Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I really need some good advice regarding exercise  (Read 745 times)

Offline heretolisten

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I really need some good advice regarding exercise
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:58 AM »
Hi
Newbie here
I will try and be brief. I am a 58 year old male, over the last 14 years or so, I have had 3 arthroscopies in my right leg and one in the left, the last op being bilateral 2 years ago. My latest xrays showed the OS that I need a PKR in my right knee in the not too distant future and probably the same in my left following that.

Now the crazy part. I have been skiing every winter for the last 20 years and cannot bear the thought of giving up. Actual skiing is not possible for me now as I can only manage a few hours then I feel really unstable however, 2 years ago I discovered snow bikes and alhough you wear short skis, you are basicaslly sat down with not too much pressure on the knees. My wife, who has also got OA in her knees really enjoys the biking too.

A week before I go, I have steroid injections in both knees and this keeps me pain free for the duration of the holiday if I am sensible. The problem is, I haven't been very active over the last 6 months or so and I need to start getting some degree of fitness, it's not so much the snow biking but the walking about in ski boots that is painful. Could anyone recommend some exercises to enable me to get some strength into my legs. I cycle a couple of times a week but this is difficult with the weather. I have an exercise bike in the house and have started to use that every day. Is there anything else I can do to strengthen my legs. I know about squats but I find these very painful, should I persevere with these or will that make matters worse. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline MorganaKC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: I really need some good advice regarding exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Hey there,

Sounds like you're on the right track with the cycling and indoor exercise bike. Bikes are really one of the best things for bad knees so stick with it. Squats do build muscle well but they can cause quite a bit of strain on your knees as they're weight-bearing.

There's a series of exercises you can do lying on either side that strengthen your leg muscles, particularly thighs, without putting pressure on your joints. Try lying stretched out on one side, and do straight leg raises, large circles both forward and back, scissor kicks, 3 sets of 10x repetitions. Increase your repetitions as you get better at it. You can also tie weights to your ankles to make it more difficult (or wear your ski boots).

It sounds pansy-ish, but pilates workoutsh have excellent exercises for your legs. Try googling or finding a video online of them and copy. There's a specific one for thighs that targets your quads and hamstrings and after one 20min workout, your legs should hurt like hell. In a good way! =)

Best of luck.
R KNEE
Partial medial menisectomy Nov 05
Partial lateral menisectomy Aug 06
Partial menisectomy/ACLr Apr 07
Partial medial menisectomy May 08
Synvisc Jan 09

Offline heretolisten

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »
Thats a lot,
Some great advice there which I will take on board.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
Hi there,

I have been told swimming is also good for the knee as you are underwater so putting less strain on the knee or hardly any strain at all.

My sister who a orthopaedic nurse advised me to do the following exercises below after my surgery on 16th November. If one of the exercises hurts too much then its best to stop as you could do more harm then good.

a, Ankles pull foot up towards you, and then point it away.
b, Pull your toes towards you, push your knee down and tighten your thigh muscles.
c, Place wedge (or rolled up towel) under your knee. Lift your heel and straighten your knee. Hold for five seconds.
d, Straighten your knee and lift your leg of the bed. Hold for five seconds and slowly lower.
e, Bend knee up and down on the bed. (place a plastic bag under foot so it glides better)
f, Gently bend and straighten your knee whilst sitting.

Also good to get some advise from a Physio on what excercises you can do.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming