Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture 11 months post-op  (Read 771 times)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture 11 months post-op
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »
Hi, this is my first post on this site. Everybody has posted some really good thoughts so i wonder if i can get some input on my particular situation. I am 11 months out from microfracture on quarter size defect on weight bearing area of lateral femoral condyle. I was on crutches for 7.5 weeks, CPM for 6. I went from the crutches to normal walking and activities with no pain, limp, or any other problems. Started to have pain about 2 months after i started walking which has persisted. My OS did MRI 2 weeks ago and said it looks good. He did not have an explanation for the pain but said to go ahead and step up my activity level if i wanted to-anybody else still having pain despite the knee supposedly being "healed"?
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
Re: Microfracture 11 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:15 PM »
I'm in a similar situation, although had mfx about 10 months ago in a non weight-bearing area.  An MRI at 6 months shows good fill, yet I still have some pain, although much less than before the surgery.  I have also been encouraged to not worry too much about the pain and anything I do at this point won't really make it worse. 

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Microfracture 11 months post-op
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
Yes!  I had a chrondoplasty on the medial femoral cordyle in a non-weightbearing area and was never given crutches, I was told to weight bear as tolerated.  I used a cane outside the home for about 14 weeks, which is when I lost the limp and could walk normally again.  My walking is not too painful in its self but I do get the odd stabbing pain in the lfc and my recovery has been long and difficult.  When my OS saw me 10 weeks post op he couldn't believe how poorly I was doing and sent me for an mri, which under the NHS I had to wait 6 weeks for.  The MRI said my chrondoplasty had healed, but I had transient osteoperosis (temporary bone loss) and possible Reflex Sympathic Dystrophy.  I had intermitant pain in the lfc, which is where I have the bone loss.  My pain is usually very sudden and is like a stabbing.  Both my OS and PT are not concerned with this, they say my nerves and and my bone density will return to normal with exercise.  I trust them very much, but hope to see someone in the new year to rule out anything really nasty.  From what I've heard and read about RSD you do not want it, trust me, its bad news.  I also get some pain in the region of the chrondoplasty, which also is very intermitant, my pain usually comes and goes quickly.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support