Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Primo Uni in June Done screwed up the other knee :(  (Read 1463 times)

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Primo Uni in June Done screwed up the other knee :(
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:07:17 AM »
Man ok, so yall know I had a uni replacement RK in June.  Knees great no probs. Hello bad news fell into a hole in the yard, left knee swollen painful stairs suk, OS did cortisone inj it helped the overall muscle pain, but in MFC pain is still quite intense.  OS ordered MRI which shows a large focal cartilage defect MFC a smaller focal cartilage defect under the knee cap, also large joint effusion and chondromalacia grade 3/4.  U guys help me out here what are my options?? I really really dont want to go MFX, my other one failed hence the uni. Is grade 3/4 chondromalcia bad? Whats the treatment for that??  I am a nurse and have a new job in a docs office which isnt as demanding as at the hospital.  So I do get down time to make call backs and such.  Help me out here KGs PLZ!!!!.....Later
PEACE OUT
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Primo Uni in June Done screwed up the other knee :(
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
Hi Michele,

God, I'm still bloiwn away by the bad luck of screwing up the other knee after your fabulous uni replacement this year...I bet you swore!!

I'm no doc but I'm guessing the 3/4 chondomalacia *might* have been there before the fall, as I link that to wear and tear on the kneecap. I have it, at those levels and its tough as it hurts on stairs, slopes etc and when my knees are bent for too long. But it can respond to conservative measures if you're lucky - my knee caps like ice, stretching, massage, VMO and general quad exercises - all those lovely knee things that do seem to help the patella issues a bit if you're lucky. But its a watching/waiting game - my OS is quite honest that if mine deteriorate I'm looking at PFJR....

In terms of the femoral lesion, well I have one too and am also resisting MFX - seems to fail a lot and not last that long and not let you be overly active......OATS has been suggested, so that might be an option I guess for you depending on the size or else ACI/MACI?

What has the OS suggested?

I hope you get some answers, what a complete BUMMER  :'(

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
Thankx Lottie, I know man it is a total bummer.  Yeah I was kinda thinkin that the chondromalcia was already there.  Im totally Pi**ed that I have a focal lesion that may need, MFX, OATS, ACI or PJKF sux butt man.  Im gonna have to keep on working cuz I just started this job and dont want to be out ya know.  Guess I will be dealin with pain with the usual messures.  Thanx again.............
Peace
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »
Michele,

Does the doc think the focal defect was caused by your fall? Or has everything been aggravated by the fall (perhaps the defect was there already but not causing problems?) and is now in "flare-up" mode? My problems have probably been there for years (always had grinding knees and aches) but because of recent over training and some awkward twists etc its all flared up. I know the defect I have will need attention of one kind or another but it has settled a fair bit with the right regime and meds and stuff. Does buy you some time whilst you think what to do. having just gone through all your other knee stuff I can see just why you don't want another op on the good knee....oh to be able to go get a bionic knee in the supermarket and just load it in....I just know my other knee has similar issues but I'm too scared to have it scanned as 80% of the time it behaves OK!!!

Get into the old chondromalacia conservative regime as much as you can - ice, quad contractions, SLRs, massage around the kneecap, I find long deep calf stretches help mine a lot, I've also bought a small e-stim machine called a Neurotrac Sports that was about 65 pounds in the UK, that acts a bit like TENS but fires the muscles to help the kneecap sit a bit better (in theory!). Plus loads of trusty glucosamine and chondroitin as the chondro is wear and tear and extra gubbins won't hurt it....try not to kep the knee bent for too long, that always sets mine off a treat, no more long movies for me!

take it easy,

Lottie x :D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
Hey guys....Im still sufferin with this dang knee...I hardly can get over the fact that one knee got well and then i go and injury the other one same dang thing, MFC focal defect...The vicodin helps  most of the time, dont know what i would do without them, cuz i cant go under the knife right now just started this job in October I mean i have vacation time but u know dont want to put them in a bad place. Man the stairs are torture..really torture. sudden stops and turns are bad too.  Anyone out there living with this kind of pain any advise would be GREATLY appreciated...peace................
Michele
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

support