Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: unique pet tricks  (Read 5179 times)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
unique pet tricks
« on: September 19, 2003, 02:36:48 AM »
Does anyone's pet do a unique trick? :D
I taught my cat to sit up and "beg." We call it doing the "prairie dog" because he sits up with his front legs hanging down just like the prarie dogs do. He will do it repeatedly for baby food - he likes the chicken paste.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline chica_2626

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Why knees?
Re: unique pet tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 05:48:38 AM »
Well I don't know how impressive it is, my dog can do a lot of tricks, sit, sit "pretty" (sitting up on his hind legs), shake paws, lay down, roll over, but something kinda unique was I taught him his right from his left.  I'll have him sit and say "Logan give me right/left" and he lifts whichever paw I say to shake.  Not too difficult, but people always think it's neat!

Rachel
Lateral Release Right Knee 6-21-02
Peroneal Brevis Tendon Repair Right Ankle 6-29-05

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 06:24:35 AM »
Not so much of a trick but since the dogs in our house are the princesses....When it starts to get cold outside and there is a bit of snow, when we are on our walk(we have 8 acres so we walk around the property) Buds feet get cold so he will hop from one foot to the other and stop walking and then princess bud gets carried in the warm jackets(yep, inside) all the way back home. This is the same dog that will cry so loud until he can get under the covers with you, that you will sacrifice your bed just to make him be quiet. Abby his sister will take your head off rather than share her pillow.....very scary!!! But they are the babies and we love them.....
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 08:47:36 AM »
Not sure how unique it is, but Bear (my purebred Golden Retriever and best buddy) will hunt his own food bowl so I don't have to find it.

Often in the summer we'll feed him outdoors because he likes to run around a lot.  We'd do it in the winter sometimes as well (he couldn't care less if it's cold, wet, or warm outside; he likes it all and probably prefers wet) but then he tracks mud, etc, onto the floors.  Anyway, when he eats outside he'll carry his bowl around the yard after it's empty and leave it somewhere along the way.  When we go to feed him again, we can't find the dumb thing.  One day in frustration I looked at him and said "Bear.  Go get your bowl" and I'll be danged if he didn't go get it and bring it back for me.  Now whenever we're going to feed him, we just tell him to go get his bowl and he'll retrieve it and go lay it next to the bin where the dogfood is.

But he's still a nutbar.   :D

K.
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.

SL99

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 06:32:27 PM »
LoL - this is going to sound a bit weird in amongst the cats and dogs I know, but the young stallion I brought up and trained loved learning tricks. He used to get bored very quickly and loved learning, so we would often teach him little things that not only kept him occupied but also increased our relationship and trust in each other too.

He would shake hands, lifting the right or left foreleg depending on which you asked for. We taught him to stand on a box, something he adored doing as he loved being up on a pedestal! You could get him to bow and lie down on request too and he would often try to "help" me tidy up by following me around the yard with a brush in his teeth, waving it around and normally making more mess for me to clean up - oh well it's the thought that counts I guess!  ;)

I'm pretty sure that he often thinks he's a big dog though, as many a time as a foal he would just come and lay on my lap and fall asleep - the problem is he still tries to now that he's a 15hh stallion! Bless him, I love that horse with every fibre of my body and not being able to see him as often or ride him is the worst part of my darned illness. Oh well, at least I still get to hug him and experiences his particular brand of snorting sweet nothings down my ear!  :)

Great thread dm!

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 06:32:53 PM by SL99 »

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 02:45:30 AM »
This is so funny.

I have a beagle, and she is so smart.  I've been teaching her tricks for years--she shakes with both hands, alternating them, does the prairie dog thing, does a Shamu imitation (leaps in the air for a toy), gives high 5's, can bring me a specific toy, will go fetch her Kong to be filled with treats, and can pick which of my two fists has a treat in it when I hold them both out to her.

The cutest thing by far that I've taught her is 'bang, you're dead.'  I make a 'gun' out of my thumb and forefinger, then point it at her and say "Bang!"  She immediately goes down and rolls over on her side.  It's the funniest thing!  I've yet to see a single person fail to MELT when she does that.

There's no dignity in these tricks, but really, a beagle will do anything for food.  Now if only she'd let me brush her teeth or cut her toenails.....

