Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Stuck Range of motion 55  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Pakneegal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stuck Range of motion 55
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:22 AM »
Hi

I shattered my patella on 12/17/16.  I had surgery to repair (no pins but he used sutures to hold everything together) on 12/20.  I am 48 years old and while not a runner previo was still very active.  Post surgery,  I was locked straight in a knee brace but full weight bearing for 8 weeks. I can now walk without crutches and balance on my locked leg.  I also sit at work with my knee bent at 50 most of the day.   Unfortunately I am stuck at 55range of motion and my PT cannot get my knee to move past 58 during heel slides. Any suggestions?  I go back to the OS Friday and am so frustrated.

Thanks!

Offline Liblet

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Stuck Range of motion 55
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear of your broken Patella.  Are you in US or UK?  From what I have learned in the last few months, is that every OS has a different approach to this fracture.  Some people are put in a straight brace for a few weeks and others are allowed into a brace allowing 30 Rom immediately post op and then increasing by 30 every couple of weeks.  Eight weeks without being allowed to bend your knee seems quite a long time but your surgeon obviously thought this necessary.  I really feel for you, this is a horrid fracture, I broke mine on 7th Nov 2016 and am now starting quite aggressive physio!!  If you really cannot bend any more than 55, your OS might suggest a manual manipulation under anaesthetic.   It seems to be a catch 22, if you are put in a straight brace for a number of weeks you will probably have a well healed bone but have difficulty bending.  I now have pretty much full ROM but my bone has taken all this time to heal!  I see my OS next week and hopefully he will tell me it has now healed but it has taken a very long time.  How are you sleeping?  Night time always seems the worst and I was pretty uncomfortable for a good 3 months, it's not perfect now but it is much better.  Good luck. :)

Offline Mrs. Jones

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »
Hi,

I had surgery for a shattered patella also, 8 weeks ago. My patella was in 8 pieces and was wired and screwed back together. I also am of your age and not an athlete, but was very active. I was immobilized for 4 weeks, then went to therapy. I really didn't start making progress until about 2 weeks ago, got a new therapist who is excellent. I'm up to 45 degrees and my Surgeon is not happy, wants me to be at 60-90 now. Is talking surgical manipulation, but I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid that. From all of my research, I'm just not comfortable with the outcomes I'm hearing. I don't think I could go though a re-break which I'm hearing can happen in these surgeries!

I'm battling fluid/edema and internal scar tissue. I think if I can improve these two areas AND get as aggressive as I can stand with therapy, I can make it. I will avoid surgery to manipulate at all costs!

I'm so glad to hear others are going through similar things. Thank you for sharing here. I'm finding the stories that others share comforting because I thought I was losing my mind going through this, and the ideas they share are very helpful.

Good luck and I hope you keep us updated here.

Offline Pakneegal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
So I changed PT places (I am in the US) .  I have started water therapy which seems to be helping.  My range of motion is closer to 80 now.  It is such a long process but I am trying not to get frustrated.  Best of luck to all of those healing.