Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Walking after ACL and MF?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Walking after ACL and MF?
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
Hi
I am due an ACL and Microfracture surgery soon

I know I will have to non weightbear for quite a few weeks - but does this mean I literally cannot walk at all or can I still get around on crutches etc so I can go on trains and other transport? Can I put just a tad of weight on to balance with crutches?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Walking after ACL and MF?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
Different surgeons do seem to recommend slightly different things after microfracture and your instructions may vary according to the OS and the site of the damage being repaired....in a weight bearing area the usual advice is several weeks with no direct weight bearing (I was told 6 weeks on crutches with no full weight but the odd toe touch was allowed...) and then weaning off crutches in the next 6 weeks. It will depend on your own situation so speak with your surgeon for full instructions. Also make sure any therapists who see you are aware of the surgeon's recommendations - you don't a PT getting you putting weight down if the OS has said not to. I've not gone for my surgery yet, (still considering other recommendations) but I think because microfracture generates a pretty fragile clot that needs to harden and fill the defect you should make every effort to be gentle with it, especially in the early stages. Perhaps do some crutch practice before the op? Have a look at some of the Post Op diaries too as they have given me lots of information about post MFX regimes.

Good luck with the surgery.  :D

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
I cant speak for the ACL protocol, but your microfracture restrictions depends on if its being done in a weight bearing area of your knee. Is it to treat a defect on a femoral condyle (weight bearing) or patella or trochlear groove ( non weight bearing)? If it is weight bearing area, then you are not going to want to put any weight at all on it for 4-8 weeks. That means plan on having that foot not touch the ground at all during that time if you can avoid it. My experience was the crutches were tolerable once i figured out the best way to get around on them. Good luck!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »
MFX and ACL - your kind of looking at 6 weeks (if its is a weight bearing area) of non-weight bearing.
Practice before hand, getting up stairs, getting up from the sofa, carrying things from room to room - you would not believe how difficult the simplest of things can be when you've got both hands in use with crutches. (I had to learn how to empty the dishwasher, whilst on crutches, after my MFX - ended up using a kitchen chair to expedite the situation ::) )

Just to reinforce what Lottie has said - make sure your PT and OS are in synch, you dont want to undo all the good work that the OS does.

Good luck with the operation
Craig
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline Lil W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:31:52 AM »
I am due for an ACL & MCL Reconstruction on Tuesday - my OS advised that it would be no weight bearing for at least 2 weeks - then gradually building up...obviously, each case is different & would depend on the actual surgery, how it's performed etc...
I only have 4 weeks off of work - so if it's 6 weeks with absolutely no weight bearing - I will be a little worried...
Early Oct 09 - PAIN!
Oct 09 - LCL tear (x2), Cyst, Meniscus Damage, Hyperlaxity (Patella)
29 Oct 09 - Left Arthroscopy - Repair LCL, remove cyst, remove over 30 "bony fragments", excess laxity, MCL damage, missing cartilege, Stretched ACL
19 Jan 10 - ACL & MCL Reconstruction

Offline mouk786

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies

yes my physio said around 6 weeks + if weight ebaring

I am also hoping to only take 4 weeks off work - its driving that will do me in as i can work at my desk once i am there.

Offline Tonytemple

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »
         I had ACL recontruction and MF to my right knee in July 09 and was not told anything by the surgeon about non wieght bearing. The physios then had me doing full weight bearing exercises at about 4 weeks post op.

Although i did make progress and the knee is stable again i still have bad pain on stairs etc. Still cannot do single knee bends and there has been no improvment in my knee for months.  :'(

The surgeon wants to see me next month, and if no improvment wants to have a look inside (arthroscopy). He's then talking Cartilage Graft if MF has not healed properly.

I dont think i should have been doing those excercises in physio so soon after surgery.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
Sorry to hear things haven't improved much Tony- why don't OSs and PTs speak to each other?! As said, if the MFX isn't on a weight bearing surface then weight bearing might not be restricted, but it is still a fragile site that needs time to clot and harden, wherever it is located. Recovery can take a long time, so you may find that things suddenly start to pick up. At least your OS has a plan of where to go next, lots of people on here have had very succesful grafts/ACI procedures after failed MFX - take a look at the Post Op diaries.

Good luck!  :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
One thing to note about knee surgery - check with your insurers about there 'time' between operation and being able to drive.
For instance, i have a company car and the insurance company wouldn't let me drive for 6 weeks after my knee operation. I understand this is pretty standard across the industry.

These insurance companies all have small print to get out of paying claims. 
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(