Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My proposed extensive MACI - Feb 3rd 2010  (Read 16973 times)

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: My proposed extensive MACI - Feb 3rd 2010
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 04:18:55 AM »
4 months post op

The 4 month mark has just ticked over (doesn't time fly :D) timely for an update.

I have no pain, I can walk normally (to an outsider looking on), going up stairs alternately no problem, going down stairs one step at a time, am a little stiff when I get up to move if I have to sit in one place for too long (like at meetings in work) all good but I don't have full ROM.

My ROM is about 100 at my last measurement - couple of weeks ago at physio - so it is still improving. I know this as I've been measuring my 'bend' on the leg press with aligning the seat on the leg press to the screws on the slider hahaha I keep getting further along the slider so I know it's better. I can also now crash the whole way in with the leg press which wasn't the case about a month ago. I'm not happy with how my ROM is being measured by the physio - they do it a different way each time. Last visit I lay down on the bed on my tummy, hands at my sides & bent my knee towards my butt with no outside pressure. My good leg can't get full ROM in this position!! Anyway I know I'm harping on about ROM but it is dear to everyones' heart so thought it may be of interest. I've decided to defect & try another physio - will let the board know how that goes :) :)
Renn, I've never heard the aqua belt called an aqua jogger before but I use one at class each day - they are colour-coded here for size. Still using the cross trainer for 30 minutes before aqua class and have now started a weekly low impact circuit. Will start some weights soon to achieve the balance.

Are you still scheduled for the scope? Hope you're still enjoying your super gym :D

Cheers,
7of9
May 22 2013 RK LR & medial capsular plication, debridement, meniscus repair
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI
Nov 4 2009 LK scope - meniscus repair, debridement,      biopsy for MACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
7of9

Sounds like you're doing very well!  Getting to 100 degrees is excellent and if you continue to do stretches you may find it will go all the way without surgery.  Hope your extension is full so you won't have scarring problems further along the line.

Don't worry about the different ways they measure ROM.  I know it's good to see the knee bend fully, but full ROM is always by comparison with the good leg and it's good to bend it all the different ways.  I tend to bend it one way myself, but my therapist always does it different ways and works me to full ROM in all directions.

Good luck with the new physio, though if you're on the cross trainer and leg press it sounds like you're going really well.  But sometimes it's really good to come at things with a fresh perspective.

Ahhh, my scope!  That's been postponed indefinitely (but it will be happening).  I've had some very long examinations by the OS and it looks as though all my work has kept my knee mobility stable.  The scar tissue isn't contracting the patella much more so it's no longer considered critical.  My chiro also says I must be doing something right as my knee is looking a bit better.  I think it's down to daily stretching of the knee plus patella mobilisations and working on hyperextension plus my weekly programme of strengthening and functional exercises.

Unfortunately, OS wants me to get pain under control and improve function; pain clinic says I'm unlikely to improve my pain unless scar tissue can be attended to by OS ...  ???

So, after reaching the giddy heights of going to clinic without brace and crutch I've been back onto my usual slide down into pain. :'(  Back to brace and crutch.  I'm finally resigning myself to the fact that my recovery is going to take a while.  Right now I feel like I'm at 11 weeks post-op rather than 11 months, but I know what I'm doing now.  Just allow myself 4 times as long to make a change as I want/expect.

I've decided to take a 'knee break' for a few months as I don't have the energy/time to keep at this now.  I want to complete my dissertation and move on with my life, so the postponed surgery is quite good from that perspective.  But, for now I need to get myself to bed and snuggle down with a nice spoonful of morphine sulphate!  ::)

Speak later!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
Hi SevenofNine,

I have read your recent posts and just want to throw in a word of caution. Tell me to get lost if you like.

Over the last five years I have supported a number of people through their rehab after MACI. Some of these have pushed the PT far too early and ended up tearing the grafts or wearing away the fragile new cartilage until it has had time to knit and grow properly.

I was still partial weight bearing at 10-12wks stage with both of my knees - I can now run 5miles in under 40mins with no pain or discomfort.

All I am suggesting is you take it a bit steadier than you have been doing and manage the new cartilage to full thickness growth, which takes 18-24mnths!

You are doing really well and I just don't want to you to end up where some others are back at the starting point, or worse, all over again.

Jules
Julian

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
4.5 Months Post Op
Breaking news - I can now ride my stationary bike forwards, with no resistance of course  ;D I know this is blase for most of you at my stage but it is exciting for me. I have no idea what my ROM is as I have changed physios and have my first appointment next week but I do know that it's improved.

Thanks Julian UK for your wise words of caution - I know you don't frequent the boards often but will get this next time you're online. I understand that you are a veteran of MACI rehab & congrats on running 5 miles < 40"; the fact that you're running at all is an inspiration to all of us in the earlier stages. As far as my rehab goes I don't believe I am doing anything to damage my grafts - not that any of us intentionally do that - though we are all different. My exercise regime is approved by my OS; he recommended the cross trainer. Aqua aerobics in the deep water is completely non-impact. The weights I do in the gym are predominately upper body, which is strong after 8 weeks on crutches - I live alone so had lots of crutching to do. The lower body leg presses are the same as those I do in physio. I have no pain and no swelling; I ceased medications about day 4 post op. If I develop pain or swelling I would of course adjust my regime. I have been weight bearing as tolerated since day 1 so my legs muscles are quite good - not to the level of pre-surgery but getting there. As for stairs, I wouldn't do them at all but there is no choice at the gym - I don't gallop up them but I can certainly manage them with no pain.

I have my next OS visit early July so I'm hoping I won't need further surgery for scar tissue. I think the bike may save me !
Hope you are all enjoying the World Cup - not good for my sleep :D

Cheers,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
Hi 7of9,

Great to hear you are doing well and you sound like you are in far greater shape than I was before my op. I virtually had no quads and VMO non-existent in left leg. However these days I actually can see some muscle around my knees!

take care and keep moving forward, just manage it carefully like you are.

kind regards,

Jules
Julian

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
7of9

How time flies - I remember wishing you well for the surgery and now look at how things have been going. It sounds like you are doing really well and approaching the whole lonnnnnnnnng rehab thing so positively. You're a bit of an inspiration for how MACI can turn out, especially with relatively extensive lesions that were dealt with. Good on you for coming so far, long may progress continue!!

World Cup - not bad but I've been more of a Wimbledon girl the past 2 weeks, in lust with Rafa Nadal's biceps! I'm due for forefoot surgery on the 14th July - knees have settled somewhat with decent PT and good weather, right foot which has always had a niggly big toe and mild bunion went into meltdown and hasn't stopped. Severe arthritis shows on X-ray so its being re-aligned on the big toe joint and cleaned up, or if too far gone...fused. Eeeek. But it won't get better and all the PT in the world won't help a buggered big toe!  ::) :'(  WB in sexy podalux shoe immediately but crutches recommended for 2 weeks and 5 weeks no driving, then it should be back to normal function (albeit probably 6 months before a normal foot).....fingers crossed. My first ortho surgery - quite scared!

Keep us posted and so glad to hear things are doing well

Lottie x :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
5 months Post Op

I've just been back to the OS - I had this appointment booked to see if I needed a scope for removal of scar tissue - & he's happy for me to continue with my exercise regime. My ROM is now 110 so still improving albeit slowly. I continue to be pain free with no swelling so I have to be happy with that ;D

My new physio is "different" - although he's Western medicine he does lean to Eastern methods. He is of the belief that knees post surgery have been damaged from the tourniquet used on the thigh to minimise the blood in the surgical site, as well as damage from the invasive surgery itself. The tourniquet squashes the main blood vessels and nerves that supply the knee. He applied accupuncture to my hip flexor & my ROM inceased from 105 to 110, just like that!! He also does a lot of manipulation of the calf, hamstring & quads - very interesting. I'll keep you all posted. I liked the logic of it & will give anything a go, that doesn't harm my 'new' cartilage :D

Renn, I hear your pain - such a long time but everyone has their own pace dependent on their history & body. You have to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel; it can only get better for you.

Lottie, your poor feet - I don't like the sound of 'fused' either, surely there has to be an alternative. I did enjoy Wimbleton though the finals were a tad predictable! Keep well, as you say, cake helps or a snowball ;)

Cheers,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline ACE UK

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
Wow, fantastic progress!
About two weeks to go for my op.
Did you have any other procedure with MACI at all?

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
Hi Ace UK,
no just MACI - left knee, two quite large lesions LFC & Trochlea. Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well for you ;)
Cheers,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 04:06:04 AM »
7 Months Post Op (almost)

I'm an avid reader of the boards & feel your pain & frustration out there but want to encourage you all to hang in there with your rehab protocols in the early weeks; it does get better.

I'm certainly not a text book case history with my ROM really slow to return but hey that's the way it worked for me & who's to say it wasn't meant to be that way for my body.

I have been pain free since the first week with swelling gradually reducing over the first eight weeks. My ROM is currently over 120 (with no resistance - I can get more if I pull on my ankle) and still improving. My new physio is now working on my back & waist (he has moved up from my hip flexor) and his methods appear to be working 8)

I do about 2 hours each evening in the gym - a mixture of weights, water & core work. I can swim laps now (both freestyle, backstroke & breaststroke ;D) - I never could do butterfly hahah. I have no problems with stairs, up or down - I go up and down  at a steady pace. I sometimes find my self moving into a skip/jog and have to stop myself. I've been told not to run until at least 12 months post. My next goal is spin/RPM class but will hold off on this until I see the OS scheduled for October.

I'm due a break now as I've been back at work since mid April so am heading of to Alice Springs in October for the Masters Games - as a supporter this time ;)

Happy re-habing  ;D

Cheers,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
8 months post op

Time to report in to my favourite boards :D

My exercise regime continues in the gym / water with my muscle mass returning to my legs. I so feel I could run but I won't ! I have added pilates, fitball and body balance classes to my week & find the these classes introduce new stretches which benefit the knee. They also have elements of kneeling which I was really hesitant at first but am now becoming accustomed to the new 'feeling' of kneeling on my maci'd knee.

I'm off to Alice Springs for a couple of weeks so will be doing lots of swimming and walking.

Cheers,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »
Hey, Congratulations!  :D :D :D

After a slow start with the ROM, it sounds as though you're now well on the way to a full recovery.  Enjoy this return to health and have fun in Alice Springs!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: My proposed extensive MACI - Feb 3rd 2010 - 9 Months Post Op
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45:07 AM »
Hi, it's been 9 months since my op & my knee is feeling great.

After a very slow regaining of my ROM I have been discharged from physio with full ROM. I didn't use a CPM (not generally used here in Australia - from my research here it is believed to certainly increase ROM but that may come with increased pain. I can agree with this theory from my own experience as I haven't used any pain meds since week 1 however I understand that everybody is different, so who knows!!)

I also have been 'discharged' from my OS who doesn't want to see me again but asked if I wouldn't mind coming back in about 12 months time just to let him know how I'm going :D

I've now got the okay to increase my activity as I feel able - I have returned to RPM/Spin classess and just love it. I've been keeping the resistance low (cautious) but have no pain & am really enjoying getting back into it. My next goal is tennis (doubles) but will build resistance in RPM first.

All good; looking forward to summer ;D

7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »
Congratulations!!!   Good to hear that it's all worked out for you.  Hope your return to fitness goes smoothly.

Enjoy the summer!  :)

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Great news 7of9.  I am beginning this journey on Monday so it is great to hear that you are good after nine months!   :)

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

support