Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain Medication  (Read 1263 times)

Offline fidpick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain Medication
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
I realize that everyone is different, but can anyone share with me how long they had to use pain meds. I am in to this TPF about 2 weeks and still need pain meds at certain times. My concern is that I know they are addictive, but the pain and throbbing drives me nuts.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Pain Medication
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Hi, if you need the pills, you need them. Broken bones heal in their own time. You can also take OTC painkillers during the day and save the stronger stuff for in the evening and at night, if you are thinking of trying to reduce the number of doses of the stronger stuff you're taking. It took me several weeks to be able to reduce the dosing of my painkillers after having bone shaving done. If your knee hurts that bad, discuss it with your doc, and ask about what pills he thinks you ought to be taking, if you're worried.

Remember though, it's harder to get pain under control than it is to keep it under control, so it's important to keep a regular dosing schedule, regardless of which combination of meds you're using, if you're still in a siginificant amount of pain.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
After my microfracture surgery I took 2 percocets every 4 hours for 1 week and then 1 percocet every 6 hours for the second week. After that I just took tylenol or advil whenever I needed it. Keep taking pain meds on a regular schedule, you don't want to wait until you're in severe pain.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:07:28 AM »
Ken,

I agree with derek and dm, that taking the meds on a regular schedule is important, but if you are to the point where you just sometimes need the strong stuff for breakthrough pain, then I think that's okay too. I'm no expert, but I have been through a couple of surgeries and I know each one has been different.

After my right femoral derotation, I had vicodin and it made me crazy itchy but I think I took two every 5 hours for the first week, and I was still taking 1 every 6 hours or so the second week. After about the third week I was able to cut back to just motrin in the day, and maybe 1 vicodin to help me sleep. Then the pain pretty much went away except for the occasional pain from the plate they put in. I have friends though that didn't take any of the stronger meds after the first week.

After my left femoral derotation was a completely different story. I was given percocet, because it doesn't make me near as itchy as vicodin. I, like you, was worried because the stuff is so addictive, but I followed my doctors prescription and it turned out okay. I took the percocet for at least two weeks, and found that the pain had reduced, but there was still pain. I talked to my doctor, and he decided the plate was irritating the tendons and tissues around it, so he gave me Darvocet, and I have been taking it for a little less than a year. I am finally off of it after having both the plates in my hips removed two weeks ago.

I had my right and left femoral plates removed a little over two weeks ago, and it is just now that I am pretty much off the percocet. I find that if I overdo it, and irritate the muscles and the incisions, it still helps to take them.

Sorry about the long post, but I thought you might appreciate hearing my experiences. The bottom line is if you are taking the meds to relieve pain, then I wouldn't worry too much about addiction.

Hope you feel better soon!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:21:57 AM »
I don't think that you need to worry about getting addicted to pain medication.  Take them as prescriped & don't let that pain make your healing time any slower.  Hopefully, you will be resting & healing at the same time.  Doctors are very stingy with the pain meds, even when you need them.  I don't think that they will continue to prescribe them if you don't need them, so, I doubt that you will even have a chance to become addicted. 
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline fidpick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
Hello, I am sorry that I haven't thanked all of you nice people for your advice before now. I really appreciated your advice and took it to heart. I am going in to my 8th week now with 5 weeks of physical therapy behind me. I have been back to work now for 1 week (light duty at a desk only). It has been about 3 weeks since I have needed any pain meds and then it was only at night to sleep. Yesterday I visited the orthopedic surgeon and he told me to start putting a little weight on it and use pain as a guage as to how much. It really feels good to walk a little. However, I am amazed at how fast the muscles in my leg wilted. It will take some time to get back to normal, I am sure. He showed me the x-ray they took yesterday and I didn't realize it before, but my leg was actually broke in 4 places. That makes me feel fortunate to be coming along as well as I am.

Once again I would to thank all of you wonderful people that gave me advice, it was truly appreciated and used. I hope that all of you with injuries are healing well and get well soon!

Thanks Again,
Ken

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
I've always sworn by paracetamol (solpadines), but sparingly cos their fairly strong.  i usually take two tablets at a time and they work for a couple of hours.  You can take diclofenac or ibuprphfin with them but since they contain codene don't take cocodomol with them.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support