have some more xrays in preparation for my surgery.

I thought I would do a diary this time as I didnt do one for my previous TTT but I realised after how valuable these are so I wanted to share my experiences this time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:31:47 PM by ipswich1984 »
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Re: TTT - My saga - Take 2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
Well I had my pre admission appointment today. After discussing the problems I had with pain after my 1st TTT, I won't be able to go home the same day like I did last time (I had to call out doctors for painkilling injections for 2 days and had nurses come to give me blood thinning injections because I couldn't move my leg due to the pain) and they are also going to send me home with Tramadol rather than paracetemol and codeine as this worked for the pain in the first few weeks after my last surgery.

They did fresh xrays as well to check whether my screws can come out of my right knee, though they couldn't foresee any problems as it had been healing well already.

So as long as the MRSA swabs and tests on the other samples come back clear then I am all set for 5th February!!

Hopefully the end is now in sight, fingers crossed!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:19:51 PM by ipswich1984 »
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end (hopefully)!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
Hi ipswich1984,

Not too long now till your surgery and bet you are kind of looking forward to it but I hope this time surgery is a success for you as you been through a fair few knee surgeries already. It is good that you will be staying at the hospital after surgery as you going through a big surgery and be good to be cared for afterwards.

Nick :) {2010} :)   
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Re: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end (hopefully)!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
Although I have had a few knee surgeries, this will be the 1st on my left knee. I am in some senses looking forward to to it but its more a looking forward to hopefully getting my knee sorted, but not really looking forward to the op itself.

I havent had a good few days anyway, knee has become really swollen and cant really bend it, not sure why at the moment just woke up in the middle of the night between friday and saturday. I will be really glad to get this sorted.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Finally finished work today, thought I would give myself a few days to get organised at home before my surgery on Friday.

I have really struggled the past few days as I had to stop the Naproxen tablets I was taking because the hospital say it can stop you clotting. Now I realise what a difference the painkillers make but I certainly won't miss taking them after all this as well as the cost of all these repeat prescriptions.

I cant wait to get this over with and hopefully move on.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Good luck tomorrow with your surgery and hope this surgery helps sort out your knee problems. Its no fun if your knee is giving you problems so best to get it sorted sooner rather then lator.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thanks Nick, I will be very glad to get it sorted hopefully although I dont want to get to ahead of myself as I know I have a lot to do after my operation.

I will look out for your sister if she is there.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

ncarson

Hi there,

You sound as though you have the same problems I had, I am also hypermobile, had loads of problems and various surgeries and then a TTT on my left knee which was a success, a few years later all the same problems started on the right knee so went through the same process again with the right knee, the TTT on the right knee was also a success which is great as hypermobility can cause some other problems that most people dont encounter, although my problems are not with stability any more as the TTTs have corrected that, I now have MAJOR osteoarthritis problems due to the many many years that I went untreated and was constantly dislocating and damaging the cartilage.  Hopefully you won't have to face that and I'm sure your second TTT will be a success.  Good luck.

Natalie.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Damage in the future is one of the reasons that I am having my TTT now, although I have problems in my left they have got nowhere near as bad as my right knee had but I didn't want to get to that stage again being in continual pain.

I'm glad your surgeries were a success it gives us all hope!!
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline SarahB428

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I am in the same boat as both of you, but as ncarson I've been going through this for years.  I am relatively new to this site and happy to see there are people out there that I can discuss my problems with who understand.  That being said, I've been a continual dislocator for the past 18 years.  I had a LR when I had my ACL recon in 1999.  It seemed to help, but definitely was not a cure.  I decided that I'd had enough and went looking for another doctor who may be able to help me with something a little more permanent than the LR.  I chose to have the MPFL replacement, an LR and a debridement of the chondromalcia patellar and this occurred 7 weeks ago.  However, on this site, I've seen alot of people with similar issues having the TTT surgery.  This was something that I'd never heard of until now.  I'm just wondering if you know why one is chosen over the other?  Was the MPFL an option for you and you took the TTT?  I'm tentatively planning to have the MPFL done on my L knee at the end of this year, after I've recovered enough from this one so I'm just curious as to other's reasonings behind their decisions.  Ipswich1984, good luck.  It seems that your procedure is today.  Keep us posted on how you make out.
*5/92 First patellar dislocation
*'92-08 - Approx 80-100 dislocations in both knees
*2/99 - L ACL reconstruction & lateral release
*12/18/09 - R MPFL reconstruction/LR/ debridement
*12/10 - Tentative schedule for L MPFL recon

*Trochlear dysplasia
*Chondromalacia patellar
*Osgood Schlatter

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well the surgery is all done, seems to have gone well and I didnt have to stay in after all.