Heather
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 02:46:44 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 06:17:15 PM »
Hmm been having a think about this, it's not unique but you have to see it to believe it, one of our Labradors can jump up and look through the window to remind us she wants feeding, it's the funniest thing I've ever seen, the expression on her face through the window is hysterical, I've tried to photograph it but it all happens too fast  ;D

My other labradors favourite trick is to see if she can eat til she pops!!!  I'm not joking either  ::)

Our cat died this year but she did some really crazy things in her time, she brought back a bright yellow rubber washing-up glove and dropped it at my feet, goodness knows what it must've looked like, and I can only imagine how many gardens she must've carried it across.  She did the same with a bag of chicken giblets once, dropped them at my feet with the bag still intact!!! :)

Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 02:25:41 AM »
Well, lets see...

Missy--my sons dog a lab and springer spaniel mix--sings "Happy Birthday" with us when we have birthday clebrations.  For an encore, she is afraid of storms and fireworks and can jam herself into a space one tenth her size.

Lady--my very spoiled basset hound pup can smell food that is still in grocery bags and steal it from the bag, out of your hand or like the white tornado.  she can also hear the sound of the doggie treat package from the other side of the house.  she carries the kittens around and gives the other dog a bath a lot.  Most of all, she makes me smile and feel good--and that is the best trick of all.  she was a great Valentine's present from my hubby and has the best personality ever...

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline bethg79

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 07:16:48 PM »
I don't know how unique these things are, but here goes:

I have two manx cats, Mischief and Nonsense.  Manxes are known for their intelligence, and are often called the dogs of the cat world. So here's the list of tricks and various mayhem that they produce on a regular basis:

1) Nonsense loves ear plugs.  They're her favorite toy. Aside from throwing them down our heating vents, she also fetches them if you throw them, throws them up in the air by herself and catches them between her paws, and can throw them across the room by herself.

2) Manxes like water. A lot. When my husband or I go anywhere near the bathroom door, they both jump up onto the sink to get us to turn on the faucet so that they can make a mess and get soaking wet.  This is also their preferred drinking area, because god forbid they use a water bowl.

3) I was playing with a laser pointer with them one day, and Nonsense jumped over four feet to get it on the wall.

4) I have a touch lamp in my bedroom...one of my old cats learned how to turn it on and off by rubbing his nose on it.  This turned into a daily ritual to get attention (and food if we slept in!)

5) Nonsense's 2nd favorite toy: q-tips, which she's discovered fit down the drain VERY well.  Q-tips are now kept in the medicine cabinet.

6) Nonsense can catch flies between her paws while they are flying around.  Once it's in her paws, it's in her belly. She's very adept at grabbing and throwing various objects.

7) Mischief's favorite game: knock things off any table, just to watch them fall.  She sees a pen on the table, she pushes it off, then moves onto the next item. Once everything is on the floor, she goes away. She doesn't play with them. She just runs off. Apparently she just likes watching them fall. The full soda can kept her around for a while, watching as we ran to get towels to clean it up.
Gettin sick of limpin my way through life!

Offline Zocolo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 12:14:02 AM »
Logan can hold and carry a shopping bag.  That was the trick we picked for our advanced obedience class, where everyone had to train a trick at home.  He also knows speak, roll over, and the standard sit, stay, heel, etc.

Our most recent project is learning how to jump over picnic tables.  He's almost got it :)

Offline shellebelle

• Regular Poster
  • Snap Crackle Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 03:53:27 AM »
My 6-year-old standard poodle, Belle, adores tennis balls.  She could be well into a nap and if you say "where's your ball Bellesie?" she'll be up in a split second tearing around the house looking for a ball.

Believe it or not, a boat wake did this to me.

Offline Brooke

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 11:04:23 PM »
I don't think this is much of a trick but Winnie, my cat plays fetch.. Throw her the ball and she brings it right back.. My other cat Jellybean, used the toliet once.. That was just weird but she died a couple of years ago
Brooke
25 Years Old
Lateral Release, Left Knee on 4/12/04
Lateral Release, Right Knee on 1/6/06

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 05:19:29 PM »
My dog Tehgan, can bow.  We taught her to do it, just by saying nice bow everytime she stretched, and then now when you say nice bow...she does it. ::) IT's cute
My horse, well...if you count breaking out of fields and taking a trip into town, a trick, he's real good at that. ::)
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 10:50:18 PM »
When we got Beau from the humane society, he was about 6 months old and already knew how to sit, shake, lay down and sit up.  

He's actually very good and doesn't jump up, but my hubby taught him to stand up on his hind legs and give hugs on command (quite a feat for a 130 + lb dog).  Actually, he's as tall as I am when he stands up.

He also knows the name of all his stuffed animals and will get the correct one on command (Mr. Bear, Ducky, Squeaker).  He likes to carry things in his mouth.  When we take him out, he'll grab a tennis ball out of the container in the garage, run around with it and then put it back when we go back in.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 09:32:21 PM »
My dog, Nubs, can take the top off a one liter coke.

shadehawk

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 12:32:18 AM »
Wow, all your pets are so talented.  My terrier does little things like retrieve the paper and takes it to who you tell him to.  He also knows every one of his toys by name and will retrieve them by name.

