Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Miniscus Removal.... Running question.  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Hi-Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Miniscus Removal.... Running question.
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
Hello All,

( Info, male athletic 40 year old, 6 '2 198 pounds )

in 2007 I had surgery to repair my torn medial miniscus tear in my right knee.  It was a complex tear. Unfortunately the  repair did not take.  I found out after 3 months of rehab.  :(

Fast forward to nine days agao where I had 50% of my miniscus removed, and have been in rehab 3 X a week since.  The doctor who did the surgery is very optimistic that I will be able to resume running again, ( no steep hills ).  Needless to say I was estatic.   Does this sound right?   

Originally I was told I will never be able to run again.  Maybe that was with the assumption my entire minsicus was being removed.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy Holidays everyone.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Partial Miniscus Removal.... Running question.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
Sure. I ran on half a meniscus for many many years, and now run on none (<---THIS IS ILL-ADVISED). Try to XT when you can, keep your core (hips, glutes, hams, and quads) strong, and def. avoid concrete as much as possible, just for general good knee health...but you'll be fine. After a clip, return to running is anywhere from 4-8 weeks, depending on the person, usually.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline Hi-Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
XT ?  im new to all this lingo lol.  I will take your advice and try to stick to asphault vs concrete.  Do you think any type of brace for the first six months will help or any special type of shock absorbing running shoe or insert will help. 

I'm not a huge 20 mile a week running type of guy, but would love to run 4-5 miles twice a week.  So thrilled and relieved it sounds like I will be able to do it. 

I would love to hear how much running and how long you went on the 1/2 before needing the rest of the miniscus removed?

Thank you so much.  I was getting nervous that I wasn't getting any replies!

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
XT just means cross train. But since running isn't your primary sport anyway, you should be fine (I was a runner).

Nope, no brace...just make sure you follow your physical therapist's protocol to the letter and are smart about stuff and you'll be fine. Keep your quad strength up, same with yoru core, and that will help long-term. If you can find dirt or grass to run on, or even crushed gravel, all those are even better than macadam or blacktop/asphalt. (plus they help with fine motor control and proprioception, as a bonus) I do a lot of running on gravel trails or on grass next to the sidewalks.

As far as shoes...as long as you've got the right shoe for your foot and gait (neutral, motion control, etc.), you're fine there too. If what you've been running in seems to work for you--no injuries b/c of them, etc--you're probably still good to go.

My first partial menisectomy was in 1989, when I was 12. I went on to run all through high school and in college, and kept running steadily after college. They took out some more in 2002, leaving me with about a quarter. I had the last of it removed this past fall.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

support