Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI biopsy scheuled for this Monday, Jan. 4th.  (Read 14140 times)

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI biopsy scheuled for this Monday, Jan. 4th.
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
HTH and Ace,
Again thanks for the suggestions.  I am sure they will be very useful.  I never even thought of the Red Cross to get stuff.  I am still waiting for them to call with a surgery date.  I wish I could just do it soon and get it over with.  I have concert tickets on Oct. 8th and I am thinking that depending on when I have the surgery I am going to have to either sell them or try to go in a wheelchair.  What are your thoughts about getting out in the publice like that, is it too scary, afraid you will fall or someone will bump into your leg?  I sure don't want to do anything to screw this up after going through everything.

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Melissa

If I were you I'd try to get a date for after your concert so you can go.  You may not feel up to going in the early days – really depends on how you respond to the surgery as well as what your rehab protocol looks like.  I seem to recall my early days being a blur of CPM or exercises and not much time for anything else.  Then there is how much pain you may be experiencing – so many unknowns.  Far better to enjoy the concert and have your op just after is my opinion.  But then, we don't know how you'll feel then.

What about trying to prod them for a date?  I kept prodding.  Initially I got a date of early October, then later I got a date of 21 September and just after that it was brought forward to 14 September.  In your case, you may be able to get a date that suits you best.  Just let them know you can't do anytime before 8th Oct.

Whatever you decide keep posting to let us know how you're getting on!

1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
Well, just as an update.  I have been approved for about 3 weeks now and hadn't heard from my surgeon.  Called yesterday and I was told Oct. is booked and it would be November!  I was kind of upset.  I wanted to get this done in Sept. so I could be thru rehab and back to activity by next Spring.  Guess that is not going to happen.  She said there may be one date in Oct. that would be possible.  Hoping they can get me in sooner than Nov. 12th.  On the bright side, I can go to my concert now!  haha.

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
Got the call today and I am officially scheduled for surgery on Nov. 8th.  Still wish I could have gotten it done sometime in Oct., but I guess I am thankful to have a date.  Now, the waiting and anxiety will set in over the next month.  Guess I will need to start collecting all the things all you nice people suggested.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 12:53:15 AM »
Looking on the bright side, you've got a bit more time to sort out your Christmas shopping etc. before the op!  ;)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

cdubb

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
Melissa, I'm scheduled for a patella ACI and AMZ on Nov. 3rd, so I'll be just a few days ahead of you on my recovery. I've been trying to plan and figure things out also.  Luckily, we have a guest bedroom on the main floor of our house.  I've heard that the ACI itself it's too bad pain wise, but the AMZ is where most of the pain will come from. Don't know if you're having that done also, but from my understanding, if you have a patella defect, the AMZ should be done also if not previously performed. It increases success rates enormously.  I'm also having my right knee scoped at the same time to do stage it and do an ACI biopsy if needed based on findings. 

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »
Cdubb,
That is cool that we are having it done basically the same time, it will be good to have someone to share experiences with.  I am not having the AMZ, just ACI.  My doc says my alignment is good.  He said the only other thing he may have to do is tighten my outer knee ligaments.  I am thinking that I may just make one trip up and down the steps per day.  Or I may use an air mattress on the main level for the first few days.  Where are you having yours done?  Did they say if you would stay the night in the hospital?

Melissa

cdubb

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
Melissa,
I'm having mine done by Dr. Brian Cole out of Rush in Chicago.  I hear he's one of the best and his name is all over the studies and literature, so I'm luck to live in the area.  It is outpatient, but I have seen that a lot of docs to them inpatient.  It will probably be a later morning surgery and later afternoon discharge.  I've seen some people on these boards have this surgery with him and they are discharged 3 hours after surgery.  I suppose that is just a physician preference.   I was told that most of my pain will be from the AMZ because that is the bone cutting part.  That is also why I will have protected weightbearing status.  If it was just the patella ACI, then his patients are allowed to bear weight right away.  Where is yours being done? 

Courtney

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »
Courtney,
I am not too far from you.  My doctor is Dr. Noyes in Cincinnati.  He has told me that I will be non weight bearing for 6 weeks with a brace for most of that time.  I haven't asked about inpatient vs. outpatient.  I guess it will all depend on how things go and what my pain level is after the surgery.
How did you injure your knee?

Melissa

cdubb

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 03:37:44 AM »
Melissa,
No specific injury...just bad knees I guess.  I waas a college softball pitcher and maybe being a Div. I athlete put some extra stresses on my knees?  I had my right knee scoped (chondroplasty/lateral release) when I was done competing (9 years ago) and had a grade 4 defect at that time, but have managed okay after it was debrided and a lateral release done.  I had my left scoped 7 years ago because my right was so bad, I didn't want it to get that bad.  I had no defect at that time it was a simple chondroplasty/lateral release.  Now I have a grade 4 defect in my central patella on my left knee.  My right has actually always bothered me more until last Feb and the left just swelled up enormous after just doing a few flights of stairs.  It never recovered and I kept getting these sharp, stop you in your tracks pains with even simple walking activities.   I have a 4 year old...so it is a bit difficult to keep up with him.   I haven't even wanted to take him to the zoo, etc this summer because I can't tolerate the walking.   Previously, my knees would just bother me when on stairs, playing sports, etc.  Now, the left bothers me just walking at times.  The right also, but not like the left.  Kinda crazy how my left just completely flipped out on me.   Since the right isn't good either and I do want to try and be more functional and possibly even attempt to play some recreational tennis w/ my husband someday, I'm having the right scoped at the same time my left ACI/AMZ is done to take take an ACI biopsy if need be and figure out a plan of action for that one. 

It's kinda crazy how a small little 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm defect on my patella could create such a signficant impact on my daily activities.  I'm 5'11" and 155 lbs, so I'm not overweight, so that isn't contributing.....I'm guessing that my kneecap doesn't track quite right, which is probably why defect is even threr and why the AMZ is also being done.

How'd you hurt yours?

cdubb

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 12:50:04 AM »
Melissa,
Nevermind on the "How'd you hurt yours". I can see on your profile the injury description.  I haven't figure out how to do that yet. 

It's really strange how different physicians have different protocols for the same procedures.  Your Dr. told you that you'd be NWB for 6 weeks, while mine told me that the only reason I have WB protection is because of the AMZ...and even then I'm 20% (although...really, that isn't of too much benefit other than maybe balancing). His PA told me that patella ACI's can bear weight right away if the AMZ isn't performed at the same time.  Maybe your weightbearing protection is because of the other tightening of ligaments you mentioned, or just a physician preference. 

Do you happen to have small kids at home?  I'm a bit concerned about having a 4 year old, very active little boy running around.  I have a very wonderful, involved husband who I know won't mind picking up my slack during my recovery, but I have this fear of my son knocking me over or jumping on my leg.  Hopefully, the giant brace on my leg will be a good reminder for him to be careful around mommy.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 01:20:50 AM »
Hi cdubb

Your fears about your 4 year old are likely to be quite sensible.  I still haven't figured out what to do and I have an 11 year old who still wants to sit on my knee!  ::)

If you have family support nearby perhaps they could help out as well.  Although the graft is well protected with the brace any little incident still prays on your mind as many have posted here.

Good luck in November to both of you!

cdubb

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
Thanks Rennschnecke....surgery date is one month away...I really just wish it would get here!  My biopsy was only on 8/31 and luckily, my insurance approved the patella ACI in less than 2 weeks (I hear that some insurance fight those), but  I just want to be moving forward though.  I'm sure everyone one these boards understands that though.   I'm sure it will be here before I know it though!   

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 02:30:35 AM »
Courtney,
Yeah, both of my knees have that grinding sound when I walk up the stairs, I think they call it crepitus (spelling ?) but since I injured my left knee it is much worse.  It can get caught on that defect under my knee cap and pop, and thats when it really bothers me.  Stairs are hard and any time I walk a lot like going to the mall or if I try to play golf more than 9 holes I have to ice.  I used to walk on my street every night after work and I had to give that up quite some time ago.  Having a bad knee is just no fun at all.  I am hoping to get back to being able to exercise, do yoga, golf and basically not think about my knee with every thing i do.
I don't have any young kids at home, mine are 17 (almost 18) and 13.  I am just worried about them getting tired of helping with everything around the house after the surgery, lol. You know teenagers.  I joked with my Mom that she would have to come over and check on me so my family wouldn't leave me in my room with no food and water.
It is strange that different doctors have different protocols on recovery.  I just assumed that all ACI's were NWB for 6 weeks in order to give the graft the best chance to take and grow.  I will have another appt closer to my surgery date so I will have lots of questions to ask at that time.
Thanks again Renn for you kind words!

Melissa

cdubb

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »
Melissa,
I  was kind of curious about the differences in protocols and actually checked Dr. Cole's rehab protocol online for just a patellafemoral ACI (w/o AMZ or distal realignment) and it does have protected weight bearing, but I am absolutely positive his PA told me at my ACI biopsy post op that the AMZ is the only reason for I'll be on protected weight bearing status and that the patella ACI alone could bear weight.  Location and size of the defect could play into that also.  So, it could have been for my particular defect I could bear weight, but for the AMZ.

You may want to see if you can just e-mail your Dr. or his PA a list of questions.  It may save you a trip into the Dr.   I sent his PA a whole long list of things (and I tend to ramble in my e-mails) and told her if it was too much to answer, let me know and I'd come in.  She responded quickly with all the answers.  I've found my Dr.'s office to be very responsive to e-mails (Dr. Cole included).  Some people may prefer the face time though instead of e-mail. 

And I totally hear you with the not having to think about your knee all the time.  I am constantly evaluating the terrain I'm walking on to take the path with no slopes, stairs, etc.  I just use our bannisters to help unload weight when I'm going up/down stairs at home and even then I compensate with my hips still.   I push myself up with my arms from a seating position and lower myself the same way.  I'd love to not always have to think about what I am doing and what can I do to make sure I don't get that sharp, stop you in your tracks pain!   I'm only 31...so I have a long time that these knees need to keep me going!   

I'm sure your family won't leave you alone in your room!  You'll probably be amazed at how they step up to the plate.  I also have a 13 and 10 year old stepkids, so when all 3 kids are here...I'm concerned about the chaos!! I may lock myself in my room then!  I think I have a solid week after surgery with only my 4 year old here before the chaos of a 13, 10 and 4 year old here!