Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone had a LCL,PCL, Lateral meniscus, and PLC reconstruction?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline duddythechiro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone had a LCL,PCL, Lateral meniscus, and PLC reconstruction?
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »
I am just about 4 weeks post op.  I had a LCL,PCL, Lateral meniscus, and PLC reconstruction.  The LCL and PCL were repaired using achilles and hamstring allografts.  I am at about 80 degrees flexion and still have plenty of swelling.  I am looking to hear from someone who has had this type of injury and surgery and tell me about their experiences and what to expect in the future.  Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Offline jess8181

• Regular Poster
Re: Anyone had a LCL,PCL, Lateral meniscus, and PLC reconstruction?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »
Hey Duddy

I had acl pcl plc reconstruction a year ago and my case is not the best example because I developed arthofibrosis (excessive scar tissue) and motion is very limited. I had a second surgery and need a third. This does not mean that you will have this complication but be aware that you are at risk by having this type of surgery. Be sure to ice and elivate as much as possible to bring down swelling and a good Physio therapist. How did you injure yourself?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
I had an LCL reconstruction, ACL revision and PLC repair in a 6-hour operation in Aug 2008. I was back skiing within 6 months having rehabbed pretty intensively with the same PT 3 times a week for the first 6 weeks and twice a week there after. I'm currently on day 5 of an intensive training course for skiing, but have taken the day off as the vis is too bad and the powder is freaking me out!  :'(

I am wearing a brace for the LCL recon, my surgeon believes in using them quite extensively post-operatively. He told me to wear it for the first two seasons after the repair, then I can decide whether I want to continue. I have returned to all my other sports as well over the past summer.

There are no two injuries that are identical, the best you can do is find someone who has gone through something similar and compare notes but not use each other as benchmarks. For example my grafts were all autografts, i.e. my own live tissue when it was harvested.

To reduce the swelling and also the risk of excessive scar tissue build up, see if you can get some Lymph Drainage massage. I have had this after every surgery here in Germany and it is excellent for getting rid of the swelling. The only other advice I can give is concentrate on getting FULL extension as that will not harm your grafts, once you have full extension the flex comes more or less by itself. If you have a lack of extension you will continue to limp and the whole bio-mechanical balance of your muscles and joints will be a problem.

Good luck with the rehabbing!

Sue  ;) currently in snowy Sölden, Austria!
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline duddythechiro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:26:25 AM »
Thanks for the insights!  I tore my PCL last January while snowmobiling.  Long store short, my snowmobile tipped on its side and drug me into a tree with my shin hitting first.  I then tore my LCL and meniscus three months later after my foot got caught on the leg of a chair as I was turning aroung.  I tried avoiding surgery, but I couldn't take the fact that about once a week my Posterior lateral corner would subluxate and lock because of the buckethandle menisucs tear I had.  I had to manually reset my knee back into place and this was a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale.  My surgery was 8 plus hours.  I have PT once a weekn which is very intense.  I do intense PT at home and seem to gain a little more ROM everyday. I may try thel lymphatic massage to reduce swelling.  Currently I have moderate pain in the superior portion of my calf, which is really causing me from flexing my knee more.  I am icing several times a day and using occassional ibuprofen.

Offline jess8181

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:02:25 PM »
well you seem to be on the right path duddy, just don't over do it and it helps to take some pain meds just prior to physio. keep us update!

Offline drumminbumm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »
Hi Duddy,
I had LCL and PCL reconstruction about 6 weeks ago. I know yours was a while ago, but i would like to know how your LCL surgery is continuing to do. I have lateral instability even after the surgery that happens wihen the joint it unlocked. The PCL is fixed, which is great. You are one of the only people that have had anywhere near the same type of surgery that Ive found. Hope to hear back from you. good luck

support