Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL full tear  (Read 818 times)

Offline Jonah00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL full tear
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:18:55 AM »
I had a full ACL tear about 6 years ago playing ball hockey. Someone fell on my knee and tore ACL and had mild tear of MCL. I went to Physio but they told me to do exercises and did not pick up on the tear. I continued playing squash and skiing for a year before my knee started bothering me and nearly gave out once playing squash.
I got an MRI and went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that there wasn't too much movement so a brace should be good enough when I play sports.
I have worn a brace for the past 4 years and have continued skiing, playing hockey and in the past year road biking seriously (3,000km over the summer).
I felt very good with my knee and never had an incident so I decided to start up squash again ia couple of months ago. I play twice a week with my brace (Don Joy titanium), train biking indoors twice a week and hockey once a week. I feel good playing and exercising but recently my knee has been quite sore at night(not swollen). My ortho told me that the brace virtually corrects the problem and the biking reinforces the muscles around the knee.
Am I tempting fate by playing squash. Are there exercises I can do to further reinforce the knee so I can do without the surgery and should i just go ahead with the reconstructive ACL surgery while I am still relatively young (45).
Finally, If I do get the surgery how long does it take for me to get back to work (I know it takes 9 months to a year to get back to active sports)

Jonah
Shouls

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
Re: ACL full tear
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »
I had a partial ACL tear that (alongside my cartlidge problems) was causing my knee to give way. I had a 2nd operation which fixed my ACL and (hopefully) my cartlidge issue.
For me, the ACL reconstruction using a hamstring graft was a no-brainer.

Before the last operation the PT advised that i build up my leg muscles - which is what i did and it really helped. I brought leg weights and was doing 10kgs per leg, leg raises holding the leg off the ground for minutes at a time. I brought a exercise bike and was doing 5 miles+ a day and lots of other dips and presses to build up leg muscles - but every so often the knee would give way - which is why i had it done.

You've got to weigh up whether you need the operation and if you can handle the recuperation period - as the last 17 days since my ACL repair, have been difficult to say the least. I've had days when i felt like i could do anything and then days when i've sat on my ass and felt really depressed. It's hard losing your independence and having to give this up, albeit temporarily, whilst someone else does all those jobs 'you should be doing'

I'm 36, so a tad younger than you. If your surgeon isn't recommending you have the surgery, then i'd put it off for a while at least, as from what you say your managing quite nicely without it.

Good luck whatever you decide.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

support