Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: re: ADVICE needed-best nyc&dc orthosurgs for cartilagekneesurgery  (Read 1412 times)

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I and a friend could use advice.  Best NYC and Wash DC ortho surgeons for person with major cartilage knee problems needing surgery.  Its frustrating and frightening to hear different things from different ortho surgeons.  If you don't know anyone who works at the hospitals (nurses, doctors etc) how do you find out who the best really are.  I saw a physician at local university hospital for another issue. Asked him about two ortho surgeons in town.  One you always hear about as being the sports team physician and lots of p.r.  as being one of the best.  But when I ask this physician, he says no I wouldn't see him. I'd see this ortho who worked on my son.  I asked the doctor if its because of the ortho surgeon's well-known arrogance.  He says yes. I said is it also because of his o.r. skills? He says yes. And thats all he says.  Of course he was referring me to the ortho surgeon who works at his hospital. His son had surgery with him and it went well.  Who knows.  I'm a former top amateur ahtlete and want to get back to sports - atleast somewhat. I'm older but just can't sit around so the surgery really needs to work. 
Help!
Advice please on physicians in nyc and dc. thanks!

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
Re: re: ADVICE needed-best nyc&dc orthosurgs for cartilagekneesurgery
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
I know you are looking for a good surgeon in NYC or DC, but if you can manage to make it into MA their are some great surgeons in Worcester and Boston for cartilage injuries. I went to Umass Memorial Hospital in Worcester and they had an entire team of orthopedic surgeons who had done fellowships in sports medicine. I had Dr. DeAngelis do my microfracture surgery and he did a great job, I'm not sure if he is considered the best, but plenty of people around my area have heard of him. I live in Western MA which is about an hour away from Worcester and all my original surgeon who was one of the best in Western MA recommended Dr. DeAngelis. If you are needing an ACI/carticel surgery though, then your best bet is to make your way out to Boston and see Dr. Minas who is considered one of the best ACI surgeons in the country.

If you can't make it out to MA, then keep looking in DC and NYC. Your best bet is to find a hospital that is directly affiliated with a medical school since these hospitals are more up to date technology-wise. They also have higher requirements for incoming residents from medical school which means they turn out good surgeons. Then your next best bet is to look for a surgeon who has completed a fellowship in sports medicine, if the doctor has only completed a residency in orthopedics, it means they are a general orthopedist whereas someone who has completed a sports medicine fellowship has done an additional 1-2 years beyond their residency and there job is to deal with patients such as yourself who would like to get back to playing sports and being very active. You can usually find the profiles of every doctor by looking at the hospitals websites, the profile usually includes the amount/type of training that they did and the specialties that they are trained to treat.

Hope this helps...
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft

Offline mkurz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC is your best resource in NY.  Find a doctor who specializes in your problem and is on your insurance.  They have an information number where they will give you a list for this.  I don't think you can go wrong with the doctors here.

Offline hanellin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
In DC Dr. Shaffer is a well known ortho and he did my fulkerson osteotomy.  I really like him!

Offline BadHairDay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
Re: stress fracture after fulkerson
I had a fulkerson osteotomy on my left knee the end of July.  Everything was a success! I was on crutches nwb for 6 weeks and then began walking without crutches after 8 weeks.  However, now it is December and I developed pain and bad tenderness in my shin.  The ortho took an x-ray last week and discovered a stress fracture from the osteotomy site down my shine. SO I am back on crutches until January when I see the dr. again.  Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Offline dybinnyc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »
Dr Beth Shubin Stein at HSS is excellent for this. My husband is an MD and I have access to a lot of MD's and she came highly recommended from her peers in her specialty. I had multiple knee surgeries in the past from  fall when I was 17 (now 35). When I was 17 I dislocated and fractured my kneecap, tore my ACL  etc.. I had a TTT, lateral release and a meniscal repair.  I was doing well until 11/09 when i stepped on a tennis ball, and dislcoated my knee again...This resulted in an MPFL reconstruction, OATS to the back of my knee cap, removal of bone that fractured when my patella dislcoated and hit my lateral femoral condyle and a lateral release.  I have the operative report if u r interested. 
The recovery has been traumatizing. I spent a week in the hospital due to intractable pain, then had so much scar tissue in the joint that the therapy itself was just as painful.  An MUA was not off the table; however, my therapist is no nonsense and did not back down when i cried..in fact he would wrench so hard on my knee he would hold me down so he could rip the scar tissue..we both were able to hear it rip...i also spent 6 weeks on a CPM machine 8 hours a day and NWB..pretty hard with 3 kids that are under 5. I will answer any questions you have.