Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACI biopsy scheuled for this Monday, Jan. 4th.  (Read 14139 times)

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: ACI biopsy scheuled for this Monday, Jan. 4th.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
Hi Melissa

Just wading in here re. success rates and return to sport. As far as I could see from the papers I read no-one was worse off after the surgery than they were before. Most (up to 90% ish) were better off but the stats for as good as pre-injury levels are lower.

As for return to sport, there is a paper to indicate that return to sport is associated with better outcomes. The return to previous levels of sport are confounded by the lengthy rehab period during which time people's lives have moved on and perhaps the desire to return is not so great as they also have to add on the time for conditioning as well. Some people have returned to pre-injury levels of performance (elite athletes) and this is associated with age, but possibly also life stage (e.g. younger people may not have dependents).

Not sure if it is encouraging or what but the stats on World Cup aerials competitors shows that around 2/3 have had multiple ACL reconstructions with other concomitant conditions these are not injured and out of the sport but are still actively competing. I know it's not ACI, but I'd bet that some of these have/had cartilage defects.

Hope you're recovering well from your scope.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »
Ok, it has been a while since I had my first scope but it has been two weeks and I am still on crutches and getting a little frustrated.  Does anyone remember how long the recovery was for their biopsy scope?
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
I remember feeling better after the scope than before but I was on crutches before the scope.  I guess it took around a week to get back to pre-scope state.  However, I was on crutches before the scope owing to complications following a scope 5 months earlier.

If you're worried about needing crutches still go back to your OS and mention it for peace of mind of nothing else.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »
Well I saw my OS again a few weeks ago and we decided to go ahead and get the process started for my ACI surgery.  He is still saying that the patella ACI's are not as successful and sometimes hard to get approved.  They were going to get the precert started with my insurance and I haven't heard anything yet.  I hope I don't have a hard time getting approved because I am ready to just get this done and get it over with.  My knee has really started to bother me more lately.  I didn't know this, but my doctor, Dr. Noyes in Cincinnati was one of three US surgeons to first be certified to do this surgery.  He said they were flown to Switzerland and trained.  I feel like I am in good hands at least.
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:58:40 AM »
Well, I guess now it is official!  I got my letter today from Anthem approving the surgery.  Wow, now I am getting scared just thinking about all the rehab, pain, crutches.  It is a bit overwhelming.  Now, I guess the only thing left to do is get my surgery date scheduled.  Anyone have any hints, suggestions, of things I should buy or plan for before the surgery.  I have a two flights of stairs in my house and my bedroom is on the top.  Is it possible to navigate stairs at all right after surgery?
All words of wisdom are welcome.

Missy

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »
Missy

Move your bedroom downstairs if you can or at least to the same level as the WC - avoid stairs as much as possible during the early period (could be a while before you tackle them normally) and certainly while you have crutches.  Stairs are not impossible, but you won't want to do them in a hurry!

Visit Chester Knee Clinic for more info.  They also have a list of things to think about and get in preparation for an ACI adventure.

Good luck!

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »
Renn,
Thanks for your reply, I will check that out.  Problem is there are no bedrooms on our main floor.  Guess I will have to figure out something.  I did the stairs after a my scopes but there was not a brace involved.   :(

Offline Cricket

• Regular Poster
    • My ACI blog
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:21 AM »
My bedroom is on the third floor and I got to it just fine when I came home from my ACI. What is more important is not having to go far once you are settled. If you can have a bed, a bathroom, a tv, a chair, and a footstool all next to each other then you are set.
Jan 2009 - OCD diagnosis in femoral articular cartilage of R. knee
Mar 2009 - Microfracture
Sept 2009 - Arthroscopy and cartilage harvest
March 24th 2010 - ACI part 2

http://allisonsaci.blogspot.com/

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
Yes, my bedrooms are on the second floor but the bathroom is at ground level so I got a bed set up downstairs so I could access the bathroom easily.  Stairs were OK when I had time to go one at a time, but they are carpeted and the crutches tended to feel as though they were sliding when I was going a little faster certainly couldn't be sure of making it in time if I needed the bathroom in an emergency!!! :o

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
Melissa S,

I am almost 6 weeks post op.
I would echo what Renns has said about stairs. They are not impossible and are easier with a brace. i venture upstairs at least once a day but make sure that somebody is with me to assist should i get into difficulty.
If you have crutches now, try practicing (with different techniques) and working out a safe route and you will be able to see if you have sufficient hand holds particularly where stairs change direction or meet different levels.
You dont want to be sitting in bed all day and night so invest in a comfy chair if you dont have one already. i have a recliner which is good for getting in and out of and also nodding off in when you have had a bad nights sleep!!!!!
On the sleep side, i bought an air bed which is really comfortable and can be inflated/deflated in minutes and does not take up a lot of storage space. Will come in handy in the future when im in the dog-house! ;D

Good luck.

ACE UK  :P

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 02:33:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I suppose I will hang out in my bedroom which has a bed, chair with stool (may need to get something higher) and bathroom connecting.  I also have an air mattress which I thought of using on my main floor to avoid the stairs but I thought it may be hard to get in and out of on the floor.   :-\
I have been reading some of the blogs and I guess I need to invest in a shower chair and raised toilet seat too?  Does insurance help out with this stuff or not?
Everyone on here is so helpful and nice, I am sure I will have more questions to come.

thanks!
Melissa

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
Melissa,

Consider a raised toilet frame rather than just a seat. Its a lot more comfortable and has the added hand holds for support and movement. The only down side is that it is bulky needs to remain in situ but can easily be lifted and moved. You will also need something to support and raise the leg when on the throne! ;D
My mom has a shower seat but i find that too tricky to get in and out of the cubicle. I have stuck with a simple bath board which goes across the top of the bath and is easy to get on and off for showering. Again, you will need something to support the leg whether on a bath board or on a shower seat.

ACE UK :P

Offline Cricket

• Regular Poster
    • My ACI blog
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 02:22:28 PM »
I don't think insurance helps, though all plans are different. It doesn't hurt to ask. I got most of my supplies off Amazon which had pretty good prices.

I ended up preferring a lower footstool and using a pillow if I wanted more height. I did not use anything to prop up my foot in the bathroom or shower, but I was really happy to have the separate handles attached to the toilet directly. Very sturdy. I think it is all preference.
Jan 2009 - OCD diagnosis in femoral articular cartilage of R. knee
Mar 2009 - Microfracture
Sept 2009 - Arthroscopy and cartilage harvest
March 24th 2010 - ACI part 2

http://allisonsaci.blogspot.com/

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:39 PM »
Melissa

Just remembered, it might be worth sorting out a wheelchair for yourself for the early days so you can get out and about a bit more easily.  You can try the local Red Cross office which gives them out on loan for a voluntary contribution.  I think you can get up to 3 months from them.

HTH

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »
Renns,

Thanks for the reminder! Red Cross are wonderful. They have been helping me out with some equipment and will be getting a nice cheque from me next week!  ;D

ACE UK  :P