Pets are so much fun.  I used to have a horse that would pick up sticks like a dog and retrieve them.  See the pattern here - yes, guess it is my fault.   ;D

Fun though................

ariel

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 07:28:05 PM »
Our Dog just does the "guzzle" - that's like, she guzzles a massive amount of food every day - she doesn't do any traditional tricks, but she can tell when your upset/down etc and she does try and "emotionally" cheer you up by sort of butting up to you with her snout and then licking your face - she's not the brightest, but she's very gentle and loyal.

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 05:12:27 PM »
My bird could actually meow like a cat! I have a kitty, Milo, who is probably one of the most talkative cats you'll ever meet...she's always meowing, barking, crying, ANYTHING...well one day she was crying/demanding for her cat food (we feed her soft food once a day in the dining room, which is coincidently where the bird stays), and the bird just started MEOWING out of nowhere! It sounded EXACTLY like a cat. He never stopped since, and there would even be times where he and Milo would have full-blown conversations with one another. It's the cutest thing EVER! Most people have to see it to believe it, but when they see it happen they are floored, it's so adorable! I dunno if it's a "trick", but it's definitely unique!

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline MedicJess

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • links to post-op pics here too
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »
Oh I'm LOVING the bird and cat talking to each other.... America's Funniest Videos worthy in my mind!

My parents's Russian blue named Ramses has incredibly long toes on his paws. He too loves to kock this off, but then he'll jump down to the and pick them up with his toes!  I once actually saw him pick up a marble, I couldn't believe it! LOL..
Then again, this is also the cat that "barks" at flies.

Jessie
4/96 - sports accident involving LK
6/96- LK scope and "chondromalacia", patellar chondroplasty,
ongoing- bilateral PFS, osteoarthritis, patella alta
12/04- LK LR and TTT
03/25/05 - LK scar tissue removal, patellar chondroplasty, and limited synovectomy for extreme synovitis

Offline dubbin

• Forum Faithful
  • 2 fish in a tank, one says I'll shoot, you drive
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 11:00:20 PM »
We have three ferrets,  Spike, Guiness, and Killer, they are knuckle heads! They don't know tricks, other than begging (oops   ;D ) but they will climb anything they can, they will hide anything small enough that they can drag away, Guiness has actually dug a hole in our NEW carpeting. And they like to play 'feet' where you better have shoes on cause otherwise feet are fair game and they have sharp little teeth!!
They're way cute though, the dimwits...

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 02:11:05 PM »
Let see..

My cat  swims and loves water, and if we tap our shoulder he will jump up onto them.

Our parrot talks up a storm and actually uses words in context. "Thank you" when you  give her something, "night night" when she wants to be covered up, "wake up" when she wants to be uncovered, "Gimmie" when she is just being rude, she adores to play "peek a boo" shouting that all the time then hiding behind a toy or something, "I love you" when she feels like it and the ever popular "I'm a duck, hear me quack, QUACK QUACK".....  That phrase through our vet for a loop once when he asked her "What seems to be the trouble birdie?"  My parrot looked him  square in the face and announced "I'm a duck!"   

Pets, gotta love em.

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 02:36:21 PM »
One of our rabbits actually my sons, if you ask her where she wants the carrot she points with her nose at the bottom og the cage.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kristy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 04:40:46 AM »
I have a dog. She likes to eat plenty of tricks . So when u hold one up. she will get on her two back legs like if she was standing and walk on  her two back legs only to get the treat

Offline lasly

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 06:50:16 AM »
I have a yorshire terrier, he is called roly, we were in out back garden playing with his ball, it was thrown onto the shed roof, oh the dog went nuts, thair was a ladder proped up againsed the shed , i looked in horror to find roly up the ladder ,got his ball, jumped down fron the shed roof, i thought broken leggs ect, no the dog was fine, my son thought that was a neat trick so up the ball went again, eeekkk, but this time roly  jumped down onto the chicken hut then to the ground, had a chase of the chickens, came  to me to play  ball again,
iv moved the ladder as he did slip a few times.
JULY  2003  right knee. key hole, LR.
DEC 2003,   Left knee, key hole,LR.
MARCH 2004,LR Left knee, key hole.and open, with 7 stitches, nasty infection.also found to have heart problems.
APRIL 5th, open LR and Mediel Reffing,9 staples
April 19th Angiogram, (heart).
TTT 28th Aug 2208, left knee,