I got to the hospital at 7am & found that there were no beds for a few of us yet, was quite worried at this stage that I would be having the op cancelled.

Eventually at around 9, a bed became available so I had about 10 minutes to get changed as I was going down to surgery 1st as the man who was due to go down before me didnt have a bed so they moved us around.

Came round from the anaesthtic around 11.30am and then had a shot of morphone as the pain was quite uncomfortable.

Was taken back to the ward and then had a bit of a sleep and some more pain relief. The OS was really happy with the tracking of my patella now and was also able to remove the screws from my RK from last years TTT.  The OS decided that I could come home today as long as the pain remained under control (they prescribed me tramadol along with paracetamol and I can still take the Naproxen as well).

Physio attempted to get me out of bed and as soon as I stood up I felt really sick and then as soon as I sat down I was sick. Physio said we will leave it for half an hour and then try again. We tried again and this time managed a few steps before feeling unwell again so we stopped for the 2nd time, wasnt sick this time though. They gave me an injection to stop the sickness which did the trick as I managed to get around the ward properly without feeling unwell. I have a brace and am pretty much NWB at the moment.

I am not home and feeling ok at the moment, just tired mainly. I have kept on top of the pain so far and it is definetly more comfortable than last year. See the physio on 12/02/10 and the OS on 22/02/10 also booked the appointment for the nurse to remove the clips from both my knees on the 17th.

Overall so far so good, fingers crossed it remains this way.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:30:06 PM by ipswich1984 »
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

ncarson

So glad your surgery has gone well.  Take it easy and hopefully you will be up and about in no time.

Sarah, I didnt have the option to MPFL as I have trochlerar dysplasia and hypermobility andthe OS said that because my "grooves" were flat instead of "c" shaped, the MPFL wouldnt be a success for me.

Ipswich, hope all goes well for you.

Natalie.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Pleased it went well for you and did not have to spend a night in the hospital and hope this time the surgery is successful and recover fully and get back doing the things you use to enjoy doing before your knee problems started. It was good that you did not have to hang around for too long and was the 1st one into theatre as there nothing worse hanging then around waiting to go in.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well its been 48 hours now since my surgery, although the pain is nowhere near as bad as last year it is still quite sore but I am well prepared for it this time.

Knee still looks like a melon and is turning into a rainbow now. Ice packs are helping. Not much ROM yet but it is early days so I am not to concerned.

One thing I am finding difficult is not putting weight onto my left leg as it is so used to compnsating for my right leg since my knee troubles start so I have to think about it whenever I get up.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Hi there

Really glad its all done and it sounds like you are coping well. Two fixed knees - woohoo!  ;D  Good job we only have two legs really, not like a cat or dog with four to go wrong! Keep icing, rest up and keep us posted how things go.

Hope the recovery carries on smoothly.

All the best

Lottie  :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I think I am coping well because I knew what to expect this time and I made sure that this time I was more prepared with the right pain relief and knowing what bothered me last time. Also havent tried to be too adventerous with moving about this time. 

Im not sure I can say I have 2 fixed knees yet, but hey it is a start, and everyone has to start somewhere.

I have hardly noticed my right knee even though I had the screws removed which is good as was concerned beforehand how that would affect me.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
5 days post op - Been doing the one exercise that the physio gave me which was basically straightening my leg out.

Pain is getting worse now especially my knee and down my shin, finding it difficult to keep the brace on for this reason, to begin with I could lift my leg but thats becoming more difficult.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
5 days post op already time seems to fly by and are now feeling more knee pain which is expected as you been through a failrly major surgery and just have to keep on taking the painkillers. I can imagine the PT you are doing is painful even if it just basic.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Happy Birthday for today ipswich1984, hope you have a fantastic day and weekend.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
9 Days Post Op

Well I have made it past the 1st week, although my knee and shin are still quite painful I know I am coping better than I was last year especially with the pain, but so far am still quite reliant on the painkillers.

Had a bit of a mix up with the Physio on Friday, when I left the hospial they gave me my appointments to see the OS and physio, they said my physio apppointment was on friday at 2pm, however when I went to go on friday I noticed that the appointment card actually said the 11th which was Thursday.
I rang the hospital and they said another appointment had already been sent to me for the 23rd, I am now concerned about my rehab being behind now but nothing I can do to change it, I am trying some of the exercises that I had to do with my TTT last year to hopefully ward off any atrophy of the muscles.

It was my birthday yesterday so I was taken out for dinner but by the end of that my leg was really sore, swollen and I was tired, so I know I probable pushed myself a bit to much.

