Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 24/7 Knee itch post sugery  (Read 1521 times)

Offline injuredonthejob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
24/7 Knee itch post sugery
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:33 PM »
I had knee surgery back in July 09 and now I have an constant itch right next to my scare.  This thing drives me NUTTS.  I scratch myself raw during the night.

Does anyone else have this same problem.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 24/7 Knee itch post sugery
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
i've  had a bit of itching from time to time around the scars and my pt said it was because the tissue is hypersensitive because the nerves are repairing  where they have been severed when the cuts were made.

I've also found that I still have some small umps of swelling under the scars, which I'm told is a mixture of fluid, scar tissue and old blood.  I was told these would take a while to go away completely, does anyone know how long it tipically takes.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
My scar does not itch all the time but from time to time it itches like crazy. I have found that I put baby lotion on it and that helps.
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »
The lovely itch around and through the scar.  It sure does get annoying at times.  I would make sure you don't have dry skin in that area as well as the scar.  I was plagued with it at the top of my scar.  I would have to lotion it a few times a day.  Also check about some hydrocotizone to help the itch.  Clear it with the OS first as I am not sure how soon after surgery you can put it on the scar.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
I still have some small umps of swelling under the scars. I was told these would take a while to go away completely, does anyone know how long it tipically takes.

Not one doctor or therapist I've ever talked to has said that the lumps in the incision will go away with time. They've all said the opposite, that if left alone they will persist. They have all said to use vitamin E to massage the area. Go against the grain, ie perpendicular to the incision, as scar tissue forms in the same direction as the incision. I didn't really do this after my scope 2 years ago and 2 of my 3 keyhole incisions are still raised and bumpy and rough. I am doing what they say this time, since my way didn't work last time, LOL.

My itch after my scope never went away, but it is maintained using lotion now.

As for my latest surgery, I have probably a 10 inch incision down my thigh and an 8 inch one below my knee. I have seen significant improvement in how flat the few bumpy areas are since using a vitamin E cream to massage the area 1-2 times per day. My current physical therapist said bumps and valleys are likely to occur at the ends of the incision, usually on the end that was closed last and that the areas can be worked flat for a good year after the surgery with good results. All I know is, I've been messaging both with the vitamin E since about 4 weeks post-op once I had my staples out, and I've busted up some scar tissue and worked out the bumps and my incisions are pretty flat and there is hardly any itching. I put the vitamin E on the skin around the incision area too, since the skin was getting dry and peeling even with lotion. Its important to keep the area moisturized in my experience. These surgery scars are way more flat now at 7 weeks post op then my 3 scope holes are after 2 years.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:51:28 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

support