Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chrondoplasty/Microfracture  (Read 3173 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Chrondoplasty/Microfracture
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:53 PM »
I had a chrondoplasty on the mfc back in the summer, 20 weeks ago.  I was worried very much that it might have failed until last week when i got the results of my mri that said it had not.  It also said a couple of frightening things but my OS and PT have reasured me about them.  i was so happy that my chrondoplasty had not failed.  I've had varying amounts of pain in the mfc, which are very intermittant and I've gone weeks on end without any at all.  I was told though that 12 qweeks was the make or break period and between 11-13 weeks I suddenly started to get a heck of a lot better and lost the limp and cane at 15 weeks.

What I'd like to know is how long does the chrondoplasty last with care?  My OS has been doing them for about 10 years and he's never known of any of his patients reporting a failure in that time.  He's optimistic I'll be back into MA before long.

Also, for those who have failed chrondoplasties and mffx's do yiou often know yourself without a scan that they have failed?

Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Chrondoplasty/Microfracture
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
Mine just never really got "better" feeling. At my one-year follow up, it had all failed. So...did I know? Sort of?
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
Would walking up hill damage it or just aggrivate it?  I've noticed that people seem to take at least about 7 or 8 months before it settles in completely.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
Sorry about the short post I was in arush.  What I'd really like to know from those who have had chrondoplasty or mfx is:

Has your knee returned to completely normal or has it remained stiffer than the other leg?  Both my legs have full ROM but my operated one still feels stiffer and more cumbersome when I walk.

The other thing is, when the op has failed do you get the pre-op pain in the operated region or is the pain usually different?

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
Hmmm. I guess it's hard for me to answer, as mine was sort of a long term problem. After about 6  months or so, my daily activities seemed to be better... I still had some stiffness, pain, and swelling, but less than before. But then again, I wasn't yet back running or anything yet, so that could also be why my swelling etc. was down.

At my one year+ follow up, I was BETTER, but I don't think my legs were equal--but I just assumed that was natural.

I think, at least form talking to folks who've had a successful surgery, that some differences (noticeable ones) are common for as much as a year later though.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
I'm getting some pre-op pain on the mfc, I'm worried it might have failed or at the very least be aggrivated.  I did have a little pain there after the chrondoplasty before I found out that it hadn't failed, so I still think there's a chance it hasn't failed.  Gunna ask for another mri in the new year.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
I had chrondoplasty on  my  MFC and LFC.   At three months I knew It was not getting better.  The doctor started viscosupplements to help ease the pain.  I can tell you it did take the edge off but  still did not have a functional knee  I also had cortizone  shots every three months and that helped as a band aid.   During my visits I had standing x-rays..  and it showed my joint collapsed on the medial side.  Was on crutches and had an unloader brace during the year period.    I ended up with a TKR.    Not saying you will but there is alot of things your doctor can do if you keep  on him for solutions.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
I've been gradually getting more and more pain in the mrc this week, but it is not as bad yet as pre op and it is not always in the same place.  Sometimes it is next to the patella, sometimes righton the inside, where the tibia and femur join and alsoround the back but still on the medial side.  Sometimes it is a slightly dry, itchy feeling and at others it feels like warm water is being poured onto it and I get stabs of pain.  it's also become a bit clickier in the last couple of weeks and I just can't get it as strong as the other leg.

I had to walk up a hill in the snow, when the car wouldn't go.  I don't think that has made it fail but i think it might have aggrivated it.  That was a week before Xmas and I felt quite good over the xmas period.  Now though I'm very worried that the chrondoplasty has failed, but I'm still hoping itis only aggrivated.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a chondoplasty to form fibrocartliage?

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:50:08 AM »
My OS told me by six months post op. I would be as good as I was going to get with the chrondroplasty..

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
My Os said I'd be back to normal in a couple of months.  When it wasn't right in two he sent me for an mri, which took 8 weeks because of the waiting list.  I seemed to get a bit better and at 4 months thought I'd be back to bnormal by Christmas.  I felt reasonably well, though still not right over Christmas and the last week as been awful.  I'm 6 months next week, I'm still not fully functional, I still can't kneel, go up and down stairs and am pretty certain I'll never run.   To top it off I'm less stable than pre-op.

What are the options when chrondoplasty has failed?  MFX, OATS, ACI?

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
Gunna have some more intense pt  and if that doesn't work I'm going to ask for another scan.  If that shows nothing and symptoms settle down I won't worry, but if they don't I'll see another Os and possibly have another scope to find out what's going on in there.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:57:13 AM »
I did a ton of aqua therapy and had a TKR.     I had issues with my LFC and MFC in weight bearing spots.. so my next steps may not be exactly yours..

If you are lucky..  You might be a candidate for MACI and an HTO ..  Or  PKR..    One of those questions  you have to do some research on with a few doctors and pick their brain on what they feel is best for you..   They normally look at  your scope photos.. and  Xrays... and talk with them on what you can and cant do...  It is not one of those.. easier solutions..  if your feeling pain.. You might want to ask about visco supplements.. as a band aid... They help reduce the pain as well.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »
Can you tell me what MACI and HTO are?  I'm hoping there will be other things to try before I come to any kind of replacement.  The lesion was non-weightbearing and I'm not in constant pain.  Rather than pain, it is mostly a feeling of awareness in that area that something isn't right.  The pain I had the other night was about 5-6 and really shocked me, but I've not had anything as bad since.  I'm still hoping it hasn't failed and that this is just a hiccup and the biggest part of the problwem is it's so difficult to find out what is actually going on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask about viscosupliments, and would consider synvisc, but I'm not going near cortisone yet.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »
Can you tell me what MACI and HTO are?  I'm hoping there will be other things to try before I come to any kind of replacement. 

MACI=matrix-induced autologus chondrocyte implantation
They harvest your cells, then grow them in the lab. Then the chondrocytes are implanted into the defect.

HTO= High Tibial Osteotomy
Basically cutting the tibia and either lengthening one side (opening wedge) or shortening it (closing wedge) to realign the forces being transmitted in the knee. DFO= distal femoral osteotomy...same type of thing, but on the femur

support