I decided to have a shower today as was fed up only having washes, boy was that hard workeven just lifting my leg up and over the side of the bath, I do ache after that but I do feel better in myself for it.

Staples come out on wednesday which I will be glad about as they feel uncomfortable now.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline mca123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi ipswich (btw - Ipswich, UK? me too...). Hope you're doing ok.

I am calling my surgeon's secretary tomorrow to schedule in my TTT for my left knee. I have portal scars from 3 previous arthroscopy procedures - what's the scarring like from the TTT? Presume it's open surgery?

Left knee arthroscopy and microfracture April 2008

Lateral release both knees January 2009

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Hi.

Yeah I am in the UK.

My scars from my TTT aren't too bad, they are about 2-3 inches long just below both my knees, the one on my right knee had faded quite well although they have just reopened it to remove the screws, but all in all they don't look too bad.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Day 16

Well I had the staples out on Wednesday and they came out fine and the cut lookslike it has healed really well, so I am pleased.

Knee still really sore though, ROM still not much better around 30 - 40 degrees. I see the OS tomorrow which I am glad about as the area where the TTT was has been really painful and constantly aches with pains up and down my shin bone in addition the swelling has increased over the last few days, Although my last TTT was really painful I didnt experience these pains so need to have my mind put at rest that its all ok.
I am still quite reliant on the painkillers (Tramadol and Naproxen) and hate having to take so many as I am concerned of the damage they do as they are quite strong.

Also have a physio appointment on Tuesday and hope that this will help as I havent seen one yet and the only exercises I have to do is trying to straighten my leg which is ok but not doing much to help my ever decreasing leg muscles.

On the brightside being off work is doing wonders for my diet as I am not able to go and buy choclate bars, crisps and other snacks so easily - Ive lost 6lbs since my surgery on the 5th, so this surgery does have some upsides.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
It must be nice not to have the staples anymore I bet they dont feel comfortable and it is good the incisions are healing up ok. Your ROM will improve slowly and know what to expect as you have had knee surgeries before.

I hope your OS and physio appointment went ok this week, things will slowly improve for you day by day.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Day 18

Well I saw the OS and he had a look at my knee and seemed happy with things, I mentionned the pain in my shins but he doesnt think it is anything to worry about, said it was likely to be things healing.
He has booked me in for 1 months time to see him and to have xrays done to check the healing. He also increased the ROM on my brace to 60 degrees.

Then today I saw the physio and while I appreciate he was doing his job, he was mean!!! Since the surgery I have only had 1 exercise to do since I was discharged, he said I should have tried to do others especially as I had been here before with this surgery on my right knee and should know what is expected. I had tried that but preferred to make sure I was doing the right thing and waited till I saw him.

Then he made me do a lot of exercises that were quite painful  and he then said I wasnt trying and I need to stop protecting my leg and get on with them (easy for him to say). Now I know that these need to be done but I really didnt like being accused of not trying as I know that hard work is needed but last time they gradually increased the exercises whereas this time he has given me 7 to start doing in one go.

I have booked another appointment for 2 weeks time but luckily I am not seeing the same physio next time. They are hoping to increase the ROM to 90 degrees then.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Sorry you had such a lousy physio and pleased you are not seeing him again its good to push through the pain during physio but he making you overdo your PT. Pleased your OS is happy with with how your surgery gone and hope your knee starts to improve week by week.

I hope your next PT appointment goes better then your last one and would be great to gain 90 degrees ROM, Enjoy the weekend.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Nick - I think I was more annoyed that he accused me of not doing enough since my surgery more than anything. I continously did the 1 exercise I was given upon discharge. Like I said in my previous post I had tried some other exercises but stopped as wasnt sure if it was the right thing to do.

Well since I have started these exercises while my ROM feels better but the area where the screws are and my shin are becoming more painful so while the physio said to do the exercises 3-4 times a day I am just doing them twice a day at the moment and icing when I am done.

Anyway I shouldnt really complain as the recovery has been easier than I had from my TTT on my right knee last year and I have been lucky so far with a lot less pain which is why I am not going to over do it just yet.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Glad to hear things are going well. Why are some physios such terrorists? To accuse you of not trying - yeah right, like you're a real cop out aren't you going through your second elective knee surgery?  ::) Comments like that really frustrate me. You know your knee best - stick to what works in terms of doing the exercises but balance that with additional pain and don't do anything that feels wrong - I think you just know if things feel wrong rather than the good hurt that exercise can create. My PT last year tried to manipulate my patella - OK, gentle mobilisation is good and I do that myself but boy she went to town and I am sure that is what started my major 6 week flare and fat pad swelling attack!. You've been through it once already which will help.

Keep up the good work!! Have a good weekend,

Lottie  ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thats what I intend to do, I think it would be too much to go from doing 1 exercises for the 1st 18 days after my surgery to doing 7 excercises 4 times a day.

He has been the worst physio I have seen since my knee troubles began,  the others have been great and so supportive so I dont intend to let this experience spopil things.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well I have been doing the exercises and while the ROM is getting better, I can almost bend to 90 degrees (uncomfortably) while dangling my leg off the side of the bed then straightening it which is one of my exercises.

However the pain in my shin is not getting any better and for some reason I have an awful bruise on the side of my left foot which has appeared in the last few days.

I am persevering with the exercises as much as I can tolerate amd am icing straight after.

Still havent heard from the OS with my next appointment - saw him 2 weeks ago and he said he wanted to see me in 1 month but as yet I still havent had the appointment so I need to ring about that next week.

Still not sure if I can go back to work at the end of the 6 week med cert I have, will wait on the OS!!
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Good that your ROM is improving and can bend knee 90 degrees with some discomfort but its expected after the type of sugery you have had. I hope you get to see your OS soon and can asked him about the shin pain bruising, no need to rush back to work as I did will only make knee worse again.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I havent posted a lot as been busy trying to arrange sale of house and moving. That has been a nice distraction while recovering.

Well I have made some progress since my last post. After I saw the OS last week, the x-rays were all fine so I am now without the brace and the cruches and can almost fully bend my knee now. Still have some pain in my shin at the op site which I think is the screws as I had problems with them in my 1st TTT and the scar tissue is causing me some problems but I am working on that by massaging it while applying Ibuprofen gel which is helping a bit. .

I am now having a 1-2-1 class with my physio each week starting on 14/04/2010 but I saw the physio yesterday and she is happy with what I am doing up until now, I think it has been easier because I have been here before.

I started back at work today and although I now feel quite tired (I really didnt want to hear my alarm at 5.30am) and my leg aches I felt my 1st day back went well. Its my day off tomorrow and then I work again Thursday and am off again on friday so I have been able to ease myself back in due to easter.

I am now looking into running the London marathon next year as it will give me something to work on to ensure I dont undo the hard work I plan to do to build my muscles back up. The OS and physio think it is something I can definetly do, so here goes.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
Running the London Marathon would be a great accomplishment for sure.  However, I caution you to do too much too soon. (and coming from me of all people....I am not one to take it slow.)

But, I am back in full time training for some races this year and I can tell you that it takes a long time to get the knees back up to the point where they can handle full time pounding.  I would suggest scaling back, maybe looking at doing some 10K's and half marathons next year and then if all goes well, aim for the London Marathon in a few years. 

My sister ran a marathon in 2001 and she has never had an issue with her knees...she found the training and the race to be a lot for her good knees.  She was unable to run for about 8 weeks after her marathon because her knees were causing too much pain.  Again, she has never had a single knee issue.  It can be done, but take it slow.  There is no harm in going slow...I know this the hard way.  Last spring I went crazy with my running plan and within about 8 weeks of returning to running my right knee put up such a protest that I had to take 8 weeks off...did not do me any good.  This time around, I am going slow and my knees are thanking me for it.

I am 7 months post-op from ankle surgery and 2+ years post-op from TTT's.  With as great as my knees are doing, I still have to pace myself and cannot increase my milage too much too soon or I pay for it for days.

Check out this website for some training plans.  Hal Higdon is a very accomplished marathon runner and has training plans for every level. 
www.halhigdon.com

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thanks Brianne for the advice.

The London Marathon is a target for me for next year, I used to do a lot of running, I would do the 800 & 1500 meters as well as cross country and have done half marathons.

It is more an aspiration at the moment, luckly my fitness has stayed pretty good, just need to work on the leg muscles at the moment.

I will have a look at the link you posted to get some ideas of how to begin and am also getting help from a friend who is a physio with my training so will show her as well.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
I'd be lying to say that I have not dreamed a few times of running the Chicago Marathon.  However, I know from my experience, the knees do not handle the pounding of running after a TTT the way that they used to.  I was a runner in High School.

Thats not to say that it cannot be done, but I am finding that the knees need to be approached with added sensitivity after major surgery...go slow and stop when they start to hurt even a little.  When I follow these two guidelines, my knees do just fine.  Last spring, I was foolish and tried to make huge milage jumps all at once. (I am in great shape and so cardio wise the milage jumps were not an issue.  Just listen to your knees and be nice to them.

Good luck no matter what happens!
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thats why I have enlisted my friend to help with training so that I have help all the way through (I am also trying to get her to run as well.). My OS is the doctor for the football team here in Ipswich so I had a discussion with him to see if he thought I could do it, he basically said as lon as I plan properly and know when to stop then he sees no reason why I couldnt do the race, but although I say next year I know this is an optimistic target and will adjust it if need be, I like to be positive.

But any advice is always gratefully received.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
The best advice for long distance running that I have gotten comes from a friend of mine who is a seasoned marathoner.  His knees bothered him so bad at one point that he nearly gave up running.  Then he got in the habit of icing his knees every day after a workout.  It works wonders for making sure that the knees don't start to get inflamed. 

I ice my knees every day after a work out, even if they feel good.  It really has helped to keep everything from getting out of control.
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I started my 1-2-1 classes with the Physio today and boy do I ache now.

I have done some time on the treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine. Bit of weights as well. The hardest thing was this wobble board that the physio made me try to balance on standing on 1 leg. But it made my ankle hurt more than my knee at the time.

Been back at work for 2 weeks now and it hasnt been so bad, they have been quite good letting me get up and move about when I need to and do my exercises.

Wii fit has been a godsend as the Yoga and Balance exercises have really helped.

So far I am really pleased with the progress its been hard work getting to this stage but I finally feel like I may rid myself of my knee problems.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Pleased you are able to do a good workout at the gym, I am limited what machines I can use at the gym until swelling goes down in my right knee. Good you are back at work agan as it can get boring if you on sick leave for too long, so nice to get back in a routine.

Be great if your knee problems are over as you have had problems for long enough and good to read about a successful knee surgery for a change.

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
Been glancing through your post, and I just saw how you are using the Wii Fit for balance exercises.  I had a LR/TTT 9 days ago and I can't wait to get on my Wii and do that!  I start physical therapy on Monday and as soon as my therapist clears me to try it, I plan on doing a long session of Wii Fit every day.  I also have a great balance board that Sharon's (Snorunner's) husband made for me that I'll be using a lot once I get cleared to do so by my therapist :)

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline missfefela

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi am gald you are doing so well keep going :)
Im due to have this done in the next few months after years of knee trouble. So far ive had a LR on each knee and somthing else done to my right but cant think what. Now my os thinks this is the way forward. Im a bit scared but feel a better after reading this.
Any tips you can give me would be fab one thing im stuck on is what type of shoes to get for afterwards. I know this isnt a big thing but due to having short calfs i tend to  where shoes with a heel or wedge.
Anyway Keep working hard you will be running races before you know it
Fe
xxx

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well 14 months on and I am starting to experience some pain again in my left knee. I am so annoyed, in the last few weeks my knee has been clicking worse, my knee cap feels like it is catching to the point that I am having to manipulate it to click which then releases some pressure around the knee cap. It feels like someone has sat a weight on top of my knee and once I manipulate it, it then removes the weight, strange description but the only way I can describe it.

I have made an appointment to see my GP next week to discuss option and to get my supply of pain killers as had got rid of them as had not needed them, for some time.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
Hi Ipswich,

I am also from UK and had my TTT on my right knee on june 13th 2011 after 13 years of patella dislocations in both knees. I have yet to start physio after my operation which I feel is far too long. When I questioned the ortho doctor about this he says i need to let the bone heal but i have to try and do some gentle exercises on my own until i go back to see him on the 1st September.

i have been doing exercises to build up my quads but I still can't do straight leg lifts and struggle to bend my knee. Did you have any of these problems, if so have you got any advice for me.

Sorry to read you are experiencing problems again

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
I started Physio a week after both my TTT's altough the 1st 4 weeks were all pretty basic exercises as had brace on my leg restricted to 30 degrees initially building by 30 degrees each fortnight following the surgery up to 90 degrees.

By about 6-8 weeks I was bending my knee ok and lifting it although it was still painful.

Best advice I can give you is do everything yoy are told to do, one thing i do find interesting is the difference in treatment post op.

December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Ipswich,

Really sorry to read that you are still having ongoing knee problems 14 months post op and have to see an OS again. Does not sound too good clicking and catching and may need to have your knee scoped again, which is the last thing that you want to happen.

I know you been through a few knee surgery's already and bet you getting fed up with them all as you not making much progress and is an ongoing knee problem. Hopefully an MRI scan will pick up whats causing the clicking and catching and can be easily fixed.

Shelly, good luck with your recovery after TTT on your right knee and will take some time to recover from the surgery. I only had my fat pad trimmed and medial plica removed on my right knee and it took 18 months to fully recover.

Nick  :) {2011} :)