Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendon Rupture Surgery Scheduled for Dec. 21, 2010  (Read 924 times)

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Patellar Tendon Rupture Surgery Scheduled for Dec. 21, 2010
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »
Greetings Everyone,

At a bit over 1 year recovery for a distal bicep tendon rupture surgery, I was doing "light" sparring when my partner accidently stepped on my foot while I was circling out - upper body moved, lower leg right leg remained. Pain was intense, knee joint looked grotesque - ER xray confirmed Patellar Tendon rupture. Hopefully there is not additional damage. I am 49 years old, very athletic, in shape. The knee is very swollen...Pain not too bad as long as I do not move it...

My past experience with my bicep tendon revealed some surgical techniques had better rehab time than others, however, in the end all healed equally strong. I am not looking forward to rehab again...

What can I expect? Aggressive rehab better than conservative? Any info is appreciated. Tricks for getting dressed, etc.

Bummed....
49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar Tendon Rupture Surgery Scheduled for Dec. 21, 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
Hey Capt
I am 1 Month Post op ! very rare injury as you can see ! im in a soft cast still can't do to much walking with crutches , let us know how it's going
Rossco12

Offline randoknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
Hi Capt,
Sorry about your rupture.   I ruptured my PT at 47.   I am an avid long distance cyclist.   Two years ago I slipped on some ice, went down a couple of steps rupturing my patellar tendon.  I had a two week delay in the surgery due to an ER doc diagnosing as having a simple sprain putting me on two weeks of conservative treatment.  Finally got my MRI and saw the OS.  My rupture was at the proximal (patella end) of the tendon and described by my surgeon as "mush".  The repair involved the tunnels through the kneecap with non-absorbable sutures.  I followed all the directions and PT and by April was back riding my bicycle.   The toughest part was getting the quads and especially the VMO back on-line.    By July I managed to complete a 200 mile one day ride and this last spring did a 250 mile one day ride.  Over this last summer though, I felt that things just didn't feel right and was considering going back to see the OS.   In early august when I was walking across my back yard I transferred my weight to my left leg and suffered an oblique fracture of my patella.  My busted patella has been called a "complication" from my tendon repair.  This second injury is proving to be a much bigger deal with more complications that I'll have to deal with when the fracture is healed.

My advice for rehab.   Post surgery,  keep on top of the pain meds.   I hate popping pain killers and really hate the mush minding  stuff, but the pain really sucks.  Look at your diet and stack it in favor of supplementing stuff you need to repair your abused tissue.   Next, as you're sitting on your rump with your leg elevated with blood thinners on board, start researching who you should work with for PT.  When you get you PT orders Work with the best PT you can.  Make sure they are very knowledgeable about your injury and your desire to return to an athletic level of performance.  This time around I'm working with two therapists.   One is kind of general PT and the other is tops in biomechanics of cycling.    Really try to get that VMO working properly when appropriate.  It's amazing how fast you'll loose the quads.  Listen to your knee.  You'll know how hard you can push things.

Best wishes and good vibes for a complete and speedy recovery.        Dan
12/08 L patellar tendon rupture (mush) -ORIF  -  8/10  fx of L patella  - 8/10 ORIF L Patella 9/10  dx patella alta  - 2/11 dx "delayed union" - 6/11  L knee scope / HW remvd.- 6/13  R Knee Scope - 11/13 R knee PFA - 6/14 Left knee PFA - 10/14 L Knee TTO- 11/16 L patellar tendon repair & augment

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:02:16 AM »
Thanks Dan. We'll see how it goes. After reading many posts, it is interesting to see the difference in rehab protocols, but is similar to what I went through with my ruptures distal bicedp tendon.
49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

support