Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: quad tendon pain and swelling  (Read 5065 times)

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
quad tendon pain and swelling
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:55:10 PM »
hi everyone
i am trying to find the best course of action for quad tendon pain and swelling.
i have had 4 op's to my right knee over the years 2 meniscus trims , 1 acl recon and 2 weeks ago a diagnostic scope of my right knee which came back with no further damage inside my knee. since april 09 i have had pain in my quad tendon in the vmo area and also just above the knee when trying to exercise the quads. i have  very weak quads and even if i do 2x10 quad contractions and 2x10 slr it is painfull just after ex and the next day this flairs up. the muscle itself aches a little but the tendon pain is quite bad and it is hampering my ability to do the exercises.
i even use a cryocuff for 30 mins post ex but the pain still occurs. i also have a kneecap tracking issue now as my lateral quads have now become the only muscles that really work. i have read about cortisone injections and prolotherapy but i do not know if these are the options for me.

p.s i tried exercising through the pain about 3 months ago and i could not put weight on my leg for 4 days.
can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?
at the moment i am doing 2 x 10 static quad contractions, 2 x 10 slr , 2 x 10 vmo squeeze then using cryocuff 20- 30 mins then rest for a day
hope someone can advise me

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: quad tendon pain and swelling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
I've got really weak VMO and medial quads, my lateral quads got stronger this year through loads of spinning and training and then bingo - they made pre-existing niggly knee issues MILES worse and I've been in meltdown for the past 4 months.... (tracking, chondromalacia, lesions on femur etc etc).

Sounds like you're doing the right sort of quad exercises that won't actively stress the knee, I also find the use of a small e-stim machine called a Neurotrac Sports helps with just trying to wake up the muscle and keep it stimulated without actually "working" if you get my drift. The Neurotrac has several specific rehab settings and I am trying to use it twice a day. Only been at it for about 7 days but I can bike for longer without my knee swelling and generally the muscle doesn't feel quite so pathetic - although I have miles to go! I'm trying to get some strength back pre-surgery so I can empathise with your problems....

also can you do anything water based? Cycling under water, aqua jogging, just moving legs back and forwards as the water gives you resistance.

And don't forget the quads are linked to the other muscles - try and work your glutes (butt) and your hip flexors if you can as they'll complement any gains in the quad region. Stronger glutes will help the patella track properly and stop it moving inwards, better hip flexors balance out the quads and glutes. And loads of long calf stretches help me. I do standing and seated calf stretches and hold each for at least 50 seconds.

Hope this helps in some way...

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:15:09 AM »
hi lottie,

thanks for the quick reply. i  just got an e-stim unit on ebay last week and i have used it once or twice, my concern just now is i can only exercise 1 day then i have to rest my leg the next and i am only doing a little exercise(but i suppose i have to build up my strength slowly). i used to swim but it would make the knee problems worse. i might give aqua jogging a go once the scars on my knee heal fully. i too used to cycle quite a lot but ended up with really tight lateral quads and it band. i am due to see a new pt on jan 5th so i will see what she says.
p.s. let me know if you make any progress
owen

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
Hi Owen

I think exercising every other day is just fine if that is what your knee can currently cope with - rest is just as important as active exercise so don't be too hard on yourself. Perhaps try and use the e-stim machine regularly and just see how that fits in alongside the exercises, it does take a while to feel any benefit to it. My IT band is also really tight on the problem knee side - I can feel it sometimes like a separate entity on my leg -  sports massages help it, as does some foam rolling - if you can manage to foam roll yours and your calves that can also help but be careful not to put pressure on the knee joint or ligaments. One other exercise I do is to sit with knees at 90 degrees, back nice and straight and feet on floor and then push down through heels and try and flick the VMO (put your finger on it to make sure its firing)  - my PT said do this 100 times a day each side. If it aggravates your knee stop, but its a static contraction in a different plane to the straight leg ones.

I'm thinking of hitting the Aqua Aerobics classes at my gym, never done them before as thought they were the domain of the elderly and immobile but my cardio fitness is vanishing by the day so I'll try anything!!!

Good luck with your rehab and keep us posted

Lottie  :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:34:50 PM by Lottiefox »
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline owen13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
hi lottie,

i went to my pt last night to give her the lowdown on my knee, she agreed e-stim is the way to go.
she also said that a lot of the pain in my leg is because my acl repair of 5 years ago is very lax and the fact i have a very weak vmo and tight lateral muscles it is putting a"shearing force" over my patella and tendons.
it has been building up over the last year or two, so she thinks an acl fuctional brace will help to centre the knee until i can build up some quad muscles, because all other attempts have failed with extreme pain and swelling  in the quad tendon area.

owen

ps can anyone recommend a good acl fuctional brace at a low price? ???

Offline prech

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »
Just to chime in, Dr Marrow is a renowned prolotherapy practioner at UCLA and has a series of videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/drmarcdarrow

Not sure if prolotherapy is appropriate in your case, but just further information

support