Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Major setback  (Read 1546 times)

Offline bumknee83

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Major setback
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »
Well I had an HTO/MPFL repair Oct 15.  Did great up until last Fri afternoon.  Was getting up from the floor and kneep popped.  I sustained a displaced transverse fx of the patella.  Mon morning I had semi-urgent surgery-ORIF, stayed in the hospital overnight and then came home.  Doing goood but in alot of pain.  I think the best invention in this world has been a cryocuff.  Its controlling the pain alot.  Surgeons already warned me its giong to be a long drawn out recovery.  Hes going to be very cautious and conservative with therapy so it will take longer.  They dont want to stress the patella or the ligament even more.  The patella is one of the worst breaks you can have in your body as far as pain and complications go.  Therapy will start the 29th of Dec.  For the time being iIm supposed to be lazy not doing anything, no strenous activities, no excersises or anything.  Only ankle pumps to keep the swelling at bay.  I really thoguht I just popped the joint like you would pop yoru fingers or toes.  When I was in the ER and the doc told me I didnt want to beleive it and was just thinking wait till ortho gets here and he'll tell me the truth.  Anyway thats the jist of the last 72hrs or so. 
Apr 05-right MPFL repair
May 08-tore right medial meniscus
Jun-Sept 09 4 patella D/L
Aug 09-had CT scan
10/15/09 rt medial closing wedge HTO/MPFL recon w/ transplant
12/4/09 rt patella fx
12/7/09 rt ORIF
6/10 shifting hardware and non-union
7/10 patella h/w removal
7/12 need tibia h/w removal

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Major setback
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »
Oh NOOOOOOO - sending an emergency supply of hugs and healing rays!
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS