Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My proposed extensive MACI - Feb 3rd 2010  (Read 16966 times)

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My proposed extensive MACI - Feb 3rd 2010
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »
G'Day,
I'd like to start by thanking all the contributers to the A.C.I. board - I have been an avid reader of all your expert 'real-life' experiences for some months now - a heartfelt thank you.

I'm an older candidate for MACI (53) but don't feel old! I've been blessed with trouble-free knees through decades of netball, tennis, squash along with the knee friendly stuff like swimming, pilates, yoga; that is, until earlier this year when the 'burn' started, just like a blow torch to the lateral side of my left knee. After months of PT, X-ray, MRI I had my LK scope on 4th Nov where the lateral meniscus was repaired, a partially ruptured ACL was noted, much debridement performed and a biopsy for MACI.

My lesions are large - 4cm squared patello-femoral joint and 5cm squared tibio-femoral joint. Dr recommended a TKR but that seemed so final to me and he agreed I would wear it out in no time so my MACI is scheduled for 3rd Feb. Has anyone else had MACI for large areas? I'd be very interested to hear your experience.

Meanwhile I'm shopping for crutches, shower stool and the like; thinking of investing in a laptop and have joined the internet scabble club!

I'm a little apprehensive about the first couple of weeks at home as I live alone - my friends and family all work. I would appreciate any advice about managing alone.

I'll continue to follow your threads as I find it fascinating reading.
Take care of all those knees out there.
7of9
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:50:26 AM by SevenofNine »
May 22 2013 RK LR & medial capsular plication, debridement, meniscus repair
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI
Nov 4 2009 LK scope - meniscus repair, debridement,      biopsy for MACI

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
Re: My proposed extensive MACI
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
lose any extra fat your carrying as much as possible in the time frame left
go to gym and stregnth upper body core legs as much as possible
buy some whey protien so you can have shakes during yhe day which will help you hold onto muscle
practice on crutches before hand
see if someone can pop in every so often to help out if needed

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:53 AM »
Hi the voice, thanks for your suggestions.
My arthroscope put me out of action for a bit but have now got back to the gym, pilates and spin classes at this stage and can feel my leg muscles kicking back in ;)

I've ordered my crutches online so should arrive any day and I intend to practice as I've never been on crutches before - I've no idea how a person on crutches can carry stuff; don't mean what you can swing in a bag around your neck but like a cup of coffee or a plate of whatever??

I've never tried protein shakes but will investigate.

Happy new year.
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »
Hey 7of9.  Good luck.  Managing by yourself can be tough.  I was lucky and had help on most days... a backpack to carry things, and perhaps a thermos if you want coffee might be wise.  Then you can close the top and put it in the pack to get back to bed/couch. Keep some snacks in packages handy as carrying a plate of food is impossible, haha.  Soup in the thermos would also work though :)

I was able to bear weight after my ACI, but not after the osteotomy.  Being able to put your foot down helps a lot! 

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Being on your own is tough.  It may be worth getting some sort of rota together to get friends and family to look in on you each day.

If you're on crutches it's near impossible to carry a cup of tea/coffee or whatever.  I got to using a trolly for a bit, but only useful if the floor is level.  Another trick is to get surfaces sorted out so you can move cups from one surface to another by turning on your good leg.  One trick (not tried) is to get a skate board or something and see if you can drag it on the crutches (recommend practicing first).  Otherwise, it's drinking and eatin whatever you can have from a thermos! ::)

Hope some others have some better suggestions!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
Hi Room 101 & Rennschnecke,
thanks for your ideas - love the backpack (I have a few of these) & could stash them pre-op with non-perishable treats/snacks hahah Seriously I do have a travel mug buried somewhere in my kitchen that will fix the coffee fix - no pun intended :D

Don't know about the soup - it'll be high 30s (degrees centigrade) here in Feb & I think of soup as cold weather food though it does come in the chilled variety... maybe.

I have my hospital pre-admission booked for 19/01 with lots of questions (mostly gleaned from this site) My OS advised me that I would be NWB for 8 weeks but I guess this may change post-op. Could this be size and location of lesions? Room 101 I thought all MACI patients were NWB post-op? is this not so? I will be staying in hospital one nite at this stage.

Today I advised work that I wouldn't be there for Feb or Mar - they seemed a bit stunned at the length of time; appears to be a lack of understanding this surgery in the general public but then this takes time.

Happy thoughts,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Hey 7of9 -- I am in USA, so had AMZ & ACI... not MACI.  I was weight bearing to tolerance in the brace after ACI.  I was no weight for 2 months after AMZ... not even a heel touch, haha.  It's so cold here and so warm there.  How about protein bars & such for food then  ;)  -- you can carry those pretty easily.  It sure is simpler with people around to help out.  I was really lucky that my Mom came and stayed for a while, and my hubby took some time off work also, or he worked from home.  I was only alone a day or two per week.  In all honesty, I just went kinda hungry  -- part of it was my addiction to Ratchet & Clank on PS3  ;D

Take care & best of luck to you.

Room 101
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »
Hi 7of9 [are you a Borg?]

I've just remembered another trick – you could scoot around in a wheelie chair (note the need for level floors again).  I imagine that you could have your meal in a bowl on a tray with the necessary implements and then power yourself with the good leg.

BTW I was full weight bearing post-MACI (in UK) as the defects were patellofemoral but was in a brace for 6 weeks – absolutely no bending with weight.  If you are NWB I guess your defects will be on the condyles which take compressive forces on standing.

How will you get your food in?  Do you get things delivered to the door?

Rennschnecke
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »
Aah if only I was Borg Rennschnecke I could plug myself in and regenerate hahah yes a bit of a 'trekkie' - guilty as charged! I like the computer chair idea - that will work for me as it will be unused at the computer desk anyway; can't see my braced leg fitting under that. One of my lesions is the patellofemoral but the other is the lateral femoral condyle so yes weightbearing area and therefore NWB for me.

Room 101 is Rachet & Clank a tv show or a computer game ? seems to have kept you occupied. Yes I'm a bit of a fan of muesli bars so that's something to keep me going. I got my crutches yesterday - took me a while playing with the heights to adjust them to what I think correctly - I've started practising & found it very hard work hahah but can only improve from this point  ;)

As for food I will precook and freeze and also buy a stack of frozen dinners - I do have a sister here who works but I'm sure will shop for me at weekends. My friends have also offered to assist when they're available.

Best food for the mind is talking to you Knee gurus online - thanks.

It's boiling here today 37degrees and climbing; bushfire weather. I spend the afternoon in the local pool - bliss!

Take Care,
7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »
Hi 7of9,

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op from my patella ACI. I am in a brace, but allowed to put approximately 50% of my weight through my leg with the crutches. My OS explained that as long as the leg is straight there is no stress on the patella. I think you said you had another defect in the tibio-femoral joint, so that is probably why you are NWB for the whole 8 weeks.

I am in college, so I had my surgery done over Christmas break. My mom took off work to stay home with me the first few days and then my whole family was home for two weeks, so I was really lucky and had plenty of help. However, now I am back at school and more or less on my own. Like others have said, a backpack comes in really handy. I have also found that a travel mug and/or thermos works well for carrying coffee. I also have found that bottle water, juices, and sodas are easy to toss in the backpack. Also, it might be good to stock up on crackers and other plain foods. I found I mostly ate crackers and toast and such for the first week or so after surgery as I didn't have much of an appetite.

Have a good weekend!

mhsflute07
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:34:45 AM »
Hi mhsflute07,
sounds like the backpack is the goer - I just have to keep it stocked & yes I'm a big water fan; drink 2-3 litres a day just to keep hydrated in this heat. Though I love the heat, may sound like I'm whinging haha.

How is your pain at 3.5 weeks post? Do you drive to college? It's my left leg that's defected (probably my right is too but there's no pain there so why look hahah) & I drive an automatic though I will have to wait until I'm at least weightbearing to drive for safety.

How soon after surgery could you have a shower? I've just ordered some tegaderm online, a waterproof cover for the incision - something I discovered on this site.

The phamacies here are hopeless - you wouldn't think I live in the capital of Australia - so I've been ordering stuff online.

Sorry for so many questions, hope you don't mind.
You too enjoy the weekend.
7of9

Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »
I think you can take a shower whenever if you can keep the wound dry.  More problematic is the NWB constraint.  A stool and/or chair would be very useful (if you can fit them in).  Beware of slipping.

I've bought loads of stuff online, ice packs, compression and icing straps, icing machines ...  You get the idea!

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 03:42:31 AM »
Hi 7of9,

My post-op was not bad at all. I was mostly really sore. I was off narcotic pain meds by 2 days post-op. Since then I've just been taking Tylenol as needed (not allowed to take Advil or any NSAIDs for 2-3 months). Now, at 3.5 weeks the soreness is much less and I'm down to taking Tylenol mostly just at bedtime. However, I've been more sore the last few days from crutching around campus.

I live in an apartment off campus, so I drive to campus everyday (2 miles or so). My surgery was on my right knee, so I didn't start driving until I came back to school last week. I think my OS said I could drive as soon as I was off narcotics, but I was still too tired/groggy and didn't have enough control of my leg.

I was allowed to shower 24 hours after surgery, but I had to wrap my leg with saran wrap to keep the incision dry. Once the stitches came out around 2 weeks post-op I was allowed to get my leg wet.

mhsflute07
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
hey 7of9.  happy monday.  ratchet & clank is a video game... there are several of them, at least 1 for ps2 and 2 for ps3.  those were the ones I have.  They're silly, but loads of fun adventures  ;D

Offline SevenofNine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »
Hello, it's nice to be over 'hump' day (mid week workday) and on the downhill slope to the weekend...yes!! Thanks for the reassurance that showers are a goer early post op. I have my pre admission appointment with the hospital next week and have learnt that another hosipital here has a loan service for such things as shower stools, toilet raisers, aids etc so I can get a referral at my appointment.

I'm typing this on my new laptop - I love it - in preparation for post op. Don't think I'll fit under my desktop PC with my left leg in a brace full extension! I have less than three weeks to go now and am getting a tad scared of the whole thing. I have an extra long weekend break coming up with Australia Day public holiday on 26th January when I'm off to the Australian Open Tennis in Melbourne - my last little trip before I'm grounded haha.

Renn, it's comforting to hear that you have sourced so much stuff on the internet in the UK - that it's not only here that the local stores are lacking! My tegederm arrrived today; Mhsflute, saran wrap must be like cling film here? your road to recovery is certainly impressive, minimal drugs, driving to college and crutching around campus - well done, you young thing hahaha.

Room 101, yes I can understand you being engrossed in your games - enjoy ;)

Take care, 7of9
Feb 3 2010 LK MACI

support