Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quad Atrophy Definition  (Read 16041 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Quad Atrophy Definition
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
It's good to hear from you Annie and I'm very glad your doing well, keep up the good work.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »
Hi Annie.  Well that is good that there are others of us out there that experience these symptoms following a major knee surgery.  I'm working on my VMO, hamstrings, glutes, quads just like you.  I use the exercise bike but not often.  I use the exercise bike everyother day for  like 10 minutes.  I use the Eliptical machine more.  I use that for 20 minutes or so everyother day.  The Elyptical machine works your quad, cavs, hamstring, glutes etc.   My goal on the eliptical is to be able to bump it up to 30 minutes in a few weeeks everytother day.

I do sqauts every other day. I do them at the gym with 10 pound weights in each hand (20 pounds total) for 3 sets of 10.   I also use the leg press when at gym to.  Later that day at home i do squats with no weights.  another 3 sets of 10.  so roughly 60 squats every other day.   My paln is top alternate lunges with squats every 2 weeks to change things up so the routine isnt dull to the muscles. 

My personal trainer is having me do more strengthning exersices but those are done every 3rd day.   One of the exercises is squeezing a exercise ball in between my quad and inner thigh muscles.   That I think is helping too. 

Do you keep up with your Straight leg raises?  If so do you use ankle weights and how many do you do on a basis?

Thanks.  It was nice hearing from you! Keep in touch!

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for your good wishes :-)

I haven't been doing SLRs for a while to be honest, I should start again doing them 4 ways to try and help my VMO  ::) The eliptical machine freaks me out a bit, I think because it extends the leg right out which is when I have the least confidence in it..I've been using the stepper though which my physio has me doing a range of different step types-deep and long, quick and shallow etc. I can jog and skip on the floor now but can't build up the confidence to do it on the treadmill so I just do fast walking and hill walking!! :-)  I HATE squats, my crunchy knee makes me feel sick when I do them and if I go down too low my knee really hurts...but I do try to do some!  Lunges are horrible too.  In fact, writing this makes me realise I'm not doing some things I really should be!

I will definitely try the eliptical tonight I think! I'll let you know how it goes!  Take care knee pals  8)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
So for all of you going down stairs the right way took like a year or so from your surgeries?  Like for me I cant carry anything going down stairs.  I always need the railing. I guess once the quad sarts to grow stronger that is when you mastered the stairs okay?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
With me it was taking forver to ge the quads working, even when I did the exercises every day and it genuinly hurt to go up stairs and down was unthinkable.  When things go on and on your confidence goes and it is ahrder to get it back again.  My problem with downstairs was the feeling or even phobia that my leg would not bend properly and I would fall forward, and probably if I tried too early it might of happened.  Even now I look at a flight of stairs and think, "OK now take it easy," but once I can get into a rythem it gets a lot easier.  Last week I did 4 flights both up and down with very little pain, this was on the Friday and again on the Sunday and it was a real confidence boost but I still don't think I could run up and down them like I used to, 2 0r 3 steps a time.

I also noticed that with going downstairs you've got to let yourself go so that you go down in a relaxed manner.  I'm still fairly tense when I do it but when I've done a few steps I hve a rythem going and it seem s to work.

Also, with me I live in a bungalo so it was good for rehab in that I could get around the hosue OK but because I didn'thave to use steps I wasn't preactising them enough, so I started going to places where I knew there were good even steps to pratice on and a banister on both sides.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »
I have just a few more questions.  What type of knee surgery did you have and when was the surgery? 
Also were you ever doing single legged squats?  I told my PT who suggested it and there is no way. My quad is just to weak and when I tried it has to much patella pain

You think I'm doomed to never rebuilding the quad because of it?

I do squats with both legs
I do leg press one leg
I do leg curls (hamstring) one leg

The other day I ride the bike for 25 minutes in morning and around 25 minutes on the Eliptical machine 2nd half of day

I hope that workout is benficial to rebuilding.  I find it hard to beleive that as the years go on from the surgery that the quad wont get stronger.  It has to you know

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
Have you tried swimming?  I found 800m of front crawl 3 x a week through the summer strengthened my legs (when I wasn't allowed to use the gym)

Do you cycle with as much resistance as you can bear?  Have you also tried the crosstrainer and stepper machine - low impact but good for legs.   Also, the leg press?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
When I ride the Eliptical Machine I have reistance and ramp up.   However when I cycle my bike that I use doesnt have resistance.  I've heard just riding the bike is as good whether you use resistance or not. Swimming I'm not to good at.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
The bike is good for ROM, but surely, unless you have some degree of resistance, you aren't working the quads as hard - I can definitely tell the difference in my thighs (and knee) depending on the level?  How about physio exercises like leg raises, glute bridge, wallslides - I find the latter make my quads work really hard and burn.  Are you seeing a physiotherapist regularly to discuss and tailor the exercise programme?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ElSquinto

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
I'm not convinced that treatment of muscle atrophy is as simple as people are making it out to be here.

A case in point...

A have a very good friend who was a seriouis competitive figure skater for about 15 years.  She eventually progressed to performing advanced triple jumps (thankfully her knees and hips remain intact to this day - a happy state of affairs that she attributes to her decision to leave the sport when she turned 18).  Like all figure skaters she had her preferred direction of rotation - whcih led to her favoring a certain side when falling to the ice.  The cumulative effect of several years of using the same arm/shoulder to help cushion her fall led to lax ligaments in her right elbow and resultant muscle atrophy.  She can try to exercise it all she wants - but she immediately experences fatigue/cramping/soreness around the joint.

There's nothing neurological at work in her case - the bones are simply not held together well and it is not possible to again build muscle around their joints because they cannot bear training loads safely.  She's been looked over by several orthopedic surgeons - all acknowledge the problem; none dare operate on it.

I am not a doctor but it seems reasonable that if a patient undergoes a procedure like an osteotomy there's all sorts of problems with the ligaments holding the bones together and tendons that hold the musches to the bones.

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »
Were you doing single leg suquats when you had your quad atrophy? 
What kind of squats were you doing to build your quads up?

Offline lizt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »
Hi everyone
i read with interest all the post on quad atropy,cos i too have this after 7 weeks in an immobiliser brace,with a broken patella.
I understand very little about the subject cos my os doesnt tell me anything or answer my questions,so maybe someone here can help me.
Why do we need to build back up the quad muscle?I am able to walk now Kind off (not very well or great distances)
Does the lack of quad muscle have an effect on my ROM cos thats what im struggling with cant get knee to bend.
Thanks