Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end of my knee troubles (hopefully)!!!!  (Read 8520 times)

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Although I am not post op yet, I thought I would start my diary now leading up to my surgery on Feb 5th which is my 2nd TTT.

My knee problems started late 2003 when I twisted my right knee walking the dog, I used to do lots of sport so I thought it was just a sprain and didnt worry too much about it, but then in the months after the pain and swelling didnt subside so I saw the GP who started me with Physio. This still didnt improve things and by this stage my knee was locking and also giving out sometimes.

I was referred to the OS who ordered an MRI which showed some damage to the cartilage, I had a Arthroscopy in November 2005 to correct this, things were ok for a bit after that but then the same things started to happen as well as my kneecap also coming out of place so I went back to the OS who didn more xrays etc which showed that my kneecap was higher than it should be. I had a LR which again helped for a time so back to Physio again and then back to the OS, I also saw another doctor who advised me that I had Hypermobile Joints which would be contributing to my problems.
I then had a TTT on my right knee which has been successful but my left knee has now deteriorated to the point that I am at the same stage that I was at with my right knee prior to the TTT.

I know from my previous surgery what I am in for as after my last TTT I was in quite a lot of pain as I came home the same day as my Surgery which I regretted as soon as the morphine wore off.

I saw my OS yesterday as I wanted to discuss some other pain I was having in my left knee after I twisted it a few weeks back, I now have this pain and catching which comes from inside my knee on the left side towards the back of my knee. He now plans to do an Arthroscopy in  addition to the TTT and possible LR. He has also agreed to take the screws out of my RK as I find them uncomfortable.

I have my pre op appointment where I have to have some more xrays in preparation for my surgery.

I thought I would do a diary this time as I didnt do one for my previous TTT but I realised after how valuable these are so I wanted to share my experiences this time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:31:47 PM by ipswich1984 »
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Re: TTT - My saga - Take 2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
Well I had my pre admission appointment today. After discussing the problems I had with pain after my 1st TTT, I won't be able to go home the same day like I did last time (I had to call out doctors for painkilling injections for 2 days and had nurses come to give me blood thinning injections because I couldn't move my leg due to the pain) and they are also going to send me home with Tramadol rather than paracetemol and codeine as this worked for the pain in the first few weeks after my last surgery.

They did fresh xrays as well to check whether my screws can come out of my right knee, though they couldn't foresee any problems as it had been healing well already.

So as long as the MRSA swabs and tests on the other samples come back clear then I am all set for 5th February!!

Hopefully the end is now in sight, fingers crossed!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:19:51 PM by ipswich1984 »
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end (hopefully)!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »
Hi ipswich1984,

Not too long now till your surgery and bet you are kind of looking forward to it but I hope this time surgery is a success for you as you been through a fair few knee surgeries already. It is good that you will be staying at the hospital after surgery as you going through a big surgery and be good to be cared for afterwards.

Nick :) {2010} :)   
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Re: TTT - Take 2 - The beginning of the end (hopefully)!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
Although I have had a few knee surgeries, this will be the 1st on my left knee. I am in some senses looking forward to to it but its more a looking forward to hopefully getting my knee sorted, but not really looking forward to the op itself.

I havent had a good few days anyway, knee has become really swollen and cant really bend it, not sure why at the moment just woke up in the middle of the night between friday and saturday. I will be really glad to get this sorted.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Finally finished work today, thought I would give myself a few days to get organised at home before my surgery on Friday.

I have really struggled the past few days as I had to stop the Naproxen tablets I was taking because the hospital say it can stop you clotting. Now I realise what a difference the painkillers make but I certainly won't miss taking them after all this as well as the cost of all these repeat prescriptions.

I cant wait to get this over with and hopefully move on.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Good luck tomorrow with your surgery and hope this surgery helps sort out your knee problems. Its no fun if your knee is giving you problems so best to get it sorted sooner rather then lator.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Thanks Nick, I will be very glad to get it sorted hopefully although I dont want to get to ahead of myself as I know I have a lot to do after my operation.

I will look out for your sister if she is there.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

ncarson

Hi there,

You sound as though you have the same problems I had, I am also hypermobile, had loads of problems and various surgeries and then a TTT on my left knee which was a success, a few years later all the same problems started on the right knee so went through the same process again with the right knee, the TTT on the right knee was also a success which is great as hypermobility can cause some other problems that most people dont encounter, although my problems are not with stability any more as the TTTs have corrected that, I now have MAJOR osteoarthritis problems due to the many many years that I went untreated and was constantly dislocating and damaging the cartilage.  Hopefully you won't have to face that and I'm sure your second TTT will be a success.  Good luck.

Natalie.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Damage in the future is one of the reasons that I am having my TTT now, although I have problems in my left they have got nowhere near as bad as my right knee had but I didn't want to get to that stage again being in continual pain.

I'm glad your surgeries were a success it gives us all hope!!
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline SarahB428

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I am in the same boat as both of you, but as ncarson I've been going through this for years.  I am relatively new to this site and happy to see there are people out there that I can discuss my problems with who understand.  That being said, I've been a continual dislocator for the past 18 years.  I had a LR when I had my ACL recon in 1999.  It seemed to help, but definitely was not a cure.  I decided that I'd had enough and went looking for another doctor who may be able to help me with something a little more permanent than the LR.  I chose to have the MPFL replacement, an LR and a debridement of the chondromalcia patellar and this occurred 7 weeks ago.  However, on this site, I've seen alot of people with similar issues having the TTT surgery.  This was something that I'd never heard of until now.  I'm just wondering if you know why one is chosen over the other?  Was the MPFL an option for you and you took the TTT?  I'm tentatively planning to have the MPFL done on my L knee at the end of this year, after I've recovered enough from this one so I'm just curious as to other's reasonings behind their decisions.  Ipswich1984, good luck.  It seems that your procedure is today.  Keep us posted on how you make out.
*5/92 First patellar dislocation
*'92-08 - Approx 80-100 dislocations in both knees
*2/99 - L ACL reconstruction & lateral release
*12/18/09 - R MPFL reconstruction/LR/ debridement
*12/10 - Tentative schedule for L MPFL recon

*Trochlear dysplasia
*Chondromalacia patellar
*Osgood Schlatter

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well the surgery is all done, seems to have gone well and I didnt have to stay in after all.

I got to the hospital at 7am & found that there were no beds for a few of us yet, was quite worried at this stage that I would be having the op cancelled.

Eventually at around 9, a bed became available so I had about 10 minutes to get changed as I was going down to surgery 1st as the man who was due to go down before me didnt have a bed so they moved us around.

Came round from the anaesthtic around 11.30am and then had a shot of morphone as the pain was quite uncomfortable.

Was taken back to the ward and then had a bit of a sleep and some more pain relief. The OS was really happy with the tracking of my patella now and was also able to remove the screws from my RK from last years TTT.  The OS decided that I could come home today as long as the pain remained under control (they prescribed me tramadol along with paracetamol and I can still take the Naproxen as well).

Physio attempted to get me out of bed and as soon as I stood up I felt really sick and then as soon as I sat down I was sick. Physio said we will leave it for half an hour and then try again. We tried again and this time managed a few steps before feeling unwell again so we stopped for the 2nd time, wasnt sick this time though. They gave me an injection to stop the sickness which did the trick as I managed to get around the ward properly without feeling unwell. I have a brace and am pretty much NWB at the moment.

I am not home and feeling ok at the moment, just tired mainly. I have kept on top of the pain so far and it is definetly more comfortable than last year. See the physio on 12/02/10 and the OS on 22/02/10 also booked the appointment for the nurse to remove the clips from both my knees on the 17th.

Overall so far so good, fingers crossed it remains this way.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:30:06 PM by ipswich1984 »
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

ncarson

So glad your surgery has gone well.  Take it easy and hopefully you will be up and about in no time.

Sarah, I didnt have the option to MPFL as I have trochlerar dysplasia and hypermobility andthe OS said that because my "grooves" were flat instead of "c" shaped, the MPFL wouldnt be a success for me.

Ipswich, hope all goes well for you.

Natalie.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Pleased it went well for you and did not have to spend a night in the hospital and hope this time the surgery is successful and recover fully and get back doing the things you use to enjoy doing before your knee problems started. It was good that you did not have to hang around for too long and was the 1st one into theatre as there nothing worse hanging then around waiting to go in.

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
Well its been 48 hours now since my surgery, although the pain is nowhere near as bad as last year it is still quite sore but I am well prepared for it this time.

Knee still looks like a melon and is turning into a rainbow now. Ice packs are helping. Not much ROM yet but it is early days so I am not to concerned.

One thing I am finding difficult is not putting weight onto my left leg as it is so used to compnsating for my right leg since my knee troubles start so I have to think about it whenever I get up.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Hi there

Really glad its all done and it sounds like you are coping well. Two fixed knees - woohoo!  ;D  Good job we only have two legs really, not like a cat or dog with four to go wrong! Keep icing, rest up and keep us posted how things go.

Hope the recovery carries on smoothly.

All the best

Lottie  :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support