Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quad Atrophy Definition  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Quad Atrophy Definition
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
Hi jenbas01 and welcome,

I can't offer any specific advice on the surgery you've had but I know the scared feeling and the worry that things aren't as they should be - and I've not even been under the scapel (yet!!). Listen to what your PTs are saying and take your time - knees are SO slow to show any progress and healing, it seems to take forever and as soon as the muscles get used to not working the whole walking concept seems impossible - BUT you will get better and I am sure you won't regret the surgery. Both of my patellas track incorrectly - you've made a brave and right decision to get yours sorted and when you're back and walking and the little fella tracks straight and true....wooohoo!! We'll expect photos!!!

I read somewhere on here that in knee recovery you sometimes don't have to even think in terms of weeks (certainly not days!!) but monthly chunks...so perhaps look back a month, and then in another month look at how far you'll have progressed. Its hard work without doubt. Try not to lose confidence from the wobble you had when you put weight through the knee - give it time, deep breath and try again. And this forum is a mine of information of support. I never realised there were so many of us with wonky knees!!!

Good luck with everything  :)

Lottie  ;)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jenbas01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement! It is much needed. Especially when those around you are getting frustrated, yet they are able to walk around! It is so hard to sit here sometimes and watch family up and walking around, going about there daily everyday lives.. you start to wonder if you will ever see the light of day! I have had extreme anxiety with all of this.. I do well for a bit, then something happens and sets me back.. then I get an overwhelming fear and am so scared to just get up on my crutches.. my palms sweat, heart races.. then when I do walk on them my good leg starts to wobble and shake because of the anxiety, which in turn causes the bad knee/leg to freak out because it is not being supported. I wake up every morning thinking I am up and walking, and then look down at my brace and cry! They say that a positive attitude is everything in recovery.. I have good days and bad days. Taking off this brace and actually walking seems so far away, since just walking with the brace and crutches is a hurdle right now. I dont want my anxiety to hold me back.. Any thoughts on how to overcome fears right now would be helpful.! Thank you all and I am so glad I found this site for support! You have all been so wonderful!

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
jenbas01...

the beauty of this site is that you know you are talking to people who can empathise from experience, who understand your fears and frustrations without judgement.
I've had mornings where I've gone to leap out of bed and realised (luckily before it's too late) that it's not possible without crutches. I've had dreams where I'm back to "normal" (if I ever was  ;) ).

The fact that you acknowledge that you have good days and bad days is a start. Look out for triggers and be prepared to allow yourself extra space emotionally when you need it. Be prepared to ask for help (whether from those around you, or on the KGforum). Understand that it will take time (seems to be a recurring theme in my posts at the moment...which means that I must be finally getting that message into my head too!). Find things you CAN do - use your experiences to help others here.....
Make sure you keep exercising/stretching your good leg too!

...and when you feel most down ....   stop and smile .... or "fake it 'til you make it"  as my Taekwon Do instructor used to say about my reverse turning kicks!

Hugs  :-*

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »
jen,

I'm sorry you seem to be having such a tough time. Its horrible when you see everyone going about normal life and you're stuck in your brace etc - BUT it isn't forever. You've made a huge choice and a positive decision to get your knee stronger and better so that one day you'll be doing all of those things you crave at the moment. I think when you've chosen to do something rather than it just "happening" e.g. after an accident, you are bound to have days when you wonder what you've done. I would suggest you perhaps start your own thread down on the Patella-femoral section of this forum - there are LOADS of fabulous people on there and some will know exactly what you're going through and can be a bit more specific in their advice on your particular surgery.

In general though try and trust your PTs. Try and do some deep breathing and perhaps learn some relaxation technqiues to help recognise the anxiety cycle and try and break it so you can make a bit more progress. Anxiety is a bummer - its in your head but it isn't - as your body also responds physiologically and as you describe your legs shake, your heart races, your palms sweat - COMPLETELY normal! When we were cavemen that response kept us safe as we needed to react to bears trying to eat us! Good days and bad days are normal. Remember them all, but watch how the good ones start to out number the bad ones....

You will see light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel is quite long unfortunately with knees, i had no idea how complicated they were, and that doesn't help anxiety! Be patient, try and relax and visualise that day when you're free of that brace, and things will come. Do as much as you are able with PT, look after your other leg and knee too and kep it strong. Trust your rehab team, eat chocolate cake, and don't be afraid to cry sometimes. (Lottie's 3 step plan for recovery  ;))

Take care x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jenbas01

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 02:40:42 AM »
Thank you Lottie and Cosmic! Both of your replies were wonderful to my soul! Coming here after a long day of tears and fears is a wonderful relief! I feel so much support and that is exactly what I needed for this process! It is easy for those around you to say just lift your leg up.. its not hard. And you are thinking, I am trying but it wont lift!! ha ha

You are wonderful people and thank you again for your thoughts! I will check out the patella section of this forum and see if I can find someone who has had this surgery.. I know this quad will get stronger, it has too!
Bell well!
Jenbas

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Hi Jen

Glad to give back a little  :).

Your experience of "just lift your leg" made me chuckle. I went to physio for the first time on Monday... "just roll onto your tummy on  the couch and rest your toes down, then straighten your legs and lift your knees off the couch".... I couldn't even roll over... and laughed and laughed (defence mechanism!).... after several minutes I managed to get my toes to the couch (technically) but they were there in spirit and not really in body.... as for the knee straightening...hahahahahahahaha!

