Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: microfracture recovery  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Tom Footballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: microfracture recovery
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
Hi,

I am now 8-9 months post microfracture surgery and I am considering my return to sport (football / soccer). Has anyone else returned successfully to sport?

I had a 2mm sqrd grade 4 OCD, I'm 26, and the surgery was 2 weeks after injury. The knee has recovered to about 90% of what I would consider normal and it has been like this for some time (still get a bit of swelling or heat when standing) however I have started some light jogging on grass and this went OK. Now for the big decision, go back into competitive sport or stay as I am and be thankfull I can walk???

Thanks 

Tom

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
Do you have a mri or anything scheduled to see what the current condition is? Have you been working with a PT?

I had a MF in 2006, at that time, I had a lateral femoral lesion of appx. 2 sq. centimeters. By about 18 months post op, I had returned to running, cycling, and swimming at a normal level. (Although I did reduce running to 3-4 dpw, instead of 7)

I would suggest touching base with your PT and getting evaluated...then if you get the okay, start a sport specific regiimine and ease back into it.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »
Your doing pretty well.  I had a chrondoplasty for grade 3 lesion and at 9 weeks I couldn't even think about a return to sports.  18 weeks and now I'm think maybe I'll be alright to go back, though I have been told I will get back in the new year.  I've been told niot to do too much running though, especially not down hill.l
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
Hi there man I feel for ya. I had MFX in Sept 08, the pain was incredible.  It totally sucked, I was laid out for 8 weeks.  Then come to find out it failed and I had to have a uni replacement.  You can google MFX, the success rate is not real good.  I dont want to bring you down but I also dont want you to keep hurting when theres something you can do about it, Good Luck
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
the chrondoplasty has worked, but I've lost bone density, which is a bit scary.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Tom Footballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
mmrocker13

cheers for your reply. I dont have a MRI booked as the surgeon said they are 'expensive', I was discharged by the physio at 7months post op and he was non-commital regarding return to sport (covering his arse i expect). However I am thinking of booking an appointment with either to put my mind at rest. Probably the Surgeon as his initial outlook was quite possitive.

Are you still OK in the sports that involve running now it's a few months after you returned to play? 

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »
mmrocker13

cheers for your reply. I dont have a MRI booked as the surgeon said they are 'expensive', I was discharged by the physio at 7months post op and he was non-commital regarding return to sport (covering his arse i expect). However I am thinking of booking an appointment with either to put my mind at rest. Probably the Surgeon as his initial outlook was quite possitive.

Are you still OK in the sports that involve running now it's a few months after you returned to play? 

My MF was actually in 2002--I don't know why I typed 06 (brain fart, I guess)... But anyway, I was fine running for quite a while, although my MF did fail. I would have been better off if it DIDN'T fail, of course, but... I don't think the running was the cause of the failure, really. My defect was fairly good sized, and I had other issues.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

support