Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: need advice to 2nd plica removed , should i keep moving on ?  (Read 933 times)

Pin2Ride

need advice to 2nd plica removed , should i keep moving on ?
« on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
Hello,

I had a large plica removed surgery from left knee about a month and half ago.  it's cause of my athletes life over a 10 years. (Now , I'm 25 years old.)

Generally I felt the same pain in both knees.
My problem was knee pain while sitting and walking.
The knee is better now but I can't say it's perfect.

That's why I'm not sure about removing plica from 2nd knee.

I have been excercising 2-3 times a day for PT.

It works for me but I still feel some pain in knees. right knee (not
operated so far) hurts me more. It's not a big pain, but very annoying feeling and it starts almost immediately when I sit with bent knee.

I wonder now should I remove plica from second knee too? I have doubts sometimes I feel that it's a good idea (when knee pain is irritating)
sometimes I don't feel it's necessary (when the knee is quite ok).

I'm  confused, when my knee was examined doc touched plica and he asked if it hurts and I said that it hurts a little, but actually it was a
normal feeling because plica was pressed. I'm not sure because knee which was operated is not perfect, if it was decision would have been easier.

Then I'm thinking about it cause i was lost a job and want to go back  ASAP but my best-friend is not agree to get me back to work 'til fix the knee problem should be done.

I have to go back to fit on my work 100%  not like same as first job before.(I had very very pain on left knee , it's annoying on  working)

I need advice,plz
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:11:18 PM by Pin2Ride »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: need advice to 2nd plica removed , should i keep moving on ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
Hi Pin,

As you have seen on my thread I also had my medial plica removed on 16th November and as you will know recovery takes time and can be reallly painful at times. Its too early for me to say if you should go ahead with plica removal on your right knee as I do not know yet if my surgery been a success or not as knee still sore and painful and should improve in time I hope as I cannot really do my job on the golf course at the moment.

I dont think your knee or my knee will be 100% after having surgery on it, you will always feel the odd twinge and pain in the knee and may swell up at times and when you have surgery you are taking a risk. Other people are more lucky and have hardly any knee problems after their surgery. 

What does your job involve is it an office job that involves alot of walking and dont get to sit down much as that can prolong your recovery. If it a job where you are sitting down all day then maybe you could go back to work part time and work for half a day rather then a full day.

At the moment I am cautouse about having my medial plica amd fat pad removed as I have seen no improvment in swelling and pain since my surgery 3 weeks ago.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Pin2Ride

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
Thanks Nick,

I spend sometime to think and  be carefully about the benefit after the surgery many time without the advice from the OS. 

He didn't give me any answer about right knee. We will know the result  on next month.

Seriously, I want to keep forward on my future without the knee pain.    So that's why i want to be clearly about the knee problem  will be gone.

I had first time to arthroscopic , I'm still remember how bad is the pain after OR.  it's just pass so fast. 

I know how long to recovery  and pain management  after OR.   I can handle  it.

My left knee is improved  so far and no pain at the moment.  I can walk a lot.

Well, My job is involve the physical to action  to the filed work at outside.   So.. I hate to sit in the office , i can say it. I'm not happy to work in the office..

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
Hi Pin,

Thats ok KG is here to support and help one another and only too happy to reply back to your thread. I know what you have been through having the plica removed so know what its like to recover from and its not easy as people make it out to be who have no idea about knee problems. We have an english saying "no pain no gain" so have to go through pain after surgery before the knee improves again and takes time to recover from the surgery.

I would seek a 2nd opinion from another OS about if you should have the plica removed from your right knee just to see what he thinks should be done. If its affecting your quality of life and feel pain most days then maybe best to have it removed but surgery should be the last resort if all conservative methods have failed.

Good you can cope with the pain and recovery we just have to put up with it until our knees starts to improve.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support