...but I know what I'm aiming for, and as the football-that-is-my-knee recedes to show some bony definition life will get easier and one day I'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Hope you got some useful replies in the patella forum

XX

Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
I have quad atrophy myself.  I had knee surgery twice this year. (May 25, 2010) (Oct 20, 2010).  What have you done to help with the quad atrophy? Has it gotten better?  Hope so.  Were going down stairs ever a challenge since you had quad atrophy?

Thanks
Tom

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
Mine are a lot stronger than sicne I started the topic, but not what I need them to be, so I'm still working at it.

I  found that a good exercise was to do slrs but to hold them for a long time.  I can do about 4 minutes on the left leg and 6 on the right and by the time you have to put your leg down it is shaking like craxy and the muscles are having to work.

I still do my squatts 2 0r 3 times in a day as well as heel raises for my calfs and I practrice as often as I can to stand on one leg.  I've been given lunges but I hate them so if I do them I do it very lightly.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
Hi every-one
Just thought i would chip in with my two pennyworth.
I had a patella fracture, it was in 3 pieces, displaced,and needed surgery,i was in a cast from ankle to thigh for 7 weeks,being non weight bearing in that time,once the cast had been removed i had only 20 degrees ROM,and could only do heel slides, and had to have a further 2 weeks non weight bearing with this being the only exercise.

I think you can now imagine what my leg looked like,i had only 5 physio appointments,and reached full ROM,with that the PT discharged me, saying that i was ok,i was far from ok, my leg strength was crap,all he worked on was rom, and nothing else.
I knew every-thing was far from ok,so i did a bit of research myself,and subsequently discovered this amazing site,with lots of support, help, and advice,so now i feel i would like to help others, as i myself have been helped.
It was with sheer determination and constant gruelling exercises, that i have now gotten to the stage i am at,

The key factor is to exercise little and often, your body will tell you if you are overdoing it,take every-ones tips on board, but also remember, that we are all different, our bodies heal differently,and re-act to surgery differently, so what may work for one person may not work for you, so listen to your OS, your PT, and your body.

it was the 26th of March when i had the op,so it will be exactly 8 months post-op on the 26th November.
So, here are my results to date,i can walk almost normally,little to no pain anymore,climbing stairs no longer an issue, though still need the handrail for support,though not to literally hoist my-self up as in the early days,in fact all in all, feeling quite "normal"now, just one or two hardware issues, but hopefully i can have that removed in march/april time,and these should be rectified.And the leg strength is now returning, and getting stronger day by day.
It has not been easy, and has been a long hard journey,but now i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so stick at it, and you will get there.
I feel so proud of myself having come so far, and having had no professional help or advice, so if an "oldie "like me can do it, so can you.
So i wish ever-one of you a speedy recovery,and send you my best wishes.
Kind regards.
                      coral.
PS. this link may help you.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2313283_strengthen-quad-muscles.html
and
http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8290850/quadriceps-strengthening-exercises-vmo-strengthe.htm
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:51:10 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
That is good to hear that your qauds have progressed.  Were going down stairs ever a challenege due to the weak quad?  Did going dwon stairs improve over time or were they never an issue?

You do squats 2 to 3 times a day?  With weights?   I thought squats with weights should be done once per day every other day?   Unless your dooing sum without the weights?

How many SLR do you do holding them  for 6 min?

Thanks for the info!

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
Yes,stairs were my biggest problem,it was just last week that i finally conquered that,but i am led to believe by every-ones comments, that the stairs are the last thing to be able to do.
The exercises i do are, riding a stationary bike for about 3 minutes at a time on high tension, about 10 times a day,swimming, water aerobics,the exercises shown on the link i placed on my last thread, and SLR's,very low squats(butt to heels), and thats it.......Arnie eat your heart out.
My email address is displayed so if any-one needs any exercise sheets, feel free to e-mail me, and i will glady pass them on,
 Kind Regards.
                          coral
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:03:01 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 08:36:29 AM »
Arrrggg!

I never said I used weights, never never never. NO WEIGHTS.

I go to 90 degrees ver very slowely, concentrating on using the vmo to help lower me down smoothley.

The SLRs are usually about five at a time about twice a day. I'll hold up my leg for a minute and do that 4 times on the last one I hold it as long as I can.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:42:51 AM by kscope09 »
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 04:48:28 AM »
Hi

When you first suffered from the quad atrophy, did it make you ever want to wear a knee brace?  I'm debating on getting one due to my job but wasnt sure if it might keep the quad from not strengthening  right. like maybe it might feel as though the brace is going to keep it from getting stronger.

What do you think and did you have a brace?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
I definatley agree that if you wear braces or elasticated bandages too much your body will rely on them.

For me they've been like a safety blanket and it is hard to ween off them.  I wear simple tubigrips to give my knees some extra support when out and aobut, especially when walking around on ard pavements to help reduce impact and shock.  Then when I'm inside will will just slide them down, like when I'm at work.  If I ever get back to my Karate them I'll get a proper sports brace but that may or may not ever happen.

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
Hi likewoah, I'm 9 months post op now and still have issues going downstairs so don't worry.  Even if I'm walking down the road and theres a small curb I slow down a bit, I'm getting better at that though though :-).

I am at the gym alot trying to work on those quads, VMO, hamstrings, glutes etc etc.  Do you use an exercise bike?  I'm on one for about 20 minutes and then every 5 minutes do 30 secs of standing up cycling, it REALLY works your quads and my physio tries to get me to do them as much as possiible. Its absolutely knackering but you can feel that burn! I also use the leg press alot at the gym. I used a tubigrip too while my quads were badly atrophied but unless you're really bad I wouldnt recommend to use one..it won't inhibit your quads strengthening though.

Good luck, we'll get there in the end  ;